Let's talk about Devin Carter | The Boneyard

Let's talk about Devin Carter

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Devin Carter is a great defender for Providence and was probably #2 for BE DPOY behind Kalkbrenner. But looking at his matchups during the last 5 games tells a bit of a different story.

PC has been on a slump, is this just a side effect of that slump or have teams figured it out against them?

Keep me honest here. Other than the UConn games, I went back and watched game highlights to see who Carter was on for most of them. If I'm wrong on any of these matchups, call me out on it please!

vs. UConn (BET) 3/9: Jordan Hawkins
19 points on 53.8% FG, 1 TO

vs. Seton Hall 3/4: Femi Odukale
19 points on 70% FG, 3 TO
Other notable guard performances: Dawes 11 points on 36.4% FG, Harris 3 points on 25% FG

vs. Xavier 3/1: Colby Jones
29 points on 91% FG, 0 TO
Other notable guard performances: Boum 33 points on 57.9%, Kunkel 2 points on 16.7% FG

@ Georgetown 2/26: Brandon Murray
3 points on 0% FG, absolutely clamped up

@ UConn 2/22: Jordan Hawkins
20 points on 50% FG, 4 TO

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dude was floppin' all over the place yesterday trying to "sell" the fouls and stop our first half runaway train.. BTW.. Wasn't on the floor too much in their second half run.

Yeah, kid is a hustler on the floor and goes all out. That hair absolutely sells any contact or close contact. He's so close to be likeable as a player but the head snaps I can't stand.

Reaction Score
I would love to bring the thread back up where people yelled me down about saying only Hopkins would start here. Newton outplayed Carter yesterday too.

Reaction Score
Overrated defender, by a longshot. He tries hard but isn't fundamentally sound. Takes poor angles getting through screens, wonky foorwork, closes out with the wrong hand, doesn't have a good sense for help and recover. By the #s, he's pretty average for a defender.

I'm actually more impressed with his offense. I think he could average 15 a game next year and push for a first-team spot.

Reaction Score
He's always struck me as better at ball denial than D'ing up his man once they have the ball. If you prioritize getting it to the man he's defending, they can score on him, but I've also watched games where they struggled to make an adjustment to his ball denial.

I will add, there is no defender that gets more latitude from the refs in this league. It's insane how much he's allowed to grab, hold, and even bear hug his man when they're off-ball. It's not his fault, the refs allow it and he smartly pushes the line as far as he possibly can, but it's insane to me. At the end of the game yesterday, when they went to the full-court press, he literally had both arms wrapped around his man on basically every inbound and didn't get called once. This has been a consistent theme in every single PC game I've watched this year.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Devin Carter is a great defender for Providence and was probably #2 for BE DPOY behind Kalkbrenner. But looking at his matchups during the last 5 games tells a bit of a different story.

PC has been on a slump, is this just a side effect of that slump or have teams figured it out against them?

Keep me honest here. Other than the UConn games, I went back and watched game highlights to see who Carter was on for most of them. If I'm wrong on any of these matchups, call me out on it please!

Other notable guard performances: Dawes 11 points on 36.4% FG, Harris 3 points on 25% FG

Other notable guard performances: Boum 33 points on 57.9%, Kunkel 2 points on 16.7% FG

The Xavier one is misleading. I watched that game, he defended both Jones and Boum ,they both were lights out that day, but each did much better when Carter wasn’t on them.

caw

Reaction Score
There are some very good college guards in the BE this year. He has defended most of them pretty well. PC has much bigger issues. Their chemistry is very bad. Even with that run at the end they didn't look completely together.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There are some very good college guards in the BE this year. He has defended most of them pretty well. PC has much bigger issues. Their chemistry is very bad. Even with that run at the end they didn't look completely together.
Are you implying they are not in fact them dudes?

• Haha
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

I’d say Andre was arguably the best defender in the BE. Covered the opposing teams best guards and forwards plus help defense.

Reaction Score
Yeah, kid is a hustler on the floor and goes all out. That hair absolutely sells any contact or close contact. He's so close to be likeable as a player but the head snaps I can't stand.
I'm always suspicious when long-haired players aren't repping the headbands.. Usually have ulterior motives.. Like fakin' out the refs..LOL

Reaction Score
I’d say Andre was arguably the best defender in the BE. Covered the opposing teams best guards and forwards plus help defense.
Yep, I think Andre and Stevie Mitchell are right up there for defensive guards in the conference

Reaction Score
I don't like how he overpenetrates and throws things up. Reminds me a little of Cole in that way.

Reaction Score
The kid reminds of a member of an 80s hair band but I can't put my finger on which one.

I like him, he's relentless. But his jump shot looks like a trebuchet.

Reaction Score

I think Devin Carter is a hell of defender. Yeah, he definitely gets away with holding Hawk. Trust me you see it even more clearly in person ( I was at game in PC). As for the numbers you posted with Seton Hall and Xavier, Carter was getting scored all that much on when his man challenged him, in fact it was very little. The problem was, and I think it still remains, is that PC has a hard time with pick and rolls and screen action. PC likes to switch those every now and then, but they manage to screw it up. Seton Hall destroyed them with screener slipping the screen before even setting it.

Reaction Score
I think Devin Carter is a hell of defender. Yeah, he definitely gets away with holding Hawk. Trust me you see it even more clearly in person ( I was at game in PC). As for the numbers you posted with Seton Hall and Xavier, Carter was not getting scored all that much on when his man challenged him, in fact it was very little. The problem was, and I think it still remains, is that PC has a hard time with pick and rolls and screen action. PC likes to switch those every now and then, but they manage to screw it up. Seton Hall destroyed them with screener slipping the screen before even setting it.
was not getting scored on all that much

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The kid reminds of a member of an 80s hair band but I can't put my finger on which one.
Wouldn't call them an 80s hair band, but the late Phil Lynnot of Thin Lizzy sorts of fits the look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom