League Championship Promotion race | The Boneyard

League Championship Promotion race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2 games left and it's appears to be a 4 team scramble to finish top 2 and get automatic promotion (and finishing 3-6 to avoid the 4 team playoff for the third and final promotion spot), and there are 8 teams mathematically alive to finish top 6. For those not familiar, there are 24 teams in League Championship. 3 promoted, 3 relegated. 1st and 2nd automatically get promoted, and then 3rd thru 6th have a playoff (3 v 6 and 4 v 5 in a home and home semi final, the winners playing at Wembley for the final promotion).

Here's the teams in contention:
1) Watford - 85 points, remains matches @ Brighton (20th place) and v Sheffield Wednesday (12th place).
2) AFC Bournemouth - 84, v Bolton (17th) and @ Charlton Athletic (10th)
3) Middlesbrough - 84, v Fulham (18th) and @ Brighton (20th)
4) Norwich - 82, @ Rotherham United (21st) , v. Fulham (18th)
5) Derby County - 76, @ Millwall (22nd), v. Reading (19th)
6) Ipswich Town - 75, v Nottingham Forest (11th) , @ Blackburn (9th)
7) Brentford - 72, @ Reading (19th), v Wigan (23rd)
8) Wolverhampton - 72, @ Wigan (23rd), @ Millwall (22nd).

I look for Watford and Middlesborough to go top 2, and Bournemouth v Brentford in one semi, Norwich v Derby in the other. Derby v Bournemouth at Wembley with Derby getting promoted.

If you haven't seen these final matches, try and find the time. So exciting and the fans are insane.

Reaction Score
2 games left and it's appears to be a 4 team scramble to finish top 2 and get automatic promotion (and finishing 3-6 to avoid the 4 team playoff for the third and final promotion spot), and there are 8 teams mathematically alive to finish top 6. For those not familiar, there are 24 teams in League Championship. 3 promoted, 3 relegated. 1st and 2nd automatically get promoted, and then 3rd thru 6th have a playoff (3 v 6 and 4 v 5 in a home and home semi final, the winners playing at Wembley for the final promotion).

Here's the teams in contention:
1) Watford - 85 points, remains matches @ Brighton (20th place) and v Sheffield Wednesday (12th place).
2) AFC Bournemouth - 84, v Bolton (17th) and @ Charlton Athletic (10th)
3) Middlesbrough - 84, v Fulham (18th) and @ Brighton (20th)
4) Norwich - 82, @ Rotherham United (21st) , v. Fulham (18th)
5) Derby County - 76, @ Millwall (22nd), v. Reading (19th)
6) Ipswich Town - 75, v Nottingham Forest (11th) , @ Blackburn (9th)
7) Brentford - 72, @ Reading (19th), v Wigan (23rd)
8) Wolverhampton - 72, @ Wigan (23rd), @ Millwall (22nd).

I look for Watford and Middlesborough to go top 2, and Bournemouth v Brentford in one semi, Norwich v Derby in the other. Derby v Bournemouth at Wembley with Derby getting promoted.

If you haven't seen these final matches, try and find the time. So exciting and the fans are insane.

Thanks. Admittedly, I do not follow the 2nd England tier; but, I am surprised to see Reading sitting way down in 19 just above regulation after seeing how well they played against Arsenal and others in the FA Cup. Is it sad to see some former EPL teams struggling, too, like Leeds United, Fulham, etc.?

Reaction Score
Thanks. Admittedly, I do not follow the 2nd England tier; but, I am surprised to see Reading sitting way down in 19 just above regulation after seeing how well they played against Arsenal and others in the FA Cup. Is it sad to see some former EPL teams struggling, too, like Leeds United, Fulham, etc.?

I wish they showed more matches from the Championship, If you want a league with a decent amount of Parity but still has a good a bit of narrative and lead changes then this is probably the league for you. It seems like only a few weeks ago Derby County and Bournemouth were the trendy picks but I lost track of what was happening.

Also interesting to see some of these EPL mainstays doing so horribly.

Leeds made a ton of dumb decisions and they are basically lucky to still exist.

Wigan is dysfunctional. Just about every decent player they had either left or tried to leave in January. Espinoza somehow got his contract terminated and Maloney is now a Designated Player for the Chicago Fire.

Fulham is owned by the same guy who owns the Jacksonville Jaguars, full stop.

I played a season of the Championship in FIFA '15. It's an awesome format. You play a weekday and a weekend league match unless you have a Cup tie. After a while your players get completely worn out and you have to go pretty deep into the bench. Too bad we couldn't do something like this in the US but the travel would be brutal.

Reaction Score
Ya, Reading has been pretty inconsistent all year. My brother is a Reading supporter. He went to a few of their games when he visisted London years ago where friends of his are season ticket holders. He has been a fan ever since so I get the updates from him. They've struggled since being relegated a couple years ago.

@Mr. Conehead, try this for next season, pick a League Championship side to follow and pull for to get promoted. It will suck you in (but with less of the emotional investment or intensity you have for Arsenal). It's an entertaining league and their play-in for the third promotion spot is outstanding. The final match at Wembley is sooo intense (on the pitch and in the stands). I always pick a League Championship team to pull for. #1 has always been Nottingham Forest (liked them from when I was a kid, probably b/c of the Robin Hood connection to Nottinghamshire and me confusing Notingham Forest w. Sherwood Forest). #2 is Derby County. Started pulling for them after watching the movie The Damned United.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Ya, Reading has been pretty inconsistent all year. My brother is a Reading supporter. He went to a few of their games when he visisted London years ago where friends of his are season ticket holders. He has been a fan ever since so I get the updates from him. They've struggled since being relegated a couple years ago.

@Mr. Conehead, try this for next season, pick a League Championship side to follow and pull for to get promoted. It will suck you in (but with less of the emotional investment or intensity you have for Arsenal). It's an entertaining league and their play-in for the third promotion spot is outstanding. The final match at Wembley is sooo intense (on the pitch and in the stands). I always pick a League Championship team to pull for. #1 has always been Nottingham Forest (liked them from when I was a kid, probably b/c of the Robin Hood connection to Nottinghamshire and me confusing Notingham Forest w. Sherwood Forest). #2 is Derby County. Started pulling for them after watching the movie The Damned United.

Started following the Championship level the year that Newcastle were relagated - Thankfully they gain promotion at the first try the following season - but I agree some of the season ending games and the playoff are very exciting.
I usually check in regularly to see the standings (whos in the top 2, the top 6 and who is in the bottom three) - This year I hve been pulling for Bournemouth for now other reason than that I have visited there several times through the past few years.

Reaction Score
Started following the Championship level the year that Newcastle were relagated - Thankfully they gain promotion at the first try the following season - but I agree some of the season ending games and the playoff are very exciting.
I usually check in regularly to see the standings (whos in the top 2, the top 6 and who is in the bottom three) - This year I have been pulling for Bournemouth for now other reason than that I have visited there several times through the past few years.

Same reason for me why I am a Arsenal fan, have been to 2 of their games and got hooked. Plus, my conscious can only be a fan of 1 money team (the Yankees), so man U is out, which also means I detest the Liverpool Red Sox, and I am not a fan of Russia Tycoons and Oil Sheiks, so man City and Chelsea are out.

If I have time next season in between rooting for the Huskies, Yankees, Rangers, and Gunner plus coaching 3 kids teams, working, housework, and I think I have a wife, I will pull for a Championship level team :) Since I was born in Derby, I would root for them if they are not promoted. I like Reading, too. See what happens.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I totally agree with this logic. For some reason I got pulled into League 2 side Mansfield Town. It was when they got into the FA Cup and pulled an upset or two and had Liverpool at home. It was awesome to see Liverpool play at Championship Premier side. Two years ago Mansfield Two got promotion into League 2 and this season has been dreadful but their safe from relegation. While I can't watch any of their matches, I find myself pulling for them as much as Swansea at times. I think Fifa has gotten me addicted to these lower league sides. I lvoe tot ake a team and bring them up through the leagues in England.

I agree with Zoo that the schedule is insane with how many games they play. I can't imagine how worn down some players must be.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this logic. For some reason I got pulled into League 2 side Mansfield Town. It was when they got into the FA Cup and pulled an upset or two and had Liverpool at home. It was awesome to see Liverpool play at Championship Premier side. Two years ago Mansfield Two got promotion into League 2 and this season has been dreadful but their safe from relegation. While I can't watch any of their matches, I find myself pulling for them as much as Swansea at times. I think Fifa has gotten me addicted to these lower league sides. I lvoe tot ake a team and bring them up through the leagues in England.

I agree with Zoo that the schedule is insane with how many games they play. I can't imagine how worn down some players must be.

I am going to take on a League 2 team for my next campaign. Not going to use restarts, financial takeovers or extra scouts.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I am going to take on a League 2 team for my next campaign. Not going to use restarts, financial takeovers or extra scouts.
I was gonna do it but my time is limited now a days so I am doing a season with Oldham Athletic and figured it's one less season I gotta play. Haven't used any financial take overs yet and im fighting for promotion. I freaking love this game.

Reaction Score
I was gonna do it but my time is limited now a days so I am doing a season with Oldham Athletic and figured it's one less season I gotta play. Haven't used any financial take overs yet and im fighting for promotion. I freaking love this game.

I find myself looking forward to the transfer windows more than anything. I like picking which guys get loaned out and making a huge profit from guys coming out of the youth squad. I just sold a center back to PSG USD.

One thing that is annoying is at the beginning of the season when the points are so close together, fans and the board get pissed even if you have enough points for first place but you're behind on GD or something. The other thing is the programmed annual "homesick player" saga.

Maybe you can save Portsmouth for me?

I am going to look for a club that has something like 250k transfer budget and play it on World Class.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I find myself looking forward to the transfer windows more than anything. I like picking which guys get loaned out and making a huge profit from guys coming out of the youth squad. I just sold a center back to PSG USD.

One thing that is annoying is at the beginning of the season when the points are so close together, fans and the board get pissed even if you have enough points for first place but you're behind on GD or something. The other thing is the programmed annual "homesick player" saga.

I am going to look for a club that has something like 250k transfer budget and play it on World Class.
Totally agree on transfer window. I'm playing Fifa 14 and was playing '12 forever. Something new with '14 is that players can sign deals on expiring contracts. Was trying to sell two players on expiring contracts only to have them sign deals with other clubs. Caught me by surprise. Really enjoy the game and definitely look forward to transfer windows. Still working on figuring out the whole global scouting network bit and how best to use it.

Reaction Score
Totally agree on transfer window. I'm playing Fifa 14 and was playing '12 forever. Something new with '14 is that players can sign deals on expiring contracts. Was trying to sell two players on expiring contracts only to have them sign deals with other clubs. Caught me by surprise. Really enjoy the game and definitely look forward to transfer windows. Still working on figuring out the whole global scouting network bit and how best to use it.

Yeah, you've got to keep the players you like or want to sell at some point on long term deals. Just like in real life. When I was building up my current dynasty with West Brom, I did well taking players on loan with an option to buy.

I think the '15 version on PS4 is a huge improvement.

The other thing that is cool, is that if you just play individual games with actual real time teams, the player abilities get upgraded or downgraded based on their current form.

Global scouting is pretty easy. It's better to have one really good scout than a bunch of mediocre ones. Set your search parameters broad at first and then get more specific.

If you're looking for a winger who is good at free kicks then just look for wingers and when you have found a bunch then check and see if any of them have good FK stats. A player with 74 on Free Kick Accuracy is pretty damn good, but he won't have that "Free Kick" skill listed.

Look for young players (18-21) that are listed for loan. Many times those guys will be rated low numerically, but if you play them often then their true potential emerges.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, you've got to keep the players you like or want to sell at some point on long term deals. Just like in real life. When I was building up my current dynasty with West Brom, I did well taking players on loan with an option to buy.

I think the '15 version on PS4 is a huge improvement.

The other thing that is cool, is that if you just play individual games with actual real time teams, the player abilities get upgraded or downgraded based on their current form.

Global scouting is pretty easy. It's better to have one really good scout than a bunch of mediocre ones. Set your search parameters broad at first and then get more specific.

If you're looking for a winger who is good at free kicks then just look for wingers and when you have found a bunch then check and see if any of them have good FK stats. A player with 74 on Free Kick Accuracy is pretty damn good, but he won't have that "Free Kick" skill listed.

Look for young players (18-21) that are listed for loan. Many times those guys will be rated low numerically, but if you play them often then their true potential emerges.
I usually only aim for younger players. I like to get them To grow. I did sign two players to contracts that will start next season. Thanks for the info on scouting. I have two one star guys working in two areas, England and Germany. I'm gonna try to upgrade one to a higher level. What does a higher level scout do though that a one star doesnt?

Sorry to derail this thread folks but hey, it's the Boneyard and that's what happens to threads!

Reaction Score
I usually only aim for younger players. I like to get them To grow. I did sign two players to contracts that will start next season. Thanks for the info on scouting. I have two one star guys working in two areas, England and Germany. I'm gonna try to upgrade one to a higher level. What does a higher level scout do though that a one star doesnt?

Sorry to derail this thread folks but hey, it's the Boneyard and that's what happens to threads!

The greater the number of stars, the higher the likelihood that they will find what you are looking for, and assess the talent of the player accurately.

Reaction Score
Damn, Club Brugge got knocked out from Europa in the quarterfinals by DNIP. Been to Bruges twice and love it and even caught a Euro Cup match there in 2000 (France v Czech). Thus, back when I was allowed to play video games, I lead Club Brugge through season play, a Europa championship and eventually a Champions title.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Watford for securing promotion to the Premiere League!!

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Looks like if Bournemouth wins on Monday against Bolton they'll be moving up as well as the only thing that could happen is Middlesbrough wins on Saturday and somehow overcomes a 16 Goal Differential!

However, the exciting bit is the race for the playoff 4. Middlesbrough and Norwich City are locks but the other two spots are up for grabs. Should Ipswich and Derby lose next weekend they could be passed by Brentford and Wolverhampton however it will be tough for Wolverhampton as they have a +12 GD and Ipswich has a +19. Pretty exciting stuff.

16DE4gs.jpg

Reaction Score
Well, the Gunners could not break through Chelsea with both teams have issues with the referees. Do want to send my deepest gratitude to Tim Howard & co. at Everton for absolutely thrashing Man U 3 to 0.

Reaction Score
Looks like if Bournemouth wins on Monday against Bolton they'll be moving up as well as the only thing that could happen is Middlesbrough wins on Saturday and somehow overcomes a 16 Goal Differential!

However, the exciting bit is the race for the playoff 4. Middlesbrough and Norwich City are locks but the other two spots are up for grabs. Should Ipswich and Derby lose next weekend they could be passed by Brentford and Wolverhampton however it will be tough for Wolverhampton as they have a +12 GD and Ipswich has a +19. Pretty exciting stuff.
Agreed. Bournemouth should get 3 points this afternoon, although Rotherham is just above the relegation zone, so they have a lot to play for. If they win, they ensure they won't get relegated. It will be pretty intense.
It is all about positioning for Middlesborough and Norwich.
Ipswich & Derby have some work to do. A draw or win for either will assure they finish 5/6. A loss by either and Brentford or Wlves could sneak in to the playoff. What will make those two games even more intense is Wigan and Millwall (Brentford and Wolverhamptons opponants) are both playing to avoid relegation, so expect some interesting happenings.

5) Ipswich Town 78 pts, +19 GD, @ Blackburn (9th)
5) Derby County 77 pts, +32 GD, v. Reading (19th)
7) Brentford 75 pts, +16 GD v Wigan (23rd)
8) Wolverhampton 75 pts, +12 GD, @ Millwall (22nd).

Reaction Score
Bournemouth beat Bolton 3-0, congrat to them on promotion.

Come on Derby County!!!

Reaction Score
Rotherham just beat Reading 2-1, which means that the League Championship bottom 3 is set in stone. Millwall and Wigan had a sliver of hope had Rotherham lost or drawn, but now they are relegated. This is good news for Wolverhampton and Brentford, who are playing Millwal and Wigan Saturday. Those two teams will have nothing on the line.

Reaction Score
Rotherham just beat Reading 2-1, which means that the League Championship bottom 3 is set in stone. Millwall and Wigan had a sliver of hope had Rotherham lost or drawn, but now they are relegated. This is good news for Wolverhampton and Brentford, who are playing Millwal and Wigan Saturday. Those two teams will have nothing on the line.

Isn't soccer great! One week, Reading almost (some say should have) beat Arsenal in London and the next they lose to one of the weaker sides in the second tier league. Wasn't Wigan in the EPL only 2 years ago (2012/3) and in 3 years will have fallen to the 3rd tier. Ouch!

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Isn't soccer great! One week, Reading almost (some say should have) beat Arsenal in London and the next they lose to one of the weaker sides in the second tier league. Wasn't Wigan in the EPL only 2 years ago (2012/3) and in 3 years will have fallen to the 3rd tier. Ouch!
Yup. Wolverhamton had a similar fall from grace but then turned around and gained promotion to the Championship and almost got into the promotion playoffs this season. So a turn around is possible.

Fulham was relegate last season and we're almost in the bottom three for half the season before pulling away since January or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom