Leadership | The Boneyard

Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Here we are in August. The season is fast approaching, and the team's leadership has undergone a big change, as it does every season to some extent. Some years you have key leaders carry over, as when Renee was here. Maya, in her own way, was part of the leadership all four years by dint of her uniquely contagious--and IMO unparalleled--drive and professionalism.

Bria and Stef clearly had the mantle last year, and they were up to the task. KML has been making all the right sounds and I think that her personality is a natural fit for this role.

Mo will also be a key leader and possibly as vocal or more so when the game clock is running. Probably KML will be a bit more of an enforcer when things run astray in practice or people aren't on point, although we heard of similar instances last year where Mo was in there calling people to the carpet, so it may be a tag-team affair. Just my impressions. Morgan is even more of a natural and should provide a strong voice but I have a feeling that like KML last year, she may well defer somewhat until next season.

Anyway, besides the obvious joy in dissecting the Xs and Os each year, I like to see how the tone and tenor of the squad develops wrt to its collective personality. I think if KML really puts her stamp on this year's group, it could be an even more amazing year than we might be guessing (except for Tonyc). Her confidence and swag should, as a senior, come out in full bloom and may set that tone for the team. If so, look out.

It's going to be fun to watch!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here we are in August. The season is fast approaching, and the team's leadership has undergone a big change, as it does every season to some extent. Some years you have key leaders carry over, as when Renee was here. Maya, in her own way, was part of the leadership all four years by dint of her uniquely contagious--and IMO unparalleled--drive and professionalism.

Bria and Stef clearly had the mantle last year, and they were up to the task. KML has been making all the right sounds and I think that her personality is a natural fit for this role.

Mo will also be a key leader and possibly as vocal or more so when the game clock is running. Probably KML will be a bit more of an enforcer when things run astray in practice or people aren't on point, although we heard of similar instances last year where Mo was in there calling people to the carpet, so it may be a tag-team affair. Just my impressions. Morgan is even more of a natural and should provide a strong voice but I have a feeling that like KML last year, she may well defer somewhat until next season.

Anyway, besides the obvious joy in dissecting the Xs and Os each year, I like to see how the tone and tenor of the squad develops wrt to its collective personality. I think if KML really puts her stamp on this year's group, it could be an even more amazing year than we might be guessing (except for Tonyc). Her confidence and swag should, as a senior, come out in full bloom and may set that tone for the team. If so, look out.

Lots of good thoughts here VAM.
I just think the ideal on the court leader should be the one bringing the ball down court. So if Mo is ready I'd prefer she be the main leader while KML piles up the points. Or maybe this is just old-fashioned thinking.

Reaction Score
They will figure it out very soon and I am sure the coaches have spoke to the players.........Every game on Ntional TV...........Who would not wat to play for UCONN?

Reaction Score
You all can bet the heretofore unmentioned Breanna Stewart is a great team leader, too! A leader in sooooo many ways..........I'll let others count the ways...:):):)

sTu

Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn't mind watching a few "leadership" dunks this year. :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Surely KML, Surely Mo.
A natural role for Morgan but only if she is contributing on the court.

I remember in the '13 semi-final, when Stef took a stupid foul, closelining the Notre Dame player.
Kaleena took charge, pointing to her head as if to say: hey stupid, use your brain.
She's a natural leader.

Stewie I think less and here's why.
As good (great) as she is, there's a long way to go.
She's just scratched the surface of her potential.
And I think the concentration on improving her game and achieving additional levels,
will preclude major leadership, but obviously pay dividends in other areas.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A team does not need just one clear leader, but if I had to pick her it would be KML. Last season she had every reason to fold it up and she did not. Quite the contrary, she excelled in the NCAAs by demonstrating a newly complete game, pushing herself into a new realm of versatility and grit. She's smart and to the point. She must have the respect of all on the Husky team. If she wants it, it is there for the taking.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kaleena will be a senior. Team Captain. All-American. She will seek (and get) the ball at crunch time. And she will be an exemplary role model for the underclass(wo)men. (Kiah, too.)

Reaction Score
Call me Doris Burke, but Stewie's "comportment", both on and off the court is a very pure form of leadership. I believe KML will be rightfully be the team leader, but others, most especially Breanna, have outstanding leadership qualities. That's why they are what they are.....:)

Reaction Score
Leadership is in great hands with KML, Breanna and Big Mo...the rest of the world should be so lucky...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
You know, really, playes like these don't need a "leader". They all know their roles, they all know what they can do and what their teammates can do, they will do what the situation calls for. There is not a ballhog, showboat, volume shooter or slacker on the roster. They will undoubtedly help each other out with suggestions, but there will be absolutely no reason for anyone to get in anyone else's face, or anything like it. When the frosh are in the game, every veteran player will be helping them out. Leadership by committee.

Reaction Score

While I agree that KML and Moriah will emerge as leaders of this team, I think that Stewie will share equally in this role by virtue of who she is and how she plays. One does not always have to be the most vocal person in the locker room. Leadership can take many forms and knows no particular style. Breanna will lead by her example- how she dives for loose balls, sprints the length of the court to block a shot, how she never stops moving, by her efforts in practice and by her willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

When you reach the level of success and accomplishment that she has and throw in her hunger for more along with a natural humility, you can't help but be a leader.

Reaction Score
As a senior All-America, I believe the team will look to Kaleena, with Moriah coming on strong. Stewie will lead by example. Now she is so laid back, but will get better as time goes by.

Perhaps not this year, but in the coming years I look for Morgan Tuck to come to the forefront. She works her tail off, and all the ladies love her to death. Her teammates know that Morgan will be their for them if times are good, or bad, on and off the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom