LATEST TOP 16 REVEAL | The Boneyard

LATEST TOP 16 REVEAL

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I find the stress about seeding a bit funny. The most important issue is of course being in the top 16, then regional assignment for how far you will travel, and then the other top three in the region. Typically you have to beat two of those three to get to the FF and beat two of the other top 1 or 2 seeds at the FF.

Being seeded as a 2 or a 3 is really a pretty meaningless distinction, as the competition from 15 or 14 seeds and 7 or 6 seeds shouldn't really present much challenge to a team ready for a FF. A four seed is a little harder because you face a much better team a round earlier when you face the #1 seed in your region but ... you're still going to face a very good team by the E8 anyway.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I find the stress about seeding a bit funny. The most important issue is of course being in the top 16, then regional assignment for how far you will travel, and then the other top three in the region. Typically you have to beat two of those three to get to the FF and beat two of the other top 1 or 2 seeds at the FF.

Being seeded as a 2 or a 3 is really a pretty meaningless distinction, as the competition from 15 or 14 seeds and 7 or 6 seeds shouldn't really present much challenge to a team ready for a FF. A four seed is a little harder because you face a much better team a round earlier when you face the #1 seed in your region but ... you're still going to face a very good team by the E8 anyway.
In a normal year I would agree with you-not so much this year precisely because this team is and has been way to mercurial to be considered "ready" for a run at the FF.
UCONN is currently ranked 11, one more slip and UCONN could easily find itself outside the top 16 which could mean that they are suddenly playing a team in the first or second round on their home court.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Michigan lost tonight to Michigan State. This could impact the #2 & #3 seedings in the next reveal (if there is one).

There is one more reveal: Monday, Feb. 28 on ESPN2 during halftime of Baylor-Iowa State game:

NCAA schedule of reveals

The official 68-team bracket will be announced at 8 p.m. on Sunday, March 13 on ESPN.

Reaction Score
In a normal year I would agree with you-not so much this year precisely because this team is and has been way to mercurial to be considered "ready" for a run at the FF.
UCONN is currently ranked 11, one more slip and UCONN could easily find itself outside the top 16 which could mean that they are suddenly playing a team in the first or second round on their home court.
Right now I'd say that a 3 seed is generous except I look around the P5 and don't see much consistent basketball being played by the alternatives. The committee moved Mich up from 9 to 5 and they got beat by a Vill. level team tonight.
Except that if UConn's injured finally get to play and look like I expect the committee has a provision that allows consideration for seeding purposes for teams that had players missing portions of seasons. But for the committee to utilize it Bueckers has to return and the team has to improve. I'll bet she does and they do. The committee can do whatever they want but I'd guess UConn will be in Bridgeport. Bridgeport has been a financial success as an NCAA site and money talks. You don't screw the arena if you don't have to.

Reaction Score
I just came back from seeing NC State live against BC. It was a really good game (NC State won in OT). BC may be a tournament team. My main takeaway from NC State is not really any different from what people observe on tv. They are a very good team with a ton of talent. Cunane sort of fades in and out of games, and really isn't as consistent of a presence as she's been in past seasons. Diamond Johnson and Raina Perez are really good, but they also can take ill advise shots and have costly turnovers. In any event, I think UConn could probably beat them, but they would be a tough out because you really have to be able to defend all 5 players. I think I'd be more afraid of a team like Baylor, who has a dominant all-american, and then a strong supporting cast.

I agree 2 vs 3 is not too big of a difference. I think it would hurt to be a 4 seed and it would be tough to not play in CT. I think if we don't improve, we could definitely wind up a 4 seed playing in Spokane.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I just came back from seeing NC State live against BC. It was a really good game (NC State won in OT). BC may be a tournament team. My main takeaway from NC State is not really any different from what people observe on tv. They are a very good team with a ton of talent. Cunane sort of fades in and out of games, and really isn't as consistent of a presence as she's been in past seasons. Diamond Johnson and Raina Perez are really good, but they also can take ill advise shots and have costly turnovers. In any event, I think UConn could probably beat them, but they would be a tough out because you really have to be able to defend all 5 players. I think I'd be more afraid of a team like Baylor, who has a dominant all-american, and then a strong supporting cast.

I agree 2 vs 3 is not too big of a difference. I think it would hurt to be a 4 seed and it would be tough to not play in CT. I think if we don't improve, we could definitely wind up a 4 seed playing in Spokane.
I agree about Cunane. She often plays rushed, and can be dominated by a more physical, or stronger, player. Considering this is her 4th year in college, and it pains me to say this, but she has been a bit of a disappointment this year, performance-wise.

That being said, she is an outstanding young woman who does give 100% effort and is a great representative of North Carolina State University and I'm glad she plays for the Wolfpack. Having parents who were both NC State graduates had a lot of weight in her decision as to where she was going to play; she grew up an NC State fan.

And going a step further...the fact that Cunane hasn't quite lived up to the pre-season expectations and that NC State is 22-3, all losses coming to ranked teams by a total of 14 points, is a testament to the depth of this year's Wolfpack Women team. We have lots of weapons that can hurt opposing teams on any given night; we are not a one-trick pony with just Cunane to worry about.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree about Cunane. She often plays rushed, and can be dominated by a more physical, or stronger, player. Considering this is her 4th year in college, and it pains me to say this, but she has been a bit of a disappointment this year, performance-wise.

That being said, she is an outstanding young woman who does give 100% effort and is a great representative of North Carolina State University and I'm glad she plays for the Wolfpack. Having parents who were both NC State graduates had a lot of weight in her decision as to where she was going to play; she grew up an NC State fan.

And going a step further...the fact that Cunane hasn't quite lived up to the pre-season expectations and that NC State is 22-3, all losses coming to ranked teams by a total of 14 points, is a testament to the depth of this year's Wolfpack Women team. We have lots of weapons that can hurt opposing teams on any given night; we are not a one-trick pony with just Cunane to worry about.

I like Clutchfield. ;)

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I like Clutchfield. ;)
Oh my goodness...can't say enough about Kai. When she gets her feet set, her perimeter shots are nearly automatic; she has a sweet stroke. But she does go through stretches (and some games) where she disappears from the scoring column. However, she is an outstanding defender and helps the team in other ways when not scoring.

Same can be said about Kayla Jones. Yes, we will miss Perez, Kai and Cunane next season (if Elissa opts to not use her COVID year)...but Kayla Jones is the one who will be missed the most. She does EVERYTHING for NC State.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Agreed. If you're the #2 you're gonna play the #3, and if you're the #3 you're gonna play the #2, either way before playing the #1. You just get different uniforms.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I thought it was funny that they talked about alot of the teams, but they didn't mention UConn at all. I wonder if they purposely ignored us because they didn't know what to say, or maybe the execs at ESPN have read all the comments about "UConn Bias" and wanted to avoid any more controversy regarding that subject.

Reaction Score
Agreed. If you're the #2 you're gonna play the #3, and if you're the #3 you're gonna play the #2, either way before playing the #1. You just get different uniforms.

you're looking way too ahead, first worry about the 6 seed instead of the 7 seed if you are a 3.

Reaction Score
Oh my goodness...can't say enough about Kai. When she gets her feet set, her perimeter shots are nearly automatic; she has a sweet stroke. But she does go through stretches (and some games) where she disappears from the scoring column. However, she is an outstanding defender and helps the team in other ways when not scoring.

Same can be said about Kayla Jones. Yes, we will miss Perez, Kai and Cunane next season (if Elissa opts to not use her COVID year)...but Kayla Jones is the one who will be missed the most. She does EVERYTHING for NC State.

Thanks for the post. I actually really like Cunane. She does seem like a great young woman and she's still really good.I remember watching her this summer for team USA and thinking she's definitely a pro, kinda reminded me of Emma Messeman with her versatility. I think her season kind of reminds me of Aaliyah Boston's start. Boston was not that dominant probably the first 5 games. SC has loads of talent, they got Cardoso, so it seemed like she was adjusting as well as the coaches. But eventually I think SC was like we got arguably the best player in the country and rightfully decided to play through her more consistently. I was hoping NC State did the same.

I really like the whole team. Love Perez and when they play the three guard lineup. Like I have no connection to them but if they are on I'm watching.

Reaction Score
I thought it was funny that they talked about alot of the teams, but they didn't mention UConn at all. I wonder if they purposely ignored us because they didn't know what to say, or maybe the execs at ESPN have read all the comments about "UConn Bias" and wanted to avoid any more controversy regarding that subject.
Or maybe they decided not to kick a wounded dog that might get healthy again?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure they made some mention of how UConn was put in the Bridgeport region.

In any event, there doesn't appear to be an executive directive to ignore UConn, in view of the headline of Voepel's article about the reveal (pretty remarkable that a 3 seed is the headliner):

sun

Reaction Score
If the latest matches hold up, then the NCAA seeding process sure puts UConn in a relatively favorable position.
Since it's a year of upsets, we just need to avoid being the victim of any more of those.

REGIONAL ASSIGNMENTS

Bridgeport Region:

1. NC State
2. Michigan
3. UConn
4. Texas

Greensboro Region:
1. South Carolina
2. Indiana
3. Baylor
4. Oregon

Spokane Region:
1. Stanford
2. Iowa State
3. Tennessee
4. Notre Dame

Wichita Region:
1. Louisville
2. Arizona
3. Oklahoma
4. LSU

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
you're looking way too ahead, first worry about the 6 seed instead of the 7 seed if you are a 3.
If we're worrying about the 6 and 7 seeds, we in trouble.

Reaction Score
In tonight's NCAA top-16 reveal, UCONN is No. 11 overall and the 3-seed in the Bridgeport Regional.
Others in Bridgeport: 1. North Carolina State; 2. Michigan; 4. Texas.
I would take this seeding in a heartbeat!
Agree 1000% !!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom