OT: Lexi Thompson wins Dubai Masters | The Boneyard

OT: Lexi Thompson wins Dubai Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Has been able to accomplish a win much earlier in her career then Michelle Wie did. Michelle has two wins in her 10 year career and I suspect Lexi will have considerably more if she plays pro for 10 years. Michelle has had injuries and there are less expectations on Lexi then Michelle had to endure.

Reaction Score
Has been able to accomplish a win much earlier in her career then Michelle Wie did. Michelle has two wins in her 10 year career and I suspect Lexi will have considerably more if she plays pro for 10 years. Michelle has had injuries and there are less expectations on Lexi then Michelle had to endure.
Isn't this #3 for Lexi?? She, I believe, won an LPGA event and another non-LPGA event. She's an incredibly talented golfer and apparently, from all sources, is just starting to tap her talent. She also loves the game and has great desire to continue to improve. Believe her brother is a professional golfer also, maybe on the Nationwaide Tour.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Some of the Wie's expectations and the associated media hype may be attributed to her uber controlling parents B.J. and Bo Wie. I think the pressure that they put on her was way too much for a kid her age.

I have seen both dad's in action on the course. The difference was night and day especially during practice rounds. Dad Wie giving direction to both Michelle and her caddy and dad Thompson on Lexi's bag giving her advice.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Isn't this #3 for Lexi?? She, I believe, won an LPGA event and another non-LPGA event. She's an incredibly talented golfer and apparently, from all sources, is just starting to tap her talent. She also loves the game and has great desire to continue to improve. Believe her brother is a professional golfer also, maybe on the Nationwaide Tour.

Lexi won the 1st stage of Q-School by 10 strokes; and was excused by the LPGA from having to attend the finals.

She is a once in a generation super-talent.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
She is really good but she played a lot of golf this year with mixed results. I'm not ready to assign her walk on water status yet.

Thompson played a total of 13 high level events, 4 on the Euro Tour and 9 LPGA. She won a tournment on each tour which is outstanding given her age. On the other side of the coin she missed the cut in 5 of the 13 events and her average finish was 30th place on the LPGA and 33 rd place on the LET. Outside of the two wins she had no top 10s and only one top 20, a 19th at the AVNET.

More importantly, her LPGA scoring average of 73.81 barely breaks into the tour top 100.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I guess consistency is the name of the game, and at 16 Lexi just hasn't been consistent. Maturity and more experience on the tournament circuit could provide her with this needed ingredient. At any rate, she is a breath of of youth and fresh face so vital to attract U.S. tournament crowds.

Reaction Score
Lexi won the 1st stage of Q-School by 10 strokes; and was excused by the LPGA from having to attend the finals.

She is a once in a generation super-talent.

she actually received her 2012 card because she won the Navistar LPGA Classic.
she petitioned the lpga, and they approved it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
MW was a classic case of too much, too soon. I remember when she was 14 talking about how she wanted to be better than Tiger Woods. Everyone says stupid stuff when they're 14, but unfortunately, she had a microphone in front of her. Her parents didn't help. Playing on PGA tour didn't help. The endorsements didn't help.

Even though she was a bit older, Melanie Oudin had a similar experience on the tennis side of the house. When you have the burden of expectations and the exposure commensurate with someone who's already won a lot, it can be very difficult to overcome.

Hopefully Lexi is able to embrace success and build on it without letting the hoopla derail her. Perspective is not the easiest thing to have when you're 16 and everyone's telling you how great you are.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I read that Lexi has started to work with Jim McLean [sp?] who is a teaching guru at Doral. My impression of her swing is that it is kinda 'home-made'....very athletic, strong and aggressive...maybe not as technically sound as some others.
Someone on this board made the apt [imo] comparison to the swing of Arnold Palmer. If McLean can tweak a few things and keep her strong points intact it should help her consistency.

She has the benefit of a golf-wise family....older brother plays at LSU and her oldest brother has had success on the PGA tour and the Nationwide tour.

BTW: she won the USGAJr Girls [17U] right here in Ct. at the Hartford Golf Club in the summer of 2008 at 13. I had the privilege of watching her play several matches....she hit the ball SO much better than any of her opponents.

Wonderful start to her pro career....hope she gets wise advice and takes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom