OT: Leo Redgate out at Fairfield Prep | The Boneyard

OT: Leo Redgate out at Fairfield Prep

Reaction Score
Just saw Prep is not renewing his contract. He went 162-48 in 8 years there and made the LL finals 4 times winning it once. Past two years have been down years, but very surprised to see them let him go. Prep was irrelevant in hoops for years before Leo got there.

Anyone know if there is more to this story? Seems like somewhat big news in CT high school hoops.

Reaction Score
Just saw Prep is not renewing his contract. He went 162-48 in 8 years there and made the LL finals 4 times winning it once. Past two years have been down years, but very surprised to see them let him go. Prep was irrelevant in hoops for years before Leo got there.

Anyone know if there is more to this story? Seems like somewhat big news in CT high school hoops.

Push back from parents is what I heard. Really great guy. I never got the feeling that he really was a serious basketball guy but his teams seemed very well coached, so who knows.

Reaction Score
Push back from parents is what I heard. Really great guy. I never got the feeling that he really was a serious basketball guy but his teams seemed very well coached, so who knows.

I heard that was the reason as well

Reaction Score
LOL, yep just cause they weren't winning.

I hope not but things have changed even in HS.
Things have really changed in HS. Parents may have been a pain in the ass in the 80's and 90's but they are intolerable today. It is the same crap after you dig a little: PT. "Billy should be playing SS." Parents mostly think that they know more than the coaches and it gets a lot worse if the team is losing....kind of like the Boneyard if you think about it.:)

Reaction Score
I don't know Redgate -- we have mutual friends -- but I have no sympathy with him. His predecessor, Coach Lee, was an outstanding coach who players loved playing for. Redgate talked his way into the job -- and to be fair had a great deal of success at a football/hockey school -- because he spent his own money to make the program better and attract basketball players to the school.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't followed Prep basketball; which Leo Redgate is this? I believe there is a Jr. and a III. Anyone know what year he graduated Prep?

Reaction Score
I haven't followed Prep basketball; which Leo Redgate is this? I believe there is a Jr. and a III. Anyone know what year he graduated Prep?

Leo graduated from Prep in '86

Reaction Score
I don't know Redgate -- we have mutual friends -- but I have no sympathy with him. His predecessor, Coach Lee, was an outstanding coach who players loved playing for. Redgate talked his way into the job -- and to be fair had a great deal of success at a football/hockey school -- because he spent his own money to make the program better and attract basketball players to the school.

I agree Lee was a good coach but he held the program back by playing only upperclassmen, most of whom were seniors, on varsity. You're right that most players loved playing for Lee, but the program could have been better developed under his lead. He got fired due to complications with the football team, which he also coached as an assistant. His relationship was compromised with the administration, and they let him go because of it. Leo stepped in after the fact. He didn't steal anyone's job if that is what you were implying (not accusing, just addressing your comments).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom