Let's Steal Some Players! | The Boneyard

Let's Steal Some Players!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This is a fun challenge, nothing more. The challenge is something like building an all-star team, but with a twist. It goes this way:

With every Division I WCBB player to choose from (excepting UConn) construct a team or a list of players (your choice) you feel could play successfully at UConn under Geno's system. Chose a max of 14 players. Don't attack or denigrate players you would not or do not chose, please keep it positive. I'll start it off with six players, with more to come.

Kelsey Plum, Washington
Ally Disterhoff, Iowa
Leticia Romero, Florida State
Marina Mabrey, Notre Dame
Destiny Slocum, Maryland
Kalani Brown, Baylor

So... who 'ya got?

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I'll add a few more.

I think Alaina Coates and Kitjia Laksa would both flourish under Geno. I believe they have another level and gear that Geno could get out of them.

Let's add the gritty double AAC award winner Leslie Vorpahl of Tulane. I think Geno would LOVE to have her

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox
A'ja Wilson
Lexi Brown
Asia Durr
Destiny Slocum
Shayla Cooper
Jordan Canada
Jamie Nared
Sophie Cunningham
Sabrina Ionescu

So many more.

Reaction Score
Could you imagine Lou and Laksa playing together? They'd be good for 10-12 3s every night.

Reaction Score
Kalani Brown - Baylor
Alicia Froling - SMU
Brionna Jones - MD
Breanna Lewis - K St.
Aja Wilson - SC

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Lot great choices, i really liked these 3...

Ally Disterhoff, Iowa
Lauren Cox, Baylor
Leslie Vorpahl, Tulane

Reaction Score
So, the real question is: what quality players are transferring this year; are they UConn material; would UConn take them?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Talent alone is not enough. To truly fit into UConn and Geno's system, you need to have at least 2 additional traits that at least some of the players mentioned do not have

1) The ability to handle criticism (some times withering). From what I recall, Destiny Slocum herself admitted she could not deal with this approach and needed and played best with constant reinforcement. Nothing wrong with this but the OP stated the layers must fit Geno's system,

2) To sublimate your game and any ego and continue the legacy of UConn (winning NC's along the way). This does not go over well with players that want to start their own legacy. A good example in this camp from my understanding is Sabrina Ionescu.
Again, nothing wrong with this.

It is interesting to consider that this issue is getting even stronger. In the DT era, you could still forge your own world since UConn was not the monster it is now but with everything UConn has accomplished as a program, it will never happen again that a UConn player will distinguish themselves as completely unique in our program (although Stewie did a pretty good job and maybe some future super human efforts may come to light. Say cheese Katie Lou)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lot great choices, i really liked these 3...

Ally Disterhoff, Iowa
Lauren Cox, Baylor
Leslie Vorpahl, Tulane

After the way Lauren Cox played in the B12 conference and basically back slapped her play, I think Mulkey is ready to ship her to UConn or anywhere else.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm gonna be a west coast snob to start:
Monique Billings
Minyon Moore
Ruth Hebard
Kristine Anigwe

Asia Durr
Joyner Holmes
Lashann Higgs

Reaction Score
I dunno. I think some coach is now going to file a 28 page complaint with the NCAA for player tampering.....

Reaction Score
Touhg calls:

Billings
Atkins
Samuelson
Wilson
Grey
Walker-Kinsbrough
Mabrey
Plum
Lexi Brown
Tynice Martin
McCarty

And a couple of bigs such as Anigwe, the center from Stanford, BJones. Turner. Choose one or two.

And two others interesting KMicthell just to see what she would be with Geno and Peterson from Cuse and the attitude of Canda from UCLA. Love that vide. Chose one or two.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
(Opening Statement/Defense: I will include two Domers on this list, primarily due to the fact that I think they can work in UConn's motion offense and take the heat (ooops, coaching) from Geno and Chris.
Fellow Domers: Never, Ever would I want them heading east ;):rolleyes:. But Cox to S. Bend. Still a fit. :D)

- Marina Mabrey, ND (I don't think Geno would mind in a bit....)
- Jackie Young, ND (not only is/was she a major scorer, she hustles, rebounds and plays team ball)
- Jocelyn Willoughby, UVA (tough, selfless guard who does the dirty work and still scores in double figures)
- Lauren Cox, Baylor (Somebody please save this young woman)
- Kristy Wallace, Baylor (physically gifted, tough. Think Geno could adjust gear shifts....)
- Rebecca Greenwell, Duke. (Toughness, heart and soul go with the shooting)
- Jordin Canada, UCLA (for reasons mentioned in multiple threads)
- Ruth Hebard, Oregon
- Jamie Nared, Tenn. (Another lost soul....)
- Jessica January, DePaul (often hits the nail.....)
- Tori Jankoska, Michigan State (she'd compete against/with Geno in anything....)
- Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland (would just seem to get it...and excel)

Reaction Score
(Opening Statement/Defense: I will include two Domers on this list, primarily due to the fact that I think they can work in UConn's motion offense and take the heat (ooops, coaching) from Geno and Chris.
Fellow Domers: Never, Ever would I want them heading east ;):rolleyes:. But Cox to S. Bend. Still a fit. :D)

- Lauren Cox, Baylor (Somebody please save this young woman)

I wonder whether Ms Cox has any regrets choosing a team that already had two established post players........look at the growth of Joyner Holmes at Texas from the beginning of the season to the present......she's an entirely different player.....Cox has had some nice moments but she's essentially been a bench warmer for most of her freshman year

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone's mentioned Sydney Wiese from Oregon State. She's a hard nosed gritty player who Geno and UCONN fans would love.

Reaction Score
- Tori Jankoska, Michigan State (she'd compete against/with Geno in anything....)
This was the first name that popped in my head. Geno would love her.
Others:
Nia Coffey - except her freshman year I'm not sure she was used right at NW.
Kysre Gondrezick - she's cute and she can play (Geno got alot of cute girls on the team)
Asia Durr - always been a fan
Becca Greenwell - She'll be great at UConn
Kelsey Plum - duh
Kalani Brown - future All American
Aja Wilson - showed me alot in the SEC championship game
Jordin Canada - great PG, great person
Jessica Sheppard - Geno would be great for her
Brooke McCarty - tough little basketball player
Sydney Weise - another tough player
Azura Stevens - oops, you already got her
Aja Ellison - best teammate in the world. Always the first player off the bench to greet players after a timeout. Plus she's cute.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder whether Ms Cox has any regrets choosing a team that already had two established post players...look at the growth of Joyner Holmes at Texas from the beginning of the season to the present.she's an entirely different player.....Cox has had some nice moments but she's essentially been a bench warmer for most of her freshman year

I'd be interested in hearing from our Texas contributors on their thoughts. This Baylor team will be losing some key aspects of their firepower next year:
- (small) forward Nina Davis;
- shooting guard Alexis Prince; and,
- guard Alexis Brown.
and reserve post Khadijiah Cave is a senior, too (wow, that went fast).

In 2017-18, posts Kalani Brown and Beatrice Mompremier and forwards DeKeiya Cohen return, along with Cox who is kind of a combo post/forward. Depending on what offensive approach Coach Kim takes, that could translate into three bigs playing in two spots, with Cohen playing the more traditional forward spot. Or maybe they switch to a low post (Brown, Mompremier) and high post (Cox) attack, along with three guards but they're losing a lot of backcourt power. That said, if Cox can get on the floor consistently as a sophomore, then she'll have three solid years.

Otherwise, I can understand and accept the reasons she chose to go there...and still scratch my head a little wondering about the fit. Last night, in her mere 6 minutes on the floor, I just saw her laying bodies on others. Yes, that's part of the game, but that's a talented offensive player there who can give a well-rounded offense a lot of options. Yes, it takes awhile for frosh to get it (perhaps save for Holmes), but I thought I'd see Cox playing a bit more at this time of year, much like -- say -- Jackie Young is getting playing time at critical moments for ND.

Heck, at this rate, I'd say Natalie Chou has a better chance to see more floor time alongside Kristy Wallace next year. (BTW, I think Wallace is great...just needs to be ratcheted down a little....).

p.s. On a totally Jersey note, did you see Sidor went for 40 last night, trying to duplicate KLS ;)
And Baby Mabrey hit both ends of a 1 and 1 with under a second left to advance Manasquan by Rumson/Fair Haven? (Masonius seems to be coming on strong in the playoffs). I'll try to see them on Sunday's game if they advance. Might go see Sidor at Paterson Kennedy on Wednesday again....

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll make it real simple, just give the the top 12 candidates for All-American this year. I think he could win with those ladies. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'd be interested in hearing from our Texas contributors on their thoughts. This Baylor team will be losing some key aspects of their firepower next year:
- (small) forward Nina Davis;
- shooting guard Alexis Prince; and,
- guard Alexis Brown.
and reserve post Khadijiah Cave is a senior, too (wow, that went fast).

Posts Kalani Brown and Beatrice Mompremier and forwards DeKeiya Cohen return, along with Cox who is kind of a combo post/forward. Depending on what approach, Coach Kim takes that could be three bigs playing in two spots, with Cohen playing the more traditional forward spot. Or maybe they switch to a low post (Brown, Mompremier) and high post (Cox) attack. If she can get on the floor consistently as a sophomore, then she'll have three solid years.
Otherwise, you understand and accept the reasons she chose to go there...and still scratch your head a little. Last night, in her mere 6 minutes on the floor, I just saw her laying bodies on others. Yes, that'spart of the game, but that's a talented offensive player there who can give a well-rounded offense a lot of options.

Heck, at this rate, I'd say Natalie Chou has a better chance to see more floor time alongside Kristy Wallace next year. (BTW, I think Wallace is great...just needs to be ratcheted down a little....).

Kristy Wallace makes Kia Nurse look like a nun. Some one better explain to her that hitting the floor with her hands/fists can lead to catastrophe. Just look at that nut job at OKC.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
After the way Lauren Cox played in the B12 conference and basically back slapped her play, I think Mulkey is ready to ship her to UConn or anywhere else.

Lauren Cox, Baylor (Somebody please save this young woman)

Yup...she belonged in Storrs from the start...

I like her going to ND should be on her list...Run away from Baylor...

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Not real happy with Kim right now from a coaching perspective...Nina Davis treatment comes to mind as well...plus her well discussed other commentary...

Reaction Score
Here's my starting 5

A'ja Wilson SC
Brionna Jones Maryland
Lindsay Allen ND
Kelsey Lang Texas
Kelsey Plum Washington

Reaction Score
You've all come up with some grate names. I would add Alicia Froling of SMU, an Australian who I think would be a real talent under Geno's tutelage.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And a few more...

Joyner Holmes, Texas
Lexi Brown, Duke
Brionna Jones, Maryland
Mehryn Kraker, Green Bay
Karlie Samuelson, Stanford

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online