Let's talk defensive scheme -one play | The Boneyard

Let's talk defensive scheme -one play

Reaction Score
Huskies score, 7-0. Memphis gets the ball. On third and eight, Memphis lines up with a single back. They put Anthony Miller, their fastest player in the slot on the right, UConn lines up with Chris Britton on Miller, one on one.

Britton never gets within a few yards of Miller, who catches a slant for 23 yards and a first down for Memphis. Why did we have a LB on Memphis best WR on third and long? I do not know.

Later in the same drive. 3rd and 10. Britton lines up opposite the TE on the right side. Britton has him one on one in coverage. He blows by Britton and catches a TD pass.

This is not to blame Britton. This is to blame the coaches who do not put players in a position to succeed. Anyone who doesn't see a problem with our scheme is blind.

I apologize. That was two plays.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Huskies score, 7-0. Memphis gets the ball. On third and eight, Memphis lines up with a single back. They put Anthony Miller, their fastest player in the slot on the right, UConn lines up with Chris Britton on Miller, one on one.

Britton never gets within a few yards of Miller, who catches a slant for 23 yards and a first down for Memphis. Why did we have a LB on Memphis best WR on third and long? I do not know.

Later in the same drive. 3rd and 10. Britton lines up opposite the TE on the right side. Britton has him one on one in coverage. He blows by Britton and catches a TD pass.

This is not to blame Britton. This is to blame the coaches who do not put players in a position to succeed. Anyone who doesn't see a problem with our scheme is blind.

3rd and 10 at CONN 30
(11:02 - 1st) Sean Dykes 30 Yd pass from Riley Ferguson (Spencer Smith Kick)

Well, on the TD, it is #5 scoring the TD so you think Miller was wearing #5 which was normally worn by the TE Dykes.

So, either Crocker messed up by not noticing Memphis's Miller changing jersey's on the sidelines and failed to adjust (a crafty play by Memphis)

Or

Their TE was too fast for Britton and Marshe Terry was too slow to help and you are just making a clown out of yourself.

Reaction Score
3rd and 10 at CONN 30
(11:02 - 1st) Sean Dykes 30 Yd pass from Riley Ferguson (Spencer Smith Kick)

Well, on the TD, it is #5 scoring the TD so you think Miller was wearing #5 which was normally worn by the TE Dykes.

So, either Crocker messed up by not noticing Memphis's Miller changing jersey's on the sidelines and failed to adjust (a crafty play by Memphis)

Or

Their TE was too fast for Britton and Marshe Terry was too slow to help and you are just making a clown out of yourself.

You make no sense. Two plays. Both third and long. The question is why is Britton on the field for third and long? He isn't that fast and he doesn't play well in space. If he is in to rush the QB, fine.

But I didn't identify #5 as Miller. Miller was the first play, he is #3. The TE was the second play. Good grief, keep up.

In any case, having Britton cover #5, the TE, on 3rd and 10 was a dumb use of personnel. And it had a predictable outcome. And having him cover Miller in the slot is flat out insane. He should be out and a DB should be in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Britton turned himself around. you could have blown by him.

Reaction Score
As I recall Sio used to end up covering Tayvon Austin in the slot also. Didn't get it then either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom