LaVols and Holly: Local Dissatisfaction Growing (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LaVols and Holly: Local Dissatisfaction Growing (merged thread)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As far as Tennessee goes, we may forgive, but we will never forget.

I wish Holly no ill will. She's done a decent job following a legend. Most would have failed by this point. It is clear she does not have a grasp of any type of offense or defense. When Tennessee wins, its on talent. Talent is only going to get you so far.

I don't see Fulmer firing Holly. Her record doesn't justify it.

What I don't understand is why top talent keeps going there. Holly must be one fantastic sales person!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The anger at Warlick has been growing steadily among the fan base. On Volnation the poorly supported "fahr holly" threads from a couple of years ago are now almost universally accepted. Long time dyed in the wool (orange of course) fans are now calling for her immediate firing. It's almost impossible to find a post or fan supporting her.

As a UConn fan I am torn. On one hand I'm reveling in the UT fans' suffering but on the other it's hard to watch a one time elite program like UTenn's fall so far.
I was trying to remember the circumstances in the Little Abner comic strip in which people had fallen into a bottomless hole and it was a common Dogpatch practice to watch the people falling, even having a picnic and making a day of it. Any other senior citizen BYers that remember this?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why top talent keeps going there. Holly must be one fantastic sales person!

I've given this some thought, and I really think a major factor is the huge fan support combined with the (allegedly) great facilities that Tennessee offers. Players like the idea of playing for large crowds. It's unclear to me how much the program's winning tradition per se is a factor. The current freshman class would have been in 2nd grade when Tennessee last won a national title.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
For the good of the game!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
After Head coach Vince Lombardi left the Packers, Phil Bengston took over and was 20-21-1. This made him the most successful Packer Head Coach during for the first 25 post-Lombardy years. The fondly-remembered Matt Doherty years at UNC directly following the Dean Smith/Bill Guthridge era were disastrous. By comparison, Holly Warlick is the reincarnation of Pop Warner or John Wooden.

Reaction Score
A down year because there seems to be no dominant team ? Isn't that what people have been wanting? Parity is what has been missing according to some fans and those who are not fans. Remember, UConn was not good for basketball when it was dominating. Now, WCBB should be drawing big crowds throughout the country because many games should be close and interesting, imo.
Should be drawing big crowd but did you see the lack of fans in the stands for the Alabama Tennessee game, I doubt there were 1000 fans at that game. Parity without quality is not the answer, we need quality relevant competition between the top teams to really put the sport on the floor that fans will pay to see.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Side note--Tennessee men win 12 in a row for the first time since 1977, Tennessee women lose 4 in a row for the first time since 1970.

This upcoming week will likely be the first time ever that the UT men are ranked number 1 while the women are unranked.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lady Vols should and will beat Arkansas. What would happen to the fan base and media if the Lady Vols beat Notre Dame? They have the talent to do so. While I don't think it will happen, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I'm predicting a Notre Dame win, with the game much closer then the current state of the Lady Vol program is in.

Last edited:

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Lady Vols should and will beat Arkansas. What would happen to the fan base and media if the Lady Vols beat Notre Dame? They have the talent to do so. While I don't think it will happen, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I'm predicting a Notre Dame win, with the game much closer then the current state of the Lady Vol program is in.

I dont know..i think arky is better than the alabama team that just beat tennessee by 20..the thing is the tennessee players have pretty much given up on warlick..id be surprised of tennessee gets 5 sec wins at this point

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I've given this some thought, and I really think a major factor is the huge fan support combined with the (allegedly) great facilities that Tennessee offers. Players like the idea of playing for large crowds. It's unclear to me how much the program's winning tradition per se is a factor. The current freshman class would have been in 2nd grade when Tennessee last won a national title.

Very interesting take Plebe. Hadn't thought about that aspect but it makes sense. Good food for thought!

Reaction Score
Does she have to sit out a year if she chooses not to play at Tennessee ?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It was the LV FANS that collected the “information” for the NCAA complaint - from the Boneyard, no less! - and it was an LV fan, one who had her lips surgically attached to Pat Summit’s butt, that kept promulgating lies about Geno.

LOL. Perfect.

Reaction Score
to all who suggest Holly stay on based on her record... I agree.... if you are in a vacuum.... record alone... 75% if that is all you are looking at... yes she deserves an extension....

but if you peel back the onion....look at the next level of examination.... you have a coach who thinks basketball is made up only of Defense, rebounding, and hustle..... she admits to not focusing on the offense so much.... and her defense is far from the swarming defense Pat employed.... look at Jim Valvano and Nolan Richardson old films... that is defense.... Holly;s defense is much more pedestrian... though on rare occasion they have been pressing appropriately....

and then, analyze the games they have lost and WHO they are losing to.... Penn State... Virginia Tech... Chattanooga I believe... Ole Miss.... Georgia.... Alabama 5 times in a row.... Missouri...it was the refs who took that game... letting Sophie Cunningham walk on us..... Gonzaga and UAB (yes UAB) going to overtime.... going down 20 to Stetson.... before clawing back/... why isn't holly getting the team ready for play.....

I remember 2 or 3 years ago.... she said in a presser "I tell them to get down in a defensive stance but they do not want to"... First, why admit this HAH next why not command respect by laying down the law.... fine you do not want to get in defensive stance as I coach you to do.... you can sit and I will put in a walk on in the game... holly will never discipline..... and it has hurt her.... one of the programs major problems is that they never have had any respect for holly....

also from few years back.... I remember seeing Massengale on interview.... saying that team realized that they did not listen to holly the previous year and to be successful they were going to have to do that.... well that did not last long.... there is not respect given to the coaching staff.... Just my opinion but i think the recruits are drawn to Tennessee because of the history, fan base, and the knowledge they will not have to work hard.... "Camp Holly" I am sure there are some who will take issue with this opinion.... but i really think it is true....

and this week Notre Dame... they will show hustle and heart as they did not show for the 4 losses and that is sad..... there should be far better results.... with the talent they have.... they should not be relegated to the end of the bench in the future on some WNBA roster....

Reaction Score

Tennessee has talent but it is raw, fast, and undisciplined. They play hard and rebound the ball but they have a hard time putting the ball in the basket. I have never seen a team that miss so many layups and point blank shots because they get a lot of them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The thing is if Holly resigns or is fired I'd expect a mass exodus, not only from those who have committed for next year, but from those currently on the roster. However, i my opinion, expect a resignation before a firing. Everything depends on how those current young women react the rest of the way, if they up and quit, if they make the Dance, and/or if we get wind of some internecine squabbles between players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Often when there is a coaching change, some incoming recruits ask to be released from their LOI. It's up to the school's discretion if they grant that request or not. If a player is released, they can go elsewhere and be eligible immediately. If they are not released they can transfer, but would have to sit out a year (unless the NCAA approved a waiver for immediate eligibility). Usually a request to be released from a LOI is granted, because who needs a player hanging around for a year that doesn't want to be there?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Does she have to sit out a year if she chooses not to play at Tennessee ?

Tennessee would have to release her or shed have to get a release from the NCAA. Honestly anyone from the 2018 and 2019 classes had to consider that Holly could be on her way out.

I think most players would stay if Holly left and if they like her replacement. On the flip side, if she stays I'm guessing a couple of players leave after this year. Rennia Davis looked very checked out last game and Westbrook is too good to waste her talent at a school where she isnt going to improve.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Often when there is a coaching change, some incoming recruits ask to be released from their LOI. It's up to the school's discretion if they grant that request or not. If a player is released, they can go elsewhere and be eligible immediately. If they are not released they can transfer, but would have to sit out a year (unless the NCAA approved a waiver for immediate eligibility). Usually a request to be released from a LOI is granted, because who needs a player hanging around for a year that doesn't want to be there?

If Holly was to leave UTenn in a dramatic fashion, I would think a lot would rest on how AD Phillip Fulmer reacts, both for the incoming froshs' LOI's and the transfers. Many believe that the departed institution's input on the request for waiver carries a lot of weight from the NCAA.

One of the situations to look back to for context is the mass exodus that followed Connie Yow's "resignation" from Nebraska. Top recruits Kathleen Doyle and Mi'Cole Cayton were both released from their letters of intent, with Doyle enrolling at University of Iowa and Cayton at California.

Cornhusker guard Natalie Romeo requested a transfer, went to University of Washington and was granted immediate eligibility, where she was the back-court partner of Ms. Kelsey Plum. After playing under new Coach Amy Williams for one year, Jessica Shepard then transferred and was, as this board is well aware, was also granted immediate eligibility. In that case, an abrupt coaching change seemed to affect both the Nebraska athletic department and the NCAA.

Given Holly's constant stream of recruits into Lady Vol nation, this could be a really interesting situation to monitor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Tennessee would have to release her or shed have to get a release from the NCAA. Honestly anyone from the 2018 and 2019 classes had to consider that Holly could be on her way out.

I think most players would stay if Holly left and if they like her replacement. On the flip side, if she stays I'm guessing a couple of players leave after this year. Rennia Davis looked very checked out last game and Westbrook is too good to waste her talent at a school where she isnt going to improve.
I appreciate your objectivity. You are a dying breed in this country.

And I almost always think well of your posts, no matter the subject. Please continue your fine posts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom