Let's just get creative and combine with the Mountain West | The Boneyard

Let's just get creative and combine with the Mountain West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not even all that creative, because this is exactly what CUSA is doing, and at the end of the day, they stand a better chance of landing the final AQ than we are going to. I really don't feel that Marinatto has the mandate to do what needs to be done because of the hybrid affiliation with the onlies. It's not that Marinatto is dumb, or not a leader, or anything like that. And it's not that the onlies are provincial or short sighted. They have their needs, and Marinatto is their commissioner too. So, we just need to be creative, but not all that creative.

The concept, perhaps difficult to embrace for many - but as things play out may become less so - is for a 16 team east west alliance with an automatic bid consisting of big east remnants, Houston, and the Mountain West. I get that any AQ for this new league would be more a political compromise than something "earned" on the field ("earned" like Ohio State, USC, Auburn, Miami, and many others not yet actually caught red handed). It is significant that this new league incorporate many states that are not now home to a BCS team, hence the political component. It doesn't hurt that Las Vegas, San Diego, and other more exotic destinations are included because the new league would need to build quickly and it is easier to build at more picturesque locations. We don't have time to build this league with generations of dads and sons watching the State U up in Lincoln playing the other State U down in Stillwater. The critical object is maintaining a bid to the Big Dance. Essentially, maintaining the football program.

Who knows who is next to leave the big east? If we are down to USF, Uconn and Rutgers, then we add other have nots with some reason to be included. Umass (location and state politics); Temple (location, football ability, state politics); Navy (location, tradition, politics); UCF (location, football ability, state politics); All have a logical reason to be included. ECU not so much due to market and location. Memphis would be a better add, basketball. Army would work for obvious reasons. The league could be football "mostly." We could maintain other sports with the Catholics and some new additions. Boise would be more likely to join with its conference mates.

My preference is the Big 10. The ACC. But we can't sit in our soiled diapers and have a tantrum waiting for mama to come to change us.

Reaction Score
Hasn't this ship sailed? MWC has already merged with CUSA.

Otherwise I am all for it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Or...we could just invite the top teams from the MTN West and C-USA and not bring our league further down with the dregs of those conferences.

Reaction Score
Or...we could just invite the top teams from the MTN West and C-USA and not bring our league further down with the dregs of those conferences.

The problems with that are getting approval from the basketball schools and the lack of stability in the Big East which is making other schools question joining the league. If we had just merged the football league with the Mountain West those issues would not come into play. Now that the MWC has already merged with CUSA the league is too large and watered down for the Big East to merge with.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This would be stupid for UConn and Rutgers, who do not want to be a in an all-sports conference with those schools. But it isn't stupid for WVU, UL and Cincy, who should be poaching the best C-USA teams.

WVU, UL, Cincy, SFU, CFU, So. Miss, Tulane, Houston, SMU, Memphis.

Not a bad ten team league, even for basketball. Several potential rivalries and these schools seem to fit.

Reaction Score
This would be stupid for UConn and Rutgers, who do not want to be a in an all-sports conference with those schools. But it isn't stupid for WVU, UL and Cincy, who should be poaching the best C-USA teams.

WVU, UL, Cincy, SFU, CFU, So. Miss, Tulane, Houston, SMU,
Not a bad ten team league, even for basketball. Several potential rivalries and these schools seem to fit.
agree. but need to get to 16. Can u get us 6 from out west?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
agree. but need to get to 16. Can u get us 6 from out west?
I don't want UConn in that league. I just think the current 4 BE schools other than UConn and Rutgers should do it. It kills the C-USA MWC merger and would probably be worthy of a BCS bid. But I don't want to be in an all sports league like that. Independent with other sports in the BE is preferable.

Reaction Score
I don't want UConn in that league. I just think the current 4 BE schools other than UConn and Rutgers should do it. It kills the C-USA MWC merger and would probably be worthy of a BCS bid. But I don't want to be in an all sports league like that. Independent with other sports in the BE is preferable.

Unless WVU and LV are going to the Big XII, they have no interest in leaving us for CUSA schools.

Reaction Score
i don't see why anyone thinks the 5 remaining football teams + MWC is any more deserving of a BCS bid than whatever we could cobble together by cherry picking the best few CUSA/MWC teams we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom