Lauren Cox | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Figured a thread about her is appropriate after this weekend. If anybody has injury updates here, please post them....fingers crossed it's not a dreaded ACL.

That said, Cox really dominated the paint this weekend and was the best 2 way player in the Final Four. She's looked good when I've seen her play but she elevated her game to another level this weekend. Depending on team need, she could edge out Ionescu for #1 pick next year as her game is very unique for a big player. She's like Stef Dolson offensively mixed with Griner's shot blocking prowess. Her value was obvious as Baylor was clearly the better team when she was out there. She's a true game changer defensively and I think right now is a better player than Brown or McCowan. If she weren't injured and were eligible for 2020, she'd be my no-brainer #1 pick for Vegas with her style of play to complement Wilson inside.

Reaction Score
Baylor not a #1 team without Cox. Just watch 4th qtr of chmpshp gm. K.Brown not much of offensive & defensive presence. She is out of scoring &rebounding positions throughout 4th qtr!!! I’m relieved they won....anyone but ND

Reaction Score
Baylor not a #1 team without Cox. Just watch 4th qtr of chmpshp gm. K.Brown not much of offensive & defensive presence. She is out of scoring &rebounding positions throughout 4th qtr!!! I’m relieved they won....anyone but ND

Of course Baylor is not the same team without its best player off the court. Do you think UCONN would be at the exact same level if Collier was out the game? Arike if she was out for ND? Sabrina for Oregon? Baylor also couldn't play aggressive in the 4th quarter as they had Chloe, Richards, and Smith all playing with 4 fouls and ND was in the bonus over 7 minutes left to play.

Brown had like 4 bodies on her and opened things up for Chloe Jackson and Nalyssa Smith. Baylor is not the same team defensively with Cox out. They can score but their rebounding and shot blocking take a blow when Lauren isn't out there.

Cox is far more valuable than Brown. Hopefully it does not end up being an ACL injury. She had a great junior year and was looking forward to watching her next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cox joins A’ja as number one recruits who didn’t pick UConn but were still able to win a NCAA championship, only Russell 2013 and Chiney Ogwumike 2010 weren’t able to do so in recent years.

Reaction Score
Sadly, it looks like an ACL based on replay and the knee brace. If so, she won’t be back next year if she’s smart.
Even without the injury I don’t think she could edge ionescu for #1 pick, but it depends on the team.
It’ll be interesting to see how well she can do professionally. I’m not doubting her necessarily, but she doesn’t have the pure size of a true center or good speed as an elite forward (for example Wilson or Nneka.)

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
ACL is suspected but won’t know for sure for a day or two. Remember, Lauren is a Type 1 diabetic. Could take her even longer to heal.

Reaction Score
ACL is suspected but won’t know for sure for a day or two. Remember, Lauren is a Type 1 diabetic. Could take her even longer to heal.
Wonder if there is much literature on the effects of diabetes on rehab of various injuries. You post prompted me to do a very cursory PubMed search that didn't pop up anything obvious (but I reemphasize that it was cursory). However, I did see something else that suggests that even pre-injury, diabetes affects the biology of connective tissue. This article is about tendons (and I only looked at the abstract):

Rehabilitation of Tendon Problems in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. - PubMed - NCBI

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
The last thing I want to see is anyone hurt for the long term - that's why I wouldn't worry about if she gets picked #1 or #2.

Also...Baylor is good next year, but I think they'll be even better the year after. So if Cox's injury really keeps her sidelined for all of next year, there's still a lot left for a 2nd championship run (even if they won't be consecutive runs)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I remembered that Lauren Cox was a very good high-school volleyball player and it was obvious to me how that background helped her throughout both final four games. Her timing, correct angling of both her body and hands were excellent. She also has nice patience on her inside moves: she schooled ND's Mikayla Vaughn on an inside move where Vaughn thought she had her until she dropped her left shoulder, then Cox went right there. Well played.

A number of schools -- including UConn and ND -- were in avid pursuit of her services, but that never really seemed to be in the cards once she announced her commitment to Baylor.

That said, hope nothing but the best for her. Hope the injury isn't as bad as many fear. In any case, heal well and come back strong.

Reaction Score
Wonder if there is much literature on the effects of diabetes on rehab of various injuries. You post prompted me to do a very cursory PubMed search that didn't pop up anything obvious (but I reemphasize that it was cursory). However, I did see something else that suggests that even pre-injury, diabetes affects the biology of connective tissue. This article is about tendons (and I only looked at the abstract):

Rehabilitation of Tendon Problems in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. - PubMed - NCBI
I have been diabetic from the 80s and have had multiple surgeries since then and none required special attention due to the diabetes. The most important thing I was told was to maintain good glucose management during and rehab or illness for that matter. (Stories say that her management is excellent already.) If you read things online, they tend to over emphasize the "side effects, etc." IMO. But once she has a diagnosis and treatment options, then we should know a lot more.

Reaction Score
I have been diabetic from the 80s and have had multiple surgeries since then and none required special attention due to the diabetes. The most important thing I was told was to maintain good glucose management during and rehab or illness for that matter. (Stories say that her management is excellent already.) If you read things online, they tend to over emphasize the "side effects, etc." IMO. But once she has a diagnosis and treatment options, then we should know a lot more.
I suspect that her glucose management has benefitted from lots of technical advances between when you became diabetic and when she was born/diagnosed. I had a diabetic student in one of my small classes and I remember when she was excited about new phone apps to control her pump. I've also read a bit about the history of recombinant insulin and the protein engineering of the new versions. IIRC there was a story recently about the glucose monitor she wears during games.

All of this was a dream when I was growing up and kids were injecting insulin from pig or cow pancreas.

The advances in surgery that have shortened rehab from "never play again" to a few months also blow my mind. When our Jordan Jones tore up her ACL and meniscus in the last regular season game she was back in time to play 30 games the following year. Which means Cox might miss some games in the early preseason but she's likely to play next year.

Reaction Score
That’s great news that it’s an MCL I had an MCL sprain and just required therapy that’s fabulous news

Reaction Score
I remember when she committed to Baylor and it was quite the bummer as a UConn fan. Over the next few years I consoled myself by thinking "at the college level she's decent...but not spectacular." But like many posts she just took a bit longer to fully get up to speed.

By the time her senior year junior year rolled along I was back to being fully bummed that she had chosen Baylor, because she was the monster she had been anticipated to be. :p She was a terror in the game against UConn in the interior.

Glad to see that the injury isn't as severe as it looked. It looked really nasty.

(EDIT: I wrote 'senior year,' but that isn't right, is it. She's actually a junior. LOL, for some reason I thought she had been around forever)

Last edited:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
But isn't this what Batouly Camara suffered? Is this really just a few weeks, then back on her feet? Or is it tougher?

The recovery could be months (up to 4-5), depending on her body and extent of injury.

Reaction Score
This is great news considering how badly the injury looked when it occurred. As somebody else said: Legs were never meant to bend that way!

Reaction Score
Wonderful news! She is one lucky lady, I saw the way her knee buckled and thought ACL tear for sure. It is nice to be wrong sometimes :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom