Leave the Gun - Take the Cannoli | The Boneyard

Leave the Gun - Take the Cannoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going by his logic, UConn, at this point, will give access to New England more than any other school. I like our future prospects. I am so worn out by this expansion crap.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the article is correct, Hathaway's incompetence (not properly promoting the athletic programs during a time of great accomplishments, hiring a buffoon when an inspired hire could have propelled us to the top of the conference in football) cost us an immense amount of money. It would not have taken a whole lot for us to have been a far more attractive candidate than Rutty for the B1G. Now we need to hope that the cards fall properly for the ACC to want us and for the ACC to be worth something down the road.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If the article is correct, Hathaway's incompetence (not properly promoting the athletic programs during a time of great accomplishments, hiring a buffoon when an inspired hire could have propelled us to the top of the conference in football) cost us an immense amount of money. It would not have taken a whole lot for us to have been a far more attractive candidate than Rutty for the B1G. Now we need to hope that the cards fall properly for the ACC to want us and for the ACC to be worth something down the road.

Agreed. If the ACC invite never comes, I think it's safe to say that Hathaway's hiring of Pasqualoni and subsequent dismantling of the football program will be the death knell to UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
NE is a wasteland for college sports' interest. Lots of ppl and $$ so the handful of ppl who do care you can unify, but not taking the world over anytime soon.

Hopefully we can weasel into ACC to maintain some modicum of existence.

Interesting take...

“@blauds: Big Ten settles "family business'' with latest expansion moves. Big East, Big 12 and ACC will have to react. http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=3604

Reaction Score

1000%! If we can't even get UConn games on radio in Fairfield County - what are the chances we can hobnob with the B1G and ACC? The only reason we have a decent shot at the ACC is because they're short on candidates that meet the criteria they are looking for.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Agreed. If the ACC invite never comes, I think it's safe to say that Hathaway's hiring of Pasqualoni and subsequent dismantling of the football program will be the death knell to UConn athletics.
Hathaway deserves significant criticism for the hire. I am not yet ready to give up on the athletic program as I still have reason to believe in the current president and AD. Their abilities will be told in time.

I do however believe that JH has not received close to sufficient criticism for his inept handling of a great period of success during his tenure as AD. Rutgers promoted the hell out of one football win. We won multiple national championships in both men's and women's basketball, went to a BCS bowl, hosted a preliminary college baseball tournament game and a year later knocked off Clemson in South Carolina (and were eliminated by the defending & eventual national champions on their home turf) in the NCAA tournament yet nobody heard anything from the school promoting our accomplishments.

Reaction Score

Everyone needs a villain... Don't forget the whole little matter of AAU membership when it comes to B1G.

Does it really make sense to continue to beat someone who was already fired?.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
When we stop feeling the effects of JH's incompetence I'll stop blasting the incompetent slug. Until then feel free to tell me I should stop if that is what floats your boat.

As far as AAU membership goes, I believe our potential fit as a B1G member increased the day Nebraska was booted from that group.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs a villain... Don't forget the whole little matter of AAU membership when it comes to B1G.

Absolutely, because he left us with an awful football coach. When he made the hire, he probably thought he hit it out of the park.

Reaction Score
Oh please. UMD is going to the B1G with Edsall as head coach.

Reaction Score
Oh please. UMD is going to the B1G with Edsall as head coach.

Where did I say P would keep us in the Big East?

We should hire Hathaway back for a few minutes just so that we can fire him again.

Reaction Score

Yeah ... this was Hathaway's Folly ....

Reaction Score
What did JH in was PP all right, but it wasn't Paul Pasqualoni--it was the the Peter Principle. He simply wasn't up to the task. His lack of vision in using athletic success to increase the endowment and capitalize on the "glow" was a joke. That's why JH was let go.The biggest surprise to SH when she arrived was the laughable level of our endowment relative to other similar schools--Rutgers, Pitt etc. JH lacked the foresight and confidence to ask for the moon and accept a few asteroids. He asked for the asteroids first. The other culprits were Austin and Hogan. They let him get away with it.

Reaction Score
What did JH in was PP all right, but it wasn't Paul Pasqualoni--it was the the Peter Principle. He simply wasn't up to the task. His lack of vision in using athletic success to increase the endowment and capitalize on the "glow" was a joke. That's why JH was let go.The biggest surprise to SH when she arrived was the laughable level of our endowment relative to other similar schools--Rutgers, Pitt etc. JH lacked the foresight and confidence to ask for the moon and accept a few asteroids. He asked for the asteroids first. The other culprits were Austin and Hogan. They let him get away with it.

Everything you just said is true but I heard he lied to Herbst. She had him investigated and that was it. She couldn't trust him. Hard to justify keeping a non-performing liar around.

Reaction Score

On every single B10 board I've read recently, they were totally dismissing the whole idea about AAU membership. I dismiss it too. A nice thing to talk about, until Nebraska and Notre Dame come calling. Then suddenly it doesn't matter. maybe it does matter with schools like UConn and Rutgers, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
One other thing I'd add: there's no point in bemoaning the selection of Rutgers over UConn by the B10. Rutgers has been a B10 afterthought for 2 decades now. They were always going to get in before UConn, whether Hathaway was a UConn AD or a male model with a patch over his eye.

Reaction Score
On every single B10 board I've read recently, they were totally dismissing the whole idea about AAU membership. I dismiss it too. A nice thing to talk about, until Nebraska and Notre Dame come calling. Then suddenly it doesn't matter. maybe it does matter with schools like UConn and Rutgers, but I doubt it.

i agree w/ ND (or Texas) and it not mandatory. I get what the AAU is and what it isn't but with all thing being equal - one has it, one doesn't, would you agree it could tip the scale so as not to send the wrong message to current membership?

Moot point now...

Reaction Score
i agree w/ ND (or Texas) and it not mandatory. I get what the AAU is and what it isn't but with all thing being equal - one has it, one doesn't, would you agree it could tip the scale so as not to send the wrong message to current membership?

Moot point now...

It's hard to know what they are thinking, but if you read the quotes of the Wisky President as she was out the door on her way to Amherst College, she sounded like it was never even discussed with regard to Nebraska. In fact, she said plainly that it wasn't discussed during the meeting to invite them in. Whether that means anything or not, who knows, but you'd think someone might mention to the Presidents that, "Hey! There are very few prime football schools out there that are AAU members and fit into our demographic."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom