Lawlor Is Williams' Family Home Gym | The Boneyard

Lawlor Is Williams' Family Home Gym

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"But having their daughter play in their home gym is more than Matt and Therese could have imagined."

“But to have it at Lawlor? It’s exciting, it’s fun for the community,” Matt Williams said. “They get to see basketball at a different level. And us as family members, how much more excited could you be? UConn, in our backyard. It’s just exciting to see the community because they’ve been so behind Gabby, to exactly embrace it.”

For Gabby a somewhat different emotion: “It’s definitely going to feel surreal,” Gabby Williams said. “Every time I go home, I go to that gym. I have friends on the other team who I played AAU with and in high school, that are on the Nevada team. It’s just going to be really weird.”

"Matt, who describes himself as a West Coast guy, favored Stanford because of its location.

“But when Geno [Auriemma] called, it was a no-brainer for her,” Matt said. “Now, it’s home. She’s not going to get this experience and be part of something like this anywhere else. It’s bigger than the individual and that’s what you want to be part of it. She’s part of something that will be there forever.”

Said Therese: “The program is like no other. It’s been an amazing experience for her.”

Quite the recruiting piece as it turns out: “He’s changed my life,” Matt said. “Everything you think about UConn? It is true. The professionalism, from the way they go out and salute the flag, to warmups, to the game. Everything they do is top-notch, including raising my daughter. Which they’ve done.”

“Coach cares about his players,” she said. “If you could say one thing about him it’s that he genuinely cares for his players more than just on the basketball court. … This is really special.”

"And her father, the coach, understands the sacrifice.

“This is taxing on the team,” Matt said. “They’re about winning a national championship, not making sure parents are happy. He didn’t have to do this.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is nothing more rewarding then watching your children grow up and be successful. Clearly the Williams are as proud as they can be with their daughter's tremendous growth as a basketball player, leader and all-around wonderful human being.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Glad you straightened that up -- I was wondering if Gabby worked out at Tierney's house. Thought it especially weird that her whole family did. ;)
Well, it is a family atmosphere! :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Glad you straightened that up -- I was wondering if Gabby worked out at Tierney's house. Thought it especially weird that her whole family did. ;)

Tooooo funny! :D

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I wish the UConn bashers who view Geno and UConn as a "winning is the only thing" program would read those quotes from Gabby's family......

Not to mention parents of prospective recruits.

"So Therese and Matt, why don`t you sit over here next to the Bueckers, the Bostons, and the Brunelles? Why what a coincidence, their daughters play basketball too!"

Reaction Score
As for all the young ladies that have come through the UCONN program, The support, love, molding, that Gabby Williams has exhibited in her 3+ years at UCONN gets it's start at home! The coaching staff gets not only "winners" as people & players but they inherit "winners" with outstanding parenting skills!
As I left teaching in June, 2000 and coaching Wrestling in 2002, I saw a lack in the family structure! Too many children were on their own for long hours of each day. Raising children right in this insane world of 2017 takes 100% effort on the part of the whole family and until that comes back to the family structure we're going to have more children telling their parents "Do not go into my room!" And the parents never see the AK-47 and Bomb parts or drugs on the floor and cannot prevent the next insanity from taking place! A parent should be a parent and not a best friend!
It's nice to know our favorite WBB program stands for more than just wins & loses and takes each & every student to a higher level as people when they graduate!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom