Leadership | The Boneyard

Leadership

Reaction Score
Successful teams have point guards with good leadership skills. More successful teams also have senior leaders as key contributors. Yes, these are skills than can be acquired as kids mature. Some get them early in life, the ‘born leaders’, others grow into them while the majority of us never become leaders. That’s ok, we can’t all be leaders like we all can’t hit 20 foot jumpers even with a chair guarding us.

Last season we wrung our hands over the need for Jalen Adams to mature into a leader. Never happened to our detriment but that’s who he was and that’s just life and we still dearly miss his nightly contributions. This season we have no players who have demonstrated leadership as it translates into running a team. We neither have an upper classman that can lead elsewhere. Christian Vital comes the closest and he can wildly impact the chemistry with his 3 bombs and great defensive strikes but it dissolves when he adds ball handling and decision making miscues to the mix.

Coaches work to get extensions of themselves on the floor. Alterique is clearly the focus here. What’s missing? He has the skills and strut but not yet the bonded blind love of the team mass. Somehow, as opposed to Jalen, it does seem there for him, lurking in the shadows of injuries and games lost passed. It is up to the coaching staff and Hurley in particular to develop this exceptional kid into what he can become.

Reaction Score
We cannot have an emotional leader. Need someone that is headstrong and positive with the willingness to win and make smart decisions.

Seniors need to take a long hard look in the mirror this season.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Oh for a Shabazz clone. I remember him physically pushing Boat during the game to get Boat to run the play Bazz wanted. And, Kemba has the personality and swagger that made everyone believe whatever he thought was right. The guy who can teach/impart point guard leadership is on the bench right now, Taliek!

Reaction Score
Leaders deal in hope and inspire others. When inspired followers symbolically coronate their leader through their allegiance. Not being around this group day to day it is hard to say who is the closest to being that leader. That said, delivering at crucial moments in games is a big part. Right now, Hurley is the only leader of this pack and he is not in the game but he can control points in the game when the wheels start to fall off. Gilbert is not well positioned to lead because of his previous injuries. Vital is the closest but he lacks self discipline. Bouknight may get there. I would try Brendan Adams at the point. Not a prototypical PG but he seems to have some self discipline. Yes I think we are at that point with the point position.

Reaction Score
I know Gilbert has played bad to start the season, and some of his mistakes have been very frustrating. I believe in him though. He deserves to have a good season and I think he will. Hurley loves him and considers him a leader.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Leadership starts at the top - above the players pay grade

Reaction Score
Oh for a Shabazz clone. I remember him physically pushing Boat during the game to get Boat to run the play Bazz wanted. And, Kemba has the personality and swagger that made everyone believe whatever he thought was right. The guy who can teach/impart point guard leadership is on the bench right now, Taliek!
If you remember Shabazz admitted he was not a good leader after Kemba left but he said Kemba taught him how to be a leader and he just needed to work on it more. It finally clicked for him.

Who was the last good leader we had? It's been a while so there's been nobody to teach the younger players to grow into leaders. Khalid types, who are ready to lead from day one, don't come around very often.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Leadership starts at the top - above the players pay grade

Positive leadership on the court is critical to a successful team. It's hard to explain how a teammate fighting through to do the right thing at the right time motivates the response within one to follow in that path. Technically the coach directs, but it is different to have a warrior with you say, "let's go".

Reaction Score
If only leading meant playing ball like you are stoned... we'd have a few of them

Reaction Score
microfich said:
Coaches work to get extensions of themselves on the floor. Alterique is clearly the focus here. What’s missing? He has the skills and strut but not yet the bonded blind love of the team mass. Somehow, as opposed to Jalen, it does seem there for him, lurking in the shadows of injuries and games lost passed. It is up to the coaching staff and Hurley in particular to develop this exceptional kid into what he can become.

Just sayin’.

Courant article today

“...More to the point the Huskies will be looking for Alterique to provide the bounce. “He’s got to provide more offense,” Coach Dan Hurley said after practice Friday. “He’s got to be a charismatic leader. I’ve got to do a better job of reminding him of that.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom