Learning curve for linebackers in new UConn system (Jim Fuller) | The Boneyard

Learning curve for linebackers in new UConn system (Jim Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Nice writeup. I like the 4-3 in today's game. I feel like it offers better opportunity to get a pass rush going against all of these spread uptempo offenses. The LBs have too much responsibility in coverage of TEs and HB/FBs that 3 down rushers typically isn't enough. Now it's just a matter of strength, speed and technique rushing 4 down linemen.

Reaction Score
We are really going to need 2 or 3 of the young LBs to step up for this to work. We really have to hope the next set of recruits has a Sio, Lutrus, Wilson, Johnson, etc. Not worried about stars on a website, just kids who can play.

Reaction Score
Nice writeup. I like the 4-3 in today's game. I feel like it offers better opportunity to get a pass rush going against all of these spread uptempo offenses. The LBs have too much responsibility in coverage of TEs and HB/FBs that 3 down rushers typically isn't enough. Now it's just a matter of strength, speed and technique rushing 4 down linemen.
I liked the 4-3 when we had the right guys in the right positions. I think we need a little more mystery now, and the 3-4 can bring that. Let the offense guess where that 4th rusher is coming from... or not.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

It's interesting. I feel the exact opposite. The 4-3 doesn't give you enough variety in terms of varying looks and blitz packages to pressure the QB. The problem is that big, athletic nose tackles and 280 lb. defensive ends don't just grow on trees, and you kind of need those to stop the run in the 3-4.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that?
For me it was the crazed look that he showed when he was introduced as the starting fullback on the old video scoreboard. Play to that face on Defense and he is an All American.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that?
He is a senior. He played great against MI and UCF. I liked his explosiveness and toughness. In Diaco's 3-4 I envision seeing him at weak side or "CAT" linebacker. Of the LB's he would be the main pass rusher (they all blitz) but from what I have read the "CAT" LB also needs to be big enough (he's 6'4" -250) to take on blocks from OT's and RB's. Trevardo Williams probably would have been a "CAT" under Diaco (undersized but his speed makes up for it.) The nose guard (300 +) and DT's are big 275-290 in Diaco's D and Gap control is a big part of the success. The other outside linebacker is called the "DOG" or strong side LB. His responsibility is to cover TE and RB coming out of the backfield. I see a player like Jefferson Ashiru http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jefferson_ashiru_763719.html filling that role. As I watched Rueben Frank and his conversion from FB to LB last year, I wondered why it took so long to play him on D and I also felt he was underutilized (maybe a learning curve). I am hoping what we saw last year was a glimpse of great play from Rueben Frank in 2014. This link does a great job explaining the 3-4. It also describes an ideal SAM under Diaco as being Demarcus Ware's size at 6'4" and around 250 which also happens to be Rueben Frank's size! This position calls for a big fella. ND's last two at CAT were Prince Shembo, 6'2" 258 and Ishaq Williams 6'5" 271! http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2012/08/22/notre-dame-3-4-defense-primer/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm excited about Frank too bro... when we recruited him he was a DL coming out of HS... Thought he'd be on D from the start, but he's ending up that way here... I hope he flourishes in this system sooner rather than later because of how new it is to us...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I just want four linebackers to step up. It doesn't matter who it is, but I would like to see Frank be one of those players

Reaction Score
I remember hearing this from my mom growing up. I wonder if any UConn athletes ever heard this from their mother.

970044_622778367802431_990061054_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate