Let's all take a moment to acknowledge Jalen's game | The Boneyard

Let's all take a moment to acknowledge Jalen's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought some guy on twitter put it best, "Jalen Adams is playing one of the strangest basketball games you'll see."

9 turnovers in the first half, 30 points in the second (did Kemba even do that?). Kid doesn't lack for confidence, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Jalen's second half reminded me of Kemba's coming out party in Maui against Wichita State in 2011.

Both ineffective first halves (Kemba foul trouble, Jalen was horrifically sloppy), and dominant, eye-popping second halves. Unfortunately, we weren't able to win this game, but Jalen's ascending star has me feeling a lot better about this team's trajectory.

Get Gilbert and Larrier healthy, give our young guys more game experience, and I think this can be a dangerous team come March.

We may be 1-3, but the light seemed to switch in the second half for Jalen and the rest of the team. The margin for error is small the rest of the season, but the AAC Tourney in Hartford is our saving grace.

Reaction Score
Jalen's second half reminded me of Kemba's coming out party in Maui against Wichita State in 2011.

Both ineffective first halves (Kemba foul trouble, Jalen was horrifically sloppy), and dominant, eye-popping second halves. Unfortunately, we weren't able to win this game, but Jalen's ascending star has me feeling a lot better about this team's trajectory.

Get Gilbert and Larrier healthy, give our young guys more game experience, and I think this can be a dangerous team come March.

We may be 1-3, but the light seemed to switch in the second half for Jalen and the rest of the team. The margin for error is small the rest of the season, but the AAC Tourney in Hartford is our saving grace.

I was actually going to make that exact parallel in my OP but I was too lazy. Kemba had, what, 29 points in that second half? Obviously, given the stakes Kemba's was more impressive, but not many college players can get 30 in one half, even in up-tempo, garbage time moments. Kid is a real talent.

I still think it's going to be an up-and-down year for him, but as you said, hopefully by March, he's playing at an all-American level.

Reaction Score
I would like to, but only if it spills over to the rest of the season. Certainly it was a masterful individual performance. But it will be sadly forgotten if he plays like he did in the first 8 minutes of the game, which, I do not expect.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but when it counted he committed 7 TOs in the first 7 minutes.

The last 25 minutes were just extended garbage time.

Misery loves company.

Oklahoma St was sure playing like the points still counted, they didn't stop playing defense. He showed incredible mental toughness to come back from a terrible start, and put the team on his back and get them back in the game. He showed what he can do playing at his best in the second. He can get to the lane, he can hit the open three. I think he's going to build on this, and be a major factor this year.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I thought some guy on twitter put it best, "Jalen Adams is playing one of the strangest basketball games you'll see."

9 turnovers in the first half, 30 points in the second (did Kemba even do that?). Kid doesn't lack for confidence, that's for sure.
Sorry but he was just completely overwhelmed in the first 10 minutes. Ugly

Reaction Score

That was certainly a tornado of a run to behold, and he still had the legs throughout. Even when he fouled out, it seemed he has just heating up.

Sorry....garbage not....that was special....and it didn't have the look of a jump on my back ala Bazz or Kemba...it just happened....like that adam bomb...scary...

Reaction Score
That was certainly a tornado of a run to behold, and he still had the legs throughout. Even when he fouled out, it seemed he has just heating up.

Sorry....garbage not....that was special....and it didn't have the look of a jump on my back ala Bazz or Kemba...it just happened....like that adam bomb...scary...
Special? The box score maybe. Did you see his first half? 10 brutal turnovers in a game that was never close, automatically eliminates special from the description. It was far from it. Athletic, sure. Impressive, in some ways. Truth is, a lopsided effort like that will lose UConn far more games than win them.

Reaction Score
Special? The box score maybe. Did you see his first half? 10 brutal turnovers in a game that was never close, automatically eliminates special from the description. It was far from it. Athletic, sure. Impressive, in some ways. Truth is, a lopsided effort like that will lose UConn far more games than win them.

Worst player on the floor in the first half, 2nd best player on the floor in the 2nd half. Who doesn't wish Evans and Forte were Huskies?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Worst player on the floor in the first half, 2nd best player on the floor in the 2nd half. Who doesn't wish Evans and Forte were Huskies?

Evans was 10-26 from the floor. Jalen made two more buckets while taking 8 less shots, and that includes his awful first half. Jalen was the best player on the floor in the 2nd half.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's what I expected from him...well not 30 a half, but the loose, confident player he showed in the 2nd half. Whether anyone noticed or not, Rodney had the same transition midway through the second half....he finally stopped playing tight and just played. The result was beautiful.

As for the TOs...several of those are team TOs, and on the staff for having them unprepared for the press.

I'm encouraged that the UConn team that finally played loose basketball without all the hesitation and fear of making a mistake in the second half would be 4-0 and ranked in the top 10 right now. It's time for them to take what they discovered and go on a run of wins. Cuse isn't going to know what hit them.

Reaction Score
I will enjoy picturing all of you sad sacks crying at the dinner table on Thanksgiving

If you weren't encouraged by seeing them play UConn basketball to battle back after losing Terry and then losing Brimah to total BS fouls in the first half, you don't bleed blue. Jalen had already shown it but last night he showed again why he's a true Husky already

Excited for him to build on it, excited Purvis saw the ball go down the net, very excited for the prospects of Vital and Jackson

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah, but when it counted he committed 7 TOs in the first 7 minutes.

The last 25 minutes were just extended garbage time.
YEP Garbage time because OSU had what, a 40 pt lead all 2nd half?
I think you better revisit the meaning of garbage time

Reaction Score
I think its clear this Palatine character lost most of his brain in a boating accident, or he may just be Bernie from Weekend at Bernies, with 2 idiots from the 80s using his dead fingers to type on his computer keyboard. It's insensitive for us to make fun of someone with such a clear disability.

but I'm the kind of guy who sticks to my guns

Reaction Score
Major step forward for Jalen. The downers pick the bad, can't help themselves , glass half empty thing. He was the best player on the floor and getting stronger . Alpha dog now and not looking back . Loved what I saw from Jalen .

Reaction Score
YEP Garbage time because OSU had what, a 40 pt lead all 2nd half?
I think you better revisit the meaning of garbage time
Sounds like you didn't wat h the whole game.

Reaction Score
Okla State did stop the full court pressure and half court traps after they took that 19 point lead. Foul trouble may have played a hand in that but they seem to take their foot off the petal as we do against bad teams (we are the bad team in this case). We came roaring back and they seem to have no answer for Jalen as they even went zone to eat clock up. They seemed stunned that we still had fight in us.

They hit so many threes i cant imagine that will continue for them. I wasn't impressed with their half court offense inside the three.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Only UConn players to score at least 30 points in a half: Tony Hanson, Bill Corley and Jalen Adams.

Bill Curley went to BCU - Calhoun missed out on him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will enjoy picturing all of you sad sacks crying at the dinner table on Thanksgiving

If you weren't encouraged by seeing them play UConn basketball to battle back after losing Terry and then losing Brimah to total BS fouls in the first half, you don't bleed blue. Jalen had already shown it but last night he showed again why he's a true Husky already

Excited for him to build on it, excited Purvis saw the ball go down the net, very excited for the prospects of Vital and Jackson
This.

Clearly the preseason coronation for this team was premature.

There's a ton of talent on this team, a ton, but the biggest guns are young. I'm not giving up on the season, but the playing time this year will pay dividends next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom