Learning to Win | The Boneyard

Learning to Win

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have to learn how to make each possession count in these games.

1. At 48-47 UConn had three straight possessions that came up empty. A couple of good looks at 3's but they didn't drop.
2. @Chief00 correctly points out players hanging at FT line waiting for refs to figure things out leads to poor first FT attempts (JA with less than a minute to go).
3. Carlton played much better interior D the second half. He is overwhelmed offensively against better opponents but that was legit D he was playing.
4. Great to see ball movement towards the end and twice finding Polley for spot up 3's. Much more for opponents to defend than the high pick and roll only.
5. After an active first half was hoping to see more of Sid in second half.
6. AI had a bad game. Not the end of the world but he needs to learn his limits and to trust his teammates.
7. Need to work on lobs for alley oops on the dribble, drop plays to the bigs. Arizona just kept their hands below their shoulders and easily deflected or stole several drop off attempts by UConn guards. Have to be able to put the ball up towards the rim. No, Carlton and Cobb aren't high risers but they can catch and shoot passes that go up high.

Not the worst loss in the world, but this game was definitely winnable.

Reaction Score
Basically it came down to a 4 point deficit we couldnt overcome. I'm not complaining.

Our lack or talent showed sometimes. It happens. Limited versatility.

We're a couple sketchy calls and a bad 1 minute stretch from beating a very talented team handily. Free throws wouldve done it too. I'm not complaining.

Did anyone expect this to be competitive in year 1 with a new coach when the schedule came out?

But damn, we'll miss Jalen.

Reaction Score
I mean, I guess the only thing to take away from this after what you said is last year Uconn gets crushed vs this Zona team in similar situations. (When it got to 9 they would have folded). This year they had an outside shot at a win until the closing seconds. This was perhaps the most likely win out of the Zona/Nova/FSU trio so a little nervous now...well, a lot.

I thought zona threw it away on one position but they got to inbound, did not get that. I also thought that shot clock violation AFTER the tie up was bogus and should have been fixed. One or two other odd calls, I think there was a charge call that should not have been.

Uconn played quite poorly to be honest, AG had some out of control plays, a few bad three being chucked up, offense should not go through cobb but he is great on the boards just the same...Overall Uconn played a very average game so good to see they were in it to the end.

Reaction Score
Team needs to learn how to win these games. AG needs to let the game come to him.

Reaction Score
We just lost a must win game, hard to take many positives.

If maybe they would learn that every possession matters for the entire game not just the last 5 minutes.

Turnovers lead to easy points and they still haven't learned that & some of them may never.

Reaction Score
Listen it’s a rebuilding year. It’s a new system with new coaches. Give it TIME. Yes an NIT is probably the most realistic path of this team but that doesn’t mean it isn’t successful. We were OUT last year of everything. This team is sloppy but once Hurley gets his players in and they have more and more experience this team will be a juggernaut and I think everyone outside the program agrees. They are sloppy but they were sloppy last year too. It’s a process. Doesn’t it feel nice to not be numb to a loss anymore? This is a good lesson for them

Reaction Score
Not a discouraging loss in terms of how we looked, but one that could have a big impact on our March chances.

For a team likely to end up on the bubble, you just have to take advantage of a winnable game against a marquee opponent.

Reaction Score
We just lost a must win game, hard to take many positives.

If maybe they would learn that every possession matters for the entire game not just the last 5 minutes.

Turnovers lead to easy points and they still haven't learned that & some of them may never.

First off, the notion that this was a "must win" game is utterly absurd! Secondly, this is team that has NEVER been coached before Hurley got here. These kids are young and are going to take time, it's barely December for Christ sake.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Our team likes to play fast instead of playing quick. Leadig to a lot of turnovers..

Disappointing loss as Arizona was seemingly trying to give us this game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Polley and Smith with some really poor D in final few minutes.
If Cobb can learn to play D he could have stayed in and that would have helped the team
Basically a really bad offensive game from AG and JA struggled in second half
Got to give Zona credit -they hit free throws after shooting around 76% for the year
This should have been a W for UConn yet they did enough stupid things to ensure a loss
DH did not do a good job in adjustments and TO (time out) management
I think UConn will beat Nova but FSU may be a nightmare
NEXT..........................

Reaction Score
First off, the notion that this was a "must win" game is utterly absurd! Secondly, this is team that has NEVER been coached before Hurley got here. These kids are young and are going to take time, it's barely December for Christ sake.
Dude it's a home game against a non-conf power team we should have won, we don't have anymore of those.

If we beat FSU or Nova then it takes the sting out of this but 1 signature non-conf win against Cuse isn't enough.

Was it a "must-win"....time will tell but it complicates things immensely.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They made free throws and beat us backdoor. Offensively we had too many travels. That’s the game

Reaction Score
So many sloppy out of control charges. Gotta know when to hit brakes, jump stop and hit a 8-10 footer or drop it to a big

Reaction Score
Cuse won't be a signature win by anyone outside of this website come the end of the year

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Basically this is the same team that had a losing record last year. Today they were competetive the whole game.

This program is not going to turn around in one season.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I kind of fall into the tired of the moral victory talk. This was a home game vs an unranked team from the pac12. I'm just tired of losing these types of games. I'm confident in Hurley, but these loses suck as a fan.

A team that flew to Maui last week and flew to CT this week.

We should have been able to take advantage of that with the way we play.

Reaction Score

It didn't end momentum is my point. They kept playing and playing well with the exception of the missed free throw and need the D to be better at the end. As great as Polley was hitting back to back 3s that foul he had at the end was also unnecessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom