Layups redux | The Boneyard

Layups redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In January 2, 2012, our beloved Kibitzer started an amusing thread discussing (among other things) finding new expressions to best describe the frustration of missing easy layups. Much mirth ensued.

Surely I recall Geno weighing in on this subject earlier yet; moaning about the poor percentage of success in the woman game for such easy and routinized shot.

Well, I've had a revelation on the subject.

I just turned 76, shoot hoops 4 or 5 times a week, usually in a local playground until it get too cold, then in a splendid NYC Parks Dept athletic facility in Chelsea or in the St Johnsbury Academy field house.

And with our travels and sometimes hectic schedules, sometimes a week, even 2 go by without my hoisting up a half-hours worth.

And what has happened in the last year: the layup was the first to go...the 15-footer ala Carl Braun (shot off the left foot with the right extended) remains remarkably consistent, The one-handed set (push if you like...certainly not a jumper) a la Bill Sharman barely misses a beat .

But...all of a sudden, the coordination required to shoot a layup goes awry...

It's really a somewhat complicated physical sequence based on a left-right-left-hop sequence, which has to be as ingrained as eating warm pizza, followed by a total body lifting motion at the same time as the ball being brought up to shoulder height and the gently flicked towards s pre-determined spot on the backboard and through the hoop).

in my onset of geriatric physicality, I find myself often shooting the ball with much too much velocity and observe it going sailing far off the backboard and then on the next try overcompensating and hitting the underside of the rim.

I understand that my experience is anecdotal and proves something except that I am and have always been a mediocre athlete but the startling difficulties that i have found amy actually go some way to a hypothesis that the layup is not the easy, breezy, shouldn't ever miss kind of activity.

Where is Olde Coach when we need him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin