OT: Leave It To Beaver and similar shows | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Leave It To Beaver and similar shows

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Beverly Hillbillies. Hilarious. Buddy Ebson's tongue in cheek humor. Drysdale the unscrupulous banker. His secretary Miss Jane with the hots for Jethro. They thought pool sticks in the billiard room of their mansion were "pot passers".

Reaction Score
Some homes had other phones or extension phones in other rooms. As a kid, I would try to discreetly pick up the extension to overhear conversations. Sometimes, I got away with it and other times, I did not.

My grandmother lived upstairs from us in a two story house. We shared a party line with her. We were often interrupted during our conversations with friends by my grandmother asking if my mother was on the line. Pretty embarrassing when I was a kid. Kids with their cell phones don't know how good they have it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Beverly Hillbillies. Hilarious. Buddy Ebson's tongue in cheek humor. Drysdale the unscrupulous banker. His secretary Miss Jane with the hots for Jethro. They thought pool sticks in the billiard room of their mansion were "pot passers".

Not Dennis the Menace?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
77 Sunset Strip with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Roger Smith, Edd Brynes, Louis Quinn and Jacqueline Beer. "Kookie lend Me your Comb."

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Addams Family on You Tube, don't believe it was shown in color. Great stuff and Gomez, well he's my hero.

That was my "must watch" prime time show growing up. Much better writing than The Munsters.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Little House on the Prairie
Emergency

Daniel Boone
F Troup

I dream of Jeannie

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, there was Dobie Gillis with Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebs (what work!!!). Denver played later in Gilligan's Island. There was a goofy show, called The Stu Irwin Show. Yes, Dennis the Menace was good and that crotched Mr. Wilson.

Then a lot of clean comedy with Jack Benny, Phil Silvers, others too. Gary Moore show.

I remember the whole family sitting together watching the shows, but also having a meal together at the table for supper.

Though if you are this old to remember, before the polio vaccine in 1955, it was petrifying as a kid to watch Buffalo Bob from Howdy Doody (a show I never liked even as a kid) visit the hospitals with young children in iron lungs. You thought that you could be next.

Watching that on TV, made you---------- in your pants. Not literally of course.

Covid is real scary too.

Sorry to digress. All those contemporary shows and events seem to merge in my mind.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Some that I remember from the 50's: Mama, The Big Story, The Millionaire, I led Three Lives, Captain Video and his Video Rangers, Sea Hunt, Silent Service , You are There, Dragnet, Gillette Cavalcade of Sports, I Love Lucy, among others. Remember them well.

Reaction Score
Some that I remember from the 50's: Mama, The Big Story, The Millionaire, I led Three Lives, Captain Video and his Video Rangers, Sea Hunt, Silent Service , You are There, Dragnet, Gillette Cavalcade of Sports, I Love Lucy, among others. Remember them well.
Yeah. You Are There with Walter Kronkite. He or another reporter and that I don't remember, would be at past events asking a person in the audience what they liked about an event. One was at a rally for a future dictator in Europe, and the spectator would rave about him. You can figure out who that dictator in waiting was. The Millionaire about Marvin Miller knocking on a door with a million dollar check from the anonymous donor requesting the recipient to do some things.

Cool shows. Where are they now? Where are their equivalents or near equivalents?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
you damn right. 3 of my top 10 favorite shows
I still call Will Smith "The Fresh Prince". Between growing up listening to the music then the show, I just can't bring myself to call him Will Smith for some reason. I saw Uncle Phil up close at the Pilot Penn tennis tourney back in the day and he was indeed a large man!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My father and I would watch the Schlitz Playhouse without fail, at least when it was live. After they switched to prerecording it, we'd only watch it if it was a particularly interesting story. His favorite sitcom was the Life of Riley. He hated game shows, but loved You Bet Your Life, which was sort of a game show, but the game really just existed to provide Groucho a platform to get crazy on. Variety shows were big then. Dad would watch Red Skelton over Uncle Milty, and couldn't stomach Ed Sullivan.

Reaction Score
Here's the story about a man named jed.a poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed.then one day he was shooting at some food and up thru the ground come a bubbling crude,oil that is black gold Texas tea,the first thing you know ole Jed's a millionaire the kinfolk said jed move away from here,californy is the place you outta be so they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverlie ..,hills that is ,swimming pools ,movie stars...freaking memorized!

arch

Reaction Score
Treasury Men in Action. Followed Mama on Friday nights.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Cheers!

“Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you’ve got
Taking a break from all your worries
Sure would help a lot

Wouldn't you like to get away?”

Reaction Score
Yeah. You Are There with Walter Kronkite. He or another reporter and that I don't remember, would be at past events asking a person in the audience what they liked about an event. One was at a rally for a future dictator in Europe, and the spectator would rave about him. You can figure out who that dictator in waiting was. The Millionaire about Marvin Miller knocking on a door with a million dollar check from the anonymous donor requesting the recipient to do some things.

Cool shows. Where are they now? Where are their equivalents or near equivalents?
Here is a link to a You Are There episode on Youtube about the Titanic:

Sorry I am not adept at just uploading or downloading as many others on the BY seem to be.

Reaction Score
Here is a link to a You Are There episode on Youtube about the Titanic:

Sorry I am not adept at just uploading or downloading as many others on the BY seem to be.

It did go through. I feel better about it now.

Reaction Score
I'm more into re-listening to the radio programs of my youth on the YouTube. The Cliquot Club Eskimos, Sam 'n Henry, The Acousticon Hour, and the A&P Gypsies for starters.

Reaction Score
For you Connecticut old-timers...remember the Ranger Andy show? I was on the show once. Sat in the front row of the kids gallery. It was kind of a weird scene.

Reaction Score
I'm more into re-listening to the radio programs of my youth on the YouTube. The Cliquot Club Eskimos, Sam 'n Henry, The Acousticon Hour, and the A&P Gypsies for starters.
I checked them out. Interesting genre from the 20's and 30's. Maybe you liked King Oliver too?
I liked the songs, "Whispering," and "Ostrich Walk," from that era. I am from the Doo wop era.

Reaction Score
For you Connecticut old-timers...remember the Ranger Andy show? I was on the show once. Sat in the front row of the kids gallery. It was kind of a weird scene.

LOL. I was also on Ranger Andy, Bezzz.

Reaction Score
Leave it to Beaver my favorite. Munsters, Addams Family, Dennis the Menace, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligans Island all really good.

More of the night shows - Combat, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Rat Patrol, Twilight Zone (still watch it), Room 222, Courtship of Eddies Father, My Favorite Martian, Mr Ed, Brady Bunch, Rifleman...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Munsters.
Gilligan's Island
The Rifleman

These are the only Black and Whites I'd watch.

Recently stopped on Gunsmoke. It was good. A really young Cloris Leachman guested.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom