Let me guess, y’all still think zone a bad idea??? | The Boneyard

Let me guess, y’all still think zone a bad idea???

Reaction Score
AJ was getting killed on D every time and he can’t shoot.
I love the kid. Ain’t no way he that athletic and can’t stay in front of nobody. It’s not just him though, it’s damn near everybody. Our problem has been we been thinking we a WAY better man to man defensive team than we are. I don’t even wanna talk about Hurley constantly Whaley and Sanogo together.

Reaction Score
The team killed us from three, and we're going to play zone?
They killed us from 3 cause we can’t guard a can of paint. If you can’t defend man to man you switch something up. And extended zero be, something. Or you can just keep getting killed. When you are athletic as our team is playing zone just shrinks the court.

Reaction Score
I love the kid. Ain’t no way he that athletic and can’t stay in front of nobody. It’s not just him though, it’s damn near everybody. Our problem has been we been thinking we a WAY better man to man defensive team than we are. I don’t even wanna talk about Hurley constantly Whaley and Sanogo together.
I was screaming at him the whole game, he kept trying to poke the ball away instead of concentrating on staying in front of his man and I don't know how many points it cost us.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Once again somebody that doesn’t understand the concepts of different zones lol
Once again, a guy that doesn't even understand the concept of defense, telling the world some high school zone is the way to go. Or maybe it's junior high.

I know there's at least one coach in the country that plays zone. I wonder why all the rest if them are so clueless?

Reaction Score
AJ was getting killed on D every time and he can’t shoot.
AJ's defender always gets plays off while on defense cuz AJ ain't shooting, driving or running around looking for the ball. Opponents are very well rested and positioned to have a great offensive game.

He's a dream to guard, I suspect opponents fight over who gets to guards him.

Reaction Score
Once again, a guy that doesn't even understand the concept of defense, telling the world some high school zone is the way to go. Or maybe it's junior high.

I know there's at least one coach in the country that plays zone. I wonder why all the rest if them are so clueless

I know there's at least one coach in the country that plays zone. I wonder why all the rest if them are so clueless?
Man you cannot be serious

Reaction Score
Is this Buddy or Jim posting in the Boneyard now due to thier free time from basketball??
I promise I be thinking some of y’all ain’t ever picked up a basketball, let alone played it. I don’t even think you be understanding what’s going on in the games actually.

Reaction Score
They killed us from 3 cause we can’t guard a can of paint. If you can’t defend man to man you switch something up. And extended zero be, something. Or you can just keep getting killed. When you are athletic as our team is playing zone just shrinks the court.
Might I interest you in Syracuse? Something tells me you’d LOVE watching them play.

A 32% 3 or team shot 65% on almost entirely contested or long 3 pt attempts. It was not about man vs zone. They just got hot. They would have easily had the same mediocre and bad quality looks against a zone (especially the bad brand of zone we play).

Reaction Score
I was screaming at him the whole game, he kept trying to poke the ball away instead of concentrating on staying in front of his man and I don't know how many points it cost us.
Bingo I was saying this during the chat several times. Every time he reached Allen initiated his drive to his right and got by Jax. Also the help D was seldom or Non existent. It is like UConn players had the Nova game plan in their heads. Where were the satellite defenders shading over to help when Allen was dribbling?!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
New Mexico St came in the 247th ranked three point team and shot 64.7% tonight. That and Allen playing his best game ever.

Reaction Score
New Mexico St came in the 247th ranked three point team and shot 64.7% tonight. That and Allen playing his best game ever.
What's going to be even more depressing is when Allen goes 4 for 20 in his next game and they lose by 15 points. I don't feel this is a Cinderella team that has legs, just played out of their minds and laws of physics and averages tonight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For those talking about zones like it is some 1980's style, pack it in 2-3, you should sit this thread out. NBA teams play zones to stop 3's. The Heat in particular do a great job defending 3's out of a stretch 2-3. But hey, maybe you know more about basketball than Erik Spoelstra.

Whatever Hurley does, UConn can not just sit in a base man-to-man with that dumb hard hedge. At least mix up the man. switch on screens then go over on screens. Anything to make the other team have to adjust.

Most coaches mix up their defenses quite a bit, and I think Hurley needs to do that.

Reaction Score
The team killed us from three, and we're going to play zone?
Yep, I looked for it several times this season. This team could have taken a note from Calhoun and Geno and thrown in a twist when needed. The team did not kill us from three, one player did. A box and one not expected might have just been the recipe.
Once again somebody that doesn’t understand the concepts of different zones lol
Plenty to choose from, but without better under the basket help Sonogo gets gassed running around like a guard and it shows he misses chippies. We play man all night and have him foul a player 28' out is sad.
Reminds me of Randy with weeks to prepare and not bring a single thing different to our biggest bowl game.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I much prefer man to man, but I've always liked the idea of occasionally throwing a team off by tossing in a zone every once in a while for a trip or 2, especially if a team seems to be on a roll. When the zones appear out of nowhere, it really takes the other team by surprise.

Reaction Score
Bingo I was saying this during the chat several times. Every time he reached Allen initiated his drive to his right and got by Jax. Also the help D was seldom or Non existent. It is like UConn players had the Nova game plan in their heads. Where were the satellite defenders shading over to help when Allen was dribbling?!

Did Allen ever go left?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

willie - you do understand that there several different adaptations of a zone defense?
They use several in the NBA and the prime reason is to help cut down on 3 point efficiency
DH doesn't have to go to a primary 2/3 but he could try several different looks and throw them in for a few minutes just to keep the other team honest.
Either DH doesn't understand how to teach a zone or has and just forgets about it
UConn is so easy to scout because its the same old same old the past 4 years

Reaction Score
In Hurley's presser, I'm pretty sure he said they were in a 1-3-1 on the awful Sanogo foul possession. I didn't notice it but wasn't looking for it either. It would explain why NMST was out of sorts on that possession though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yep, I looked for it several times this season. This team could have taken a note from Calhoun and Geno and thrown in a twist when needed. The team did not kill us from three, one player did. A box and one not expected might have just been the recipe.

Plenty to choose from, but without better under the basket help Sonogo gets gassed running around like a guard and it shows he misses chippies. We play man all night and have him foul a player 28' out is sad.
Reminds me of Randy with weeks to prepare and not bring a single thing different to our biggest bowl game.
Sanogo misses bunnies early in the game when he has just walked onto the court. He needs to know that rising and dunking and using the backboard are his friends. The blind, over the head shot has been lucky for him but as we have seen lately, the odds catch up to him. Time to learn some real shooting skills to go along with those fast feet

Reaction Score
In Hurley's presser, I'm pretty sure he said they were in a 1-3-1 on the awful Sanogo foul possession. I didn't notice it but wasn't looking for it either. It would explain why NMST was out of sorts on that possession though.
Was more of a 2-3 but was definitely a zone. Played great defense, Sanogo ended up being the closest guy to Allen and he just has to be smarter on the close out

532F8D03-AB14-4FEC-8B18-65CDA73F1A34.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom