Last play against Cincy | The Boneyard

Last play against Cincy

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm late to the party on this one but I have to comment on the last play in OT. There are 7.8 seconds when Vital rebounds the miss. UConn is down 2. At the time of CV's offensive foul UConn has exactly zero players inside the 3 pt. line. Does the last play have to be hero ball. The team must run late game scenarios. Watch the end again and tell me if there is a semblance of a play. Also, how come we have 4 rebounders on the free throw attempt when they have none. Can't we put one guy at midcourt. It's like there is an unwritten rule that you can't pass in last play situations. Why can't JC rim run instead of screening 28 feet from the bucket? Why can't we back pick away from the ball?

Reaction Score
It was a big screw up. CV obviously wanted a pull up 3 to win the game. I agree with going for a 3 there as uconn was in such bad foul trouble and the way the game was being called, they wouldn't have had a chance in a second overtime.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
I agree the situation called for 3 because of the fouls and being on the road. It still is a 2 point game so Cincy would have to cover someone near the hoop. Let Polley be the screener and get JC down low.

Reaction Score
No joke, before cincy put up the last foul shot, CV initiated a switch with our front court player (cant remember who)...putting him on the block to rebound a possible miss and push it up court. I'm pretty sure at that moment he had it in his mind that if he got the rebound he had to take it the length and make a play.

I love how he has taken a more active role in leading the team huddles and getting the younger guys where they need to be, I really do. But there's a difference in being a leader that he hasn't adopted...you need to know what you are good at and what you are not. Spot up/in rhythm 3 point shooter, yes. Ball handling/creating space, no. Recognize your strengths and weakness', make the right play.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
No joke, before cincy put up the last foul shot, CV initiated a switch with our front court player (cant remember who)...putting him on the block to rebound a possible miss and push it up court. I'm pretty sure at that moment he had it in his mind that if he got the rebound he had to take it the length and make a play.

I love how he has taken a more active role in leading the team huddles and getting the younger guys where they need to be, I really do. But there's a difference in being a leader that he hasn't adopted...you need to know what you are good at and what you are not. Spot up/in rhythm 3 point shooter, yes. Ball handling/creating space, no. Recognize your strengths and weakness', make the right play.

Well the last time a guard forced himself the last shot against Cincinnati he made a full court shot... in turn becoming a UConn "Star", even if thats not actually the case. Maybe he was thinking he could make that leap as well???

Reaction Score
I'm late to the party on this one but I have to comment on the last play in OT. There are 7.8 seconds when Vital rebounds the miss. UConn is down 2. At the time of CV's offensive foul UConn has exactly zero players inside the 3 pt. line. Does the last play have to be hero ball. The team must run late game scenarios. Watch the end again and tell me if there is a semblance of a play. Also, how come we have 4 rebounders on the free throw attempt when they have none. Can't we put one guy at midcourt. It's like there is an unwritten rule that you can't pass in last play situations. Why can't JC rim run instead of screening 28 feet from the bucket? Why can't we back pick away from the ball?
Vital wasn't giving it up no matter what and he totally freaked out. Love the kid's heart but that was the personification of bad Christian.

Reaction Score
CV should have kept the ball in the center of the court. There he has options, a three, go all the way to hoop, or (gasp) pass to an open teammate.

Instead, he ran himself up the the sideline and into trouble, lost his handle, panicked, fouled.

Reaction Score
Didn't mind at all going for 3 in that situation -- frankly, it's what I would have done at the end of regulation.

The problem was that the ball needed to be in Gilbert's hands, whether he was going to shoot it himself or drive and kick out to Vital or someone else.

Reaction Score
Even with a drawn up play players have to have BBIQ, and in a time crunch situation it's even more important. Our only guard with potential for that is Gilbert IMO. In the future he will be able to ad lib. It's a process. Hoping our guard recruits next year have that but who knows at this point.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
If you watch the play none of the 5 guys has any idea what their doing. JC went to set a screen because he is robotically programmed to do so. CV beat TS and AG up the court so they were in a position to shoot 30 footers. You'd think they would practice some game enders . It's not just UConn. Most teams can't run a play without a time out first. It won't matter in a year or two when the mens game goes to quarters. I'm tilting at windmills now. I will cease and desist.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember Kevin Freeman getting the ball in a similar spot and he got the ball to the right player for the win. CV, like Denham Brown had no intention of giving up the ball.

Reaction Score
As odd as it might sound, considering the last two years I am just happy UConn was even in that position to begin with....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
cv was fouled by a reach in before his push-off foul
he should never have dribbled towards the sideline
think he was trying to get to his sweet spot

Reaction Score
As I said I’m earlier posts, how does Gilbert not touch that ball on last play ??? How does hurley not implore anyone who gets the foul shot miss, to put it right in AGs hands? Either Hurley never said that in huddle - which I find hard to believe or vital just defied what he was told.

Reaction Score
It was no one's fault. Cinci has very talented players. They are excellent shooters. They rarely foul. They are good college boys. The officials called the game in a very fair manner for Cinci. UConn did not stand a chance in overtime. I had hoped they would have set up a "three" for the last shot in regulation.

Reaction Score
If you watch the play none of the 5 guys has any idea what their doing. JC went to set a screen because he is robotically programmed to do so. CV beat TS and AG up the court so they were in a position to shoot 30 footers. You'd think they would practice some game enders . It's not just UConn. Most teams can't run a play without a time out first. It won't matter in a year or two when the mens game goes to quarters. I'm tilting at windmills now. I will cease and desist.

Why will quarters change end of game situations?

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, to me the “last play” was the non call on the Gilbert layup at the end of regulation - should have been an “and 1”, especially since these clowns in this crew decided they were willing to decide the game on a call.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Why will quarters change end of game situations?
The possibility to advance the ball to the ball to half court. CV rebounds and calls timeout UConn gets the ball at half court. Granted a team might be out of timeouts but coaches may keep one in their pocket if this rule applies. The girls game adopted the 4 quarter/advance the ball to half court rule two years. This year they changed an existing rule wherein a team loses its first half 30 second timeout if it doesn't use it. Now they can roll it over specifically to keep a timeout for game end situations.

Reaction Score
The possibility to advance the ball to the ball to half court. CV rebounds and calls timeout UConn gets the ball at half court. Granted a team might be out of timeouts but coaches may keep one in their pocket if this rule applies. The girls game adopted the 4 quarter/advance the ball to half court rule two years. This year they changed an existing rule wherein a team loses its first half 30 second timeout if it doesn't use it. Now they can roll it over specifically to keep a timeout for game end situations.

Ah got it. That makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom