last time we lost a top recruit to Squid at the very end

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by willie99, Jan 7, 2017.

1. willie99

willie99

we went on to spank UK in the FF (as usual) and win the NC

we lost Knight AND we landed "the wrong Lamb", yet we wouldn't change a thing now would we?

Squid needs a talent advantage to succeed, and he still falls short far more often than not

We're more about blue collar than blue chips anyhow. I love our roster, I can't wait for 2017/2018. Hopefully we get a chance to send Squid and UK home, yet again, it's tradition

2. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

We need to rehire Archibald and Sellers as recruiters. Those guys are miles ahead of the guys we have recruiting now.

3. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

Your hot take because we missed on one player is foolish and makes you look dull. Calhoun only pulled in 3 guys ranked higher than Diallo across 30 years, and because Ollie lost out to Calipari once you want to overhaul the whole staff? You don't get it.

4. HuskyFich

HuskyFich

Wenyen Gabriel?

auror and Paesano like this.
  5. CardiacAndre7

CardiacAndre7

We need to stop have fringe-tourny/NIT/most likely not in the tournament seasons first off. Kids don't want to come to a team that isn't successful, it's just common sense. Sure we need better recruiters because KO can't be everywhere, but we need to start winning.

JMick likes this.
  6. willie99

willie99

our recruiting classes this year and next are as good as we get, I like them both

the one excuse I will give to Ollie is this, since 2014 we've turned over our roster every year, in large part because of graduate transfers

I thought this year was going to be special, but injuries have derailed that. There's no reason we're not back in the mix next year

7. upstater

upstater

LOL, I'm thinking you're being funny, right? Because they were crucified for that Shabazz, Wolf, Giffey, Bradley, Lamb, Olander class.

8. I Bleed Blue

I Bleed Blue

Gabriel and Briscoe

tzznandrew and Paesano like this.
  9. gtcam

gtcam

Some people don't think straight when panic sets in - c'mon Stair you know these guys

fleudslipcon likes this.
  10. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

The key is the miles comment.....

upstater likes this.
  11. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

Not a fan of briscoe

uconnbill likes this.
  12. jibsey

jibsey

Seriously, as good as they get? As good as Kentucky, Duke, NC, and Kansas? Do we have a 5 star coming? There is a reason we might not be back in the mix, what about shooting, especially 3 point shooting? Our 5 is Enoch? Sure we are bound to be better but a real power? We still have major recruiting needs.

Milesbran30 and donyell34 like this.
  13. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

Alex Poythreus.

14. superjohn

superjohn

Not exactly feeling it with the current class. Polley and Carlton look to have good potential but MAL is the only legit "big" recruit. We all had much higher hopes for this class. Oh well, need to still fill this class out and aim our sights on the '18 guys.

James likes this.
  15. superjohn

superjohn

He said, as good as "we" get. Last year's was, this year not even close.

tzznandrew likes this.
  16. willie99

willie99

as good as our classes ever get

17. Matrim55

Matrim55

That's hyperbolic. It's a very good two-year haul of new blood entering the program, but on paper it's not quite up there with 2008+2009, or even 2009+2010.

tzznandrew likes this.
  18. willie99

willie99

This year's class was 14th, and that doesn't include Larrier who transferred in.

Next year we have a 4 star coming in, and I think Carlton may be a steal too

These are the type of kids we've won with historically. Solid players who develop.

We almost never land burger boys, we get very few five stars, we never have the best class in the country. Yet we have the most titles since 1999.

I like our roster for next year

RabidHusky, uconnfan68, UCbcm and 6 others like this.
  19. RichZ

RichZ Methuselah's older brother

Don't you read what the guy said instead of misquoting him.

"our recruiting classes this year and next are as good as we get, I like them both"

Big difference in meaning there.

20. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

I thought we backed away from Briscoe. Maybe that was because of strong UK interest, idk.

21. HuskyFich

HuskyFich

No big deal, but I think we were the 9th recruiting class

22. pnow15

pnow15 Previously pnete

I want to overhaul the recruiting staff because we have guards who can't shoot or dribble. Big men who can't hit layups or rebound.
    And most have no BB instincts. Not to mention the three with chronic injuries.
    The scary thought thought is that this new recruiting class will be just another version of Facey, Jackson and Purvis.

23. UConn990411

UConn990411

Some of you are misremembering recruiting under Calhoun. While UConn never consistently landed 5 stars or McDonald's All-Americans, it was common to have multiple 4 stars in a class, along with some 3-star, diamond-in-the-rough recruits sprinkled in.

The classes the past few years have been extremely top-heavy, which, not coincidentally, has made the lineups extremely top-heavy. Next year should be the most complete lineup in awhile (between talent, experience, and continuity), but I'm going to wait to see how it all comes together before having any lofty expectations.

24. King Husky

King Husky

I just came across this video of Ray Allen talking about why he chose UConn over Kentucky. After all these years, nothing seems to have changed...

uconnfan68, RayRay19 and uconnbill like this.
  25. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon We are still UConn!!

I think last year's class was 9th and it was higher until Durham suffered the ACL injury and didn't play most of the season.

This years class was trending higher until KO pulled the Zach Brown scholarship. That loss was far more impactful than Diallo.

The first year's recruiting was impacted severely by the APR sanctions and the sudden retirement of JC. This resulted in KO needing to recruit bigs who were new to the game. The second year the APR sanctions were still causing problems, necessitating KO to rely on the grad transfer route.

26. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

I agree with you; I'm hopeful, but while the program was never a powerhouse in recruiting (Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC), it had been in that second tier. Next years' class may turn out to be awesome, but it isn't "as good as we've ever done" even taken in the most generous sense.

Just an example, from the wake of our 2004 team through the Final Four team of 2009. I'm going to list Top 100 or players we assumed would be high impact from a composite site.

Class of 2004
    5 Rudy
    26 Price
    plus Ed Nelson, who had just been the ACC Freshman of the Year.

Class of 2005
    6 Andrew Bynum (whomp whomp)
    43 Jeff Adrien
    57 Marcus Johnson

Class of 2006
    17 Robinson
    27 Kelly
    42 Dyson
    70 Wiggins

Class of 2008
    12 Walker
    17 Majok
    (Nate Miles: 4 star)

Class of 2009
    19 Oriakhi
    40 McDaniels
    77 Darius Smith

fleudslipcon likes this.
  27. upstater

upstater

The 2003-2004-2005 classes had a lot of people chattering about UConn's recruiting the same way people are chattering about Calipari now.

It's bad enough they grabbed Villanueva late, with Okafor and Ben Gordon already lighting things up, but after the Rudy Gay-Maryland tiff, and snagging Denham Brown/Rashad Anderson, AJ Price, the coup de grace was the Ed Nelson transfer. People freaked when he came to UConn--he was ACC Rookie of the Year. Then of course it was topped off when UConn beat UNC for Bynum.

There was a lot of grousing about all the talent being assembled, and people went after Calhoun in the press much harder than they ever went after Calipari, especially that knob Tony Kornheiser.

28. David 76

David 76 Forty years a fan

Did you compare this year ,2016, with those? Rudy was a great get, but other than that, I don't see the superiority.
    Bynum and Edwards don't count (unless Larrier and Purvis do)

29. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

34 Gilbert
    50 Durham
    77 Jackson
    (33 Larrier [2014 ranking])

Sure, this one is in the ballpark once you add in Larrier, and better than some of those classes. But the upcoming one isn't:

33 Ashton-Langford

Now, we have time still to round this class out, but it isn't "as good as we get" by any means.

Let's be clear here: I'm not in the "our recruiting sucks" camp. But I am in the "facts matter" one, and having one committed Top 100 recruit when we had 5 scholarships available--and still have 2--isn't a good look. Perhaps we were too convinced we had Diallo, perhaps Zach Brown's verbal chased away some bigs. Perhaps we'll get Bamba or someone else we have an offer out on. But as of this point the statement that led to this back and forth is clearly incorrect, and while our roster next year should still be quite good, we still need an infusion of talent.

Matrim55 and intlzncster like this.
  30. Matrim55

Matrim55

This is a good discussion, and I thank you for taking the time to compile the research and for sure you proved "as good as we get" was overshooting it a little bit -- Calhoun put together 5 huge recruiting classes in 6 years, and on paper I think 05 & 06 back-to-back is probably our best group even without Bynum. If we'd gotten Diallo then we could plausibly make the argument, but without that one top 10 player, it does fall a little bit short.

That said, I was talking about recruiting in two-year blocks, because that's how college coaches have to think. For example now that we've missed on Diallo, even us amateurs are talking about how it'd be better to get a postgrad or JuCo SG instead of reaching for a 2017 commit down the rankings, or trying to flip an already committed player, because A) we need someone who can help next year, and B) we have the inside track on a 2018 SG (Reeves) who has a high upside.

And regardless I still stand by my assertion that for a two-year haul, this is damn near the top for us even before we fill those last two scholarships.

I'm not super concerned about the bolded part. We took it on the chin with Brown being a criminal and we shot for the moon with Diallo & Bamba and (likely) missed on both, but that's kind of what you're supposed to do when you already have six four-star players coming into the program in a two-year span. Getting guys like that allowed us to miss on the higher rated guys without it absolutely devastating the program, and the truth is we'll swing-and-miss more often than we make solid contact going forward.

But as long as guys like Gilbert & Durham stay healthy, and Jackson & Carleton develop, we're going to be better than ok. Ollie is thinking like a GM now -- a roster-builder -- and not just like a coach.

intlzncster and tzznandrew like this.