Lets just blame Phil Nolan for everything including the recruiting, bad weather and global warming ! | The Boneyard

Lets just blame Phil Nolan for everything including the recruiting, bad weather and global warming !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have read on the BY how the team is improving, What improvement are you talking about ? exactly ? Yes we have some close loses,but 2games in a row we lose on the exact same broken play, I've read here its not Olie's fault, but they were as unprepared as you could be, we left the other teams BEST 3POINT SHOOTER WIDE OPEN BOTH TIMES !!! And inspite of that we come out playing flat, (worse each game) with no sense of urgency to try and save the season. I read some where on the BY that Olie lookes uninterested because he realized how bad the team looks. REALLY ? So he's given up ? 3mill a year , things are not going as planned so it's okay to quit on the season ? Wow whats wrong with some of you people. I own a small retail buisness, and when sales are down my commissioned employees are looking to me for solutions and answers, and they will never get duckit, who cares ,(I make lots less then Olie, maybe thats the problem, I can't afford to give up and fail, my family would suffer, I wouldn't get a second chance, people wouldn't be making all kinds of rediculous excuses for failure! In life and buisness rolls down hill . it usually starts at the top, and you guys are blaming Phil Nolan.Which is my second point. Is he pretty bad? Absolutely. But whose decision is it to play him? He's not putting himself in the game. They are not playing with any passion, they are kids. they need leadership,I don't see any leadership on the Uconn bench, they are playing the way Olie is coaching. Lifeless, disinterested, going thru the motions,( watch the danm games again if you still dont get it. ) I have read that Boat has not showed up the last couple of games, maybe not, but Olie hasn't showed up either. I'm old, been a fan about 50 years. Perno was my freshman coach at South Catholic. Was he a bad coach ? Yeah, but they never gave up, ever, many of his Uconn team sucked (poorly coached) but rarely out hustled. A Calhoun team look disinterested ? NEVER !! This team is playing flat , getting out played , out hustled and out coached, (other teams are showing emotion, playing with a level of passion missing in Uconn, high 5s after a good play, Uconn players are going thru the motions ). I expect to get bashed after this post for expressing my opinion and I probably will (others get it all the time, if someones opinion doesn't jive with some of yours the usual response is to attack that poster, BAN HIM . It is what a lot of you guys do ( this is a forum is it not?), if you dare critisize any thing about the team (Olie) you are labeled a bad person, fan whatever. I am a life long Uconn fan and so our 6 kids and we are as disappointed as most of you are, but embarrassement is something we have never had to deal with as Uconn fans. Losing is one thing, losing is never ok, but losing because the other team is better or plays better is a part of life and sports, but losing because the other team tries harder I've never had to experience as a Uconn fan until now (Calhoun would never have allowed it) I was at a USF game in FL acouple of years ago, waited all year to see Uconn play , team played terrible, getting killed. By half time everyone on the Uconn bench including some walkons had pl;ayed, One starter played in the second half, the rest never played a second. Were we disappointed ? Sure, but playing lazy was not to be tolerated at Uconn. WE were getting blown out , we came back, made a game of it, we lost but Calhoun never gave up ( you could hear M*ther Fucker emitt ing from the Uconn bench in the second half, LOL )The point was HE NEVER STOPPED COACHING !! And you guys are bashing Phil Nolan, last I heard he wasn't the one getting paid 3million a year ! One last thing, in my humble opinion the year to date win wise is mirroring our success on the recruiting trail, one loss after an other after another to schools thought to be inferior to Uconn. Defending NC, new practice facility, Olie. Any one happy with the recruiting to date ? Oh yeah we can always blame Phil Nolan. Thanks and have a nice day.

Reaction Score
If you have a problem with the coach, please learn his name at least? You used his name about 6 or more times in your post and don't even know what it is.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You took the time to read that?

Oh, lord no.

I saw the huge block of unbroken text and the vibe of self-righteousness and opted to pass.

If a guy is going to take the time to throw down a 40 square inch lecture, you'd think he'd have the decency to throw in the occasional paragraph.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Oh, lord no.

I saw the huge block of unbroken text and the vibe of self-righteousness and opted to pass.

If a guy is going to take the time to throw down a 40 square inch lecture, you'd think he'd have the decency to throw in the occasional paragraph.
Well I decided to read it, and don't bother if you're thinking about it. This person is either drunk or some special form of stupid.

Reaction Score
I deciphered something in there about how teams never played harder than us under Calhoun and we never quit.

He's clearly forgetting the times other teams played harder than us and we quit.

Reaction Score
I deciphered something in there about how teams never played harder than us under Calhoun and we never quit.

He's clearly forgetting the times other teams played harder than us and we quit.
He must have been out of the country or his tv wasn't working in 09-10. My money is on the latter.

Reaction Score
I have read on the BY how the team is improving, What improvement are you talking about ? exactly ? Yes we have some close loses,but 2games in a row we lose on the exact same broken play, I've read here its not Olie's fault, but they were as unprepared as you could be, we left the other teams BEST 3POINT SHOOTER WIDE OPEN BOTH TIMES !!! And inspite of that we come out playing flat, (worse each game) with no sense of urgency to try and save the season. I read some where on the BY that Olie lookes uninterested because he realized how bad the team looks. REALLY ? So he's given up ? 3mill a year , things are not going as planned so it's okay to quit on the season ? Wow whats wrong with some of you people. I own a small retail buisness, and when sales are down my commissioned employees are looking to me for solutions and answers, and they will never get it, who cares ,(I make lots less then Olie, maybe thats the problem, I can't afford to give up and fail, my family would suffer, I wouldn't get a second chance, people wouldn't be making all kinds of rediculous excuses for failure! In life and buisness rolls down hill . it usually starts at the top, and you guys are blaming Phil Nolan.Which is my second point. Is he pretty bad? Absolutely. But whose decision is it to play him? He's not putting himself in the game. They are not playing with any passion, they are kids. they need leadership,I don't see any leadership on the Uconn bench, they are playing the way Olie is coaching. Lifeless, disinterested, going thru the motions,( watch the danm games again if you still dont get it. ) I have read that Boat has not showed up the last couple of games, maybe not, but Olie hasn't showed up either. I'm old, been a fan about 50 years. Perno was my freshman coach at South Catholic. Was he a bad coach ? Yeah, but they never gave up, ever, many of his Uconn team sucked (poorly coached) but rarely out hustled. A Calhoun team look disinterested ? NEVER !! This team is playing flat , getting out played , out hustled and out coached, (other teams are showing emotion, playing with a level of passion missing in Uconn, high 5s after a good play, Uconn players are going thru the motions ). I expect to get bashed after this post for expressing my opinion and I probably will (others get it all the time, if someones opinion doesn't jive with some of yours the usual response is to attack that poster, BAN HIM . It is what a lot of you guys do ( this is a forum is it not?), if you dare critisize any thing about the team (Olie) you are labeled a bad person, fan whatever. I am a life long Uconn fan and so our 6 kids and we are as disappointed as most of you are, but embarrassement is something we have never had to deal with as Uconn fans. Losing is one thing, losing is never ok, but losing because the other team is better or plays better is a part of life and sports, but losing because the other team tries harder I've never had to experience as a Uconn fan until now (Calhoun would never have allowed it) I was at a USF game in FL acouple of years ago, waited all year to see Uconn play , team played terrible, getting killed. By half time everyone on the Uconn bench including some walkons had pl;ayed, One starter played in the second half, the rest never played a second. Were we disappointed ? Sure, but playing lazy was not to be tolerated at Uconn. WE were getting blown out , we came back, made a game of it, we lost but Calhoun never gave up ( you could hear M*ther er emitt ing from the Uconn bench in the second half, LOL )The point was HE NEVER STOPPED COACHING !! And you guys are bashing Phil Nolan, last I heard he wasn't the one getting paid 3million a year ! One last thing, in my humble opinion the year to date win wise is mirroring our success on the recruiting trail, one loss after an other after another to schools thought to be inferior to Uconn. Defending NC, new practice facility, Olie. Any one happy with the recruiting to date ? Oh yeah we can always blame Phil Nolan. Thanks and have a nice day.
Try hitting the enter key to create a paragraph occasionally. BTW, you probably played HS ball with my golf partner at S Catholic.

Reaction Score
Try hitting the enter key to create a paragraph occasionally. BTW, you probably played HS ball with my golf partner at S Catholic.
That was quite the coaching staff for a high school. Joe Reilly, Gary Palladino, and Perno was the frosh coach who was terrible who then went on to coach Uconn, lol. Palladino later coached @U of H.

Reaction Score
Although I agree that the poster could use an English lesson or two, it might be just a little more productive to comment on the content of the post rather than the sentence and paragraph structure. This was obviously a stream of consciousness post possibly aided by a cocktail or two. That being said, there was some validity to parts of the post.

I know it still January and UConn teams show their improvement in March, but I have really not seen a lot of incremental improvements in the past month. Brimah is about the same and Hamilton is regressing. Maybe Purvis has improved a bit, and certainly Omar has come on, but that's all I see. The comment about the team coming out flat is also true - we have seen that repeatedly. The Ollie lack of passion and the lack of in game adjustments have been discussed elsewhere so I won't beat these dead horses. Suffice it to say, these appear to be issues.

Another thing which concerns me, and which wasn't discussed in the above post, is the effect that this year will have on future recruiting. Yes, I know its not over and that we can run the table in the tournament, but at this point I really don't see that happening. Ollie hasn't exactly hit a home run with his post-championship recruiting either, so this season certainly won't help in that regard.

Just some random and hopefully coherent and grammatically correct thoughts in response to the initial post.

Reaction Score
If you have a problem with the coach, please learn his name at least? You used his name about 6 or more times in your post and don't even know what it is.
Yeah I do know how to spell his name. The misspelling was intentional, which goes to prove my point. No objective observations about the content, it is a forum which is where you can share ideas and have a civil debate and not be attacked personally. If the only thing you noticed was my spelling of Ollie's name then you must agree with whatever I said. I've been called stupid, drunk, other people have been told to start taking their meds, ban everyone ect. Some of you guys are a joke.Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Why single out Nolan here? The whole frontcourt is a wasteland. It's really the problem this year.

Why not go with DHam at the 4 and Brimah and others at the 5. How can it get worse.

Reaction Score
UConn77 said:
Although I agree that the poster could use an English lesson or two, it might be just a little more productive to comment on the content of the post rather than the sentence and paragraph structure. This was obviously a stream of consciousness post possibly aided by a cocktail or two. That being said, there was some validity to parts of the post. I know it still January and UConn teams show their improvement in March, but I have really not seen a lot of incremental improvements in the past month. Brimah is about the same and Hamilton is regressing. Maybe Purvis has improved a bit, and certainly Omar has come on, but that's all I see. The comment about the team coming out flat is also true - we have seen that repeatedly. The Ollie lack of passion and the lack of in game adjustments have been discussed elsewhere so I won't beat these dead horses. Suffice it to say, these appear to be issues. Another thing which concerns me, and which wasn't discussed in the above post, is the effect that this year will have on future recruiting. Yes, I know its not over and that we can run the table in the tournament, but at this point I really don't see that happening. Ollie hasn't exactly hit a home run with his post-championship recruiting either, so this season certainly won't help in that regard. Just some random and hopefully coherent and grammatically correct thoughts in response to the initial post.

The comment itself is masked in the middle of a rant about being embarrassed and pretending things used to be a certain way that really weren't (we did get out worked sometimes under JC, we did quit sometimes when getting rolled, JC did sometimes use unorthodox coaching methods that could be construed as "quitting" - turning his back on his team during a timeout, for example). It wasn't all a smooth ride in the JC era. We had bad seasons, bad games, teams that regressed, etc. Nature of sports - college sports in particular.

Our lack of improvement? Well, Purvis, Boat and Omar have all dealt with injuries and really have never all been 100 percent at the same time - hopefully once Boat feels back to 100 percent and gets his legs back under his shot, we'll finally have that. Brimah and Facey show flashes of substantial improvement from time to time, without yet showing the consistency that is typical of players who haven't played very long. Hamilton is going through a typical freshman phase - half "wall", half dealing with better scouting reports, sort of like the stud rookie hitter who struggles the second time through the league as teams adjust and pitch him differently. He just has to fight through it and keep doing what he's doing - a couple of those strong takes yesterday were a bit unlucky coming off the rim, but good aggressive moves that got him good looks. Phil and TSam I think are just guys who's talent level will only take them so far. SCII's lack of foot speed will only take him so far too.

At this point, despite z's protests, we probably have to look at it as three days in March in Hartford to fight for an automatic (maybe the Dayton win will turn out to be a saving grace for an at large, if they beat VCU and stay a top 20 RPI team, but tough to hope for that). That means getting everyone healthy, getting DHam through his wall and comfortable creating offense, and trying to somehow get Brimah to understand how to stay on the floor. For the first time this season, I saw a Rodney Purvis who can create for himself and for others, so if nothing else, I found that encouraging, as I do Omar's ability to knock down shots again. Gradually, we're getting more arrows in our quiver - just have to make sure most of them are sharp in March.

Reaction Score
Although I agree that the poster could use an English lesson or two, it might be just a little more productive to comment on the content of the post rather than the sentence and paragraph structure. This was obviously a stream of consciousness post possibly aided by a cocktail or two. That being said, there was some validity to parts of the post.

I know it still January and UConn teams show their improvement in March, but I have really not seen a lot of incremental improvements in the past month. Brimah is about the same and Hamilton is regressing. Maybe Purvis has improved a bit, and certainly Omar has come on, but that's all I see. The comment about the team coming out flat is also true - we have seen that repeatedly. The Ollie lack of passion and the lack of in game adjustments have been discussed elsewhere so I won't beat these dead horses. Suffice it to say, these appear to be issues.

Another thing which concerns me, and which wasn't discussed in the above post, is the effect that this year will have on future recruiting. Yes, I know its not over and that we can run the table in the tournament, but at this point I really don't see that happening. Ollie hasn't exactly hit a home run with his post-championship recruiting either, so this season certainly won't help in that regard.

Just some random and hopefully coherent and grammatically correct thoughts in response to the initial post.
I was playing with my 2 year old the whole time which spanned about two hours and about 30 interuptions which can explain at least some of the poor sentence and paragraph construction, that, and I now live in Florida, (14 years) lol. Thanks. PS I dont drink or smoke but some of the other posters on this board might trying to up their prozac just a little.

Reaction Score
Yeah I do know how to spell his name. The misspelling was intentional, which goes to prove my point. No objective observations about the content, it is a forum which is where you can share ideas and have a civil debate and not be attacked personally. If the only thing you noticed was my spelling of Ollie's name then you must agree with whatever I said. I've been called stupid, drunk, other people have been told to start taking their meds, ban everyone ect. Some of you guys are a joke.Have a nice day.

The point, Einstein, is that if interacting with other people's opinion isn't important enough to you to write in something even vaguely resembling English, than most people aren't going to bother to comment on your content. We all reap what we sow.

I'll add two points. First, any post that mentions what the coach is being paid will lose my attention immediately. Because this team would be no better or worse if its coach (any coach) makes more or less. Second, while this team is not playing well, and is not going anywhere, its hard to rationally blame this on recruiting. We've got at least 4 players who are expected to have at least some NBA career. This year, the whole isn't anywhere near the sum of the parts. But that's not recruiting. It is coaching, as well as a normal post-championship hangover. Which, IIRC, happened to even the greatest coach of our generation after his last championship.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was playing with my 2 year old the whole time which spanned about two hours and about 30 interuptions which can explain at least some of the poor sentence and paragraph construction, that, and I now live in Florida, (14 years) lol. Thanks. PS I dont drink or smoke but some of the other posters on this board might trying to up their prozac just a little.
I hope you realize the things you say indeed make you look stupid and annoying. Oh and you don't like being insulted? Welcome to the internet, get used to it or stop complaining. If you've seen how people on this board respond to like this, wouldn't logic dictate you not make a thread like this? You can't complain about the way we respond when you write something that dumb. Thanks and have a nice day.

Reaction Score
The point, Einstein, is that if interacting with other people's opinion isn't important enough to you to write in something even vaguely resembling English, than most people aren't going to bother to comment on your content. We all reap what we sow.

I'll add two points. First, any post that mentions what the coach is being paid will lose my attention immediately. Because this team would be no better or worse if its coach (any coach) makes more or less. Second, while this team is not playing well, and is not going anywhere, its hard to rationally blame this on recruiting. We've got at least 4 players who are expected to have at least some NBA career. This year, the whole isn't anywhere near the sum of the parts. But that's not recruiting. It is coaching, as well as a normal post-championship hangover. Which, IIRC, happened to even the greatest coach of our generation after his last championship.
I didn't blame it on recruting. I said the season as measured in wins and loses is closely resembling our post NC recruting sucess or lack there of. Hope that helps. Why dont some of you guys critique the bad grammar, misspelled words, starting sentences with i etc, in the posts that you tend to agree with ? They are everywhere. I was simply trying to offer some insight into why a poster said Ollie finally realized the team sucked as an explanation for why Ollie looks disinterested on the bench and no one called him on.it I took it to mean that the coach gave up on the team because they suck and thats OK if true. Thanks

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I was simply trying to offer some insight into why a poster said Ollie finally realized the team sucked as an explanation for why Ollie looks disinterested on the bench and no one called him on.it I took it to mean that the coach gave up on the team because they suck and thats OK if true. Thanks
So you're complaining that your initial 21 line unreadable rant, which you just boiled down to a semi comprehensible 2 lines, was met with disdain.

Maybe try writing 2 lines next time, taking time to make sure punctuation is in the correct place (you somehow failed on that in the two line post) so that it's not difficult to read and maybe spell the coaches name correctly (whether you meant to or not - I'm guessing from the rest of the post it was a mistake that you just tried to play off) and people will 1) take the time to read it and 2) not call you stupid or drugged for spouting a screen of gibberish.

Bottom line, when Chaps reply is several times more readable than your post, you have failed spectacularly.

Reaction Score
Here is an objective observation about your post. It's terrible like all your others. Nothing but revisionist history. Everything you claim never happened under Calhoun happened multiple times.

Good job intentionally spelling Ollie's name wrong though. You really proved a point.

Reaction Score
I hope you realize the things you say indeed make you look stupid and annoying. Oh and you don't like being insulted? Welcome to the internet, get used to it or stop complaining. If you've seen how people on this board respond to like this, wouldn't logic dictate you not make a thread like this? You can't complain about the way we respond when you write something that dumb. Thanks and have a nice day.
You are intitled to your opinion which I respectfully dont agree with and can do so with out the name calling and insults You are probably one of those overly aggressive (rude) drivers who behave so bravely within the safe confines of you 2ton vehicle. Welcome to the internet where we are rude because we can be. Did you really just say that ? Yes I am well aware that we can be as rude as we want on the internet, that said it does not make it right. We are all Uconn fans here, a little civility would be nice even when there are differing opinions. But what ever. While I will always be a Uconn fan peope like your self are a constant reminder why I dont miss the people Thanks and have a nice day your self.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You are intitled to your opinion which I respectfully dont agree with and can do so with out the name calling and insults You are probably one of those overly aggressive (rude) drivers who behave so bravely within the safe confines of you 2ton vehicle. Welcome to the internet where we are rude because we can be. Did you really just say that ? Yes I am well aware that we can be as rude as we want on the internet, that said it does not make it right. We are all Uconn fans here, a little civility would be nice even when there are differing opinions. But what ever. While I will always be a Uconn fan peope like your self are a constant reminder why
Are you still playing with your 2 year old? Cause your grammer hasn't gotten any better... Look if you can't handle being insulted, A: get off the internet, or B: don't post dumb stuff. No one makes you look stupid but you, it's not our fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom