Last 9 minutes.. horrible | The Boneyard

Last 9 minutes.. horrible

Reaction Score
Finished watching last nights game. But we were playing toe to toe with a heavy weight ... there are good parts to this team. Just need to put it together

i watched the first half last night, couldn't stay up for second. I had a hunch State would come roaring back in the second half

Reaction Score
Same. Izzo is Calhoun lite. Great half time coach. Msu came out hungry and focused

Izzo was pissed at halftime talking to Goodman you knew right there he was knocking down lockers and throwing stuff all over the place during the break. As well as adjusting and that adjustment allowed them to play form the inside to the outside, our bigs weren't prepared for that at all. They are big kids who can play a little and pass a little as well as score a little. Add to it Winston was 2-10 against Stonybrook and we got the other guy unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Izzo is one of my favorite active coaches. Smart, recruits tough kids, and adjusts

Reaction Score
Izzo is one of my favorite active coaches. Smart, recruits tough kids, and adjusts

I put him up there with some of the greats but again, is in a hotbed of recruiting and gets a lot of great players without getting in a plane. Tough to win NC's all the time but his FF's tells you a lot. He's really good, not JC but pretty good next level down maybe.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So in other words cup 3/4’s full... first 31 minutes we gave State all it could handle.

DO getting his third and fourth foul early in second half and not having Cobb’s five fouls and defensive rebounding were as much a game changer as what Izzo did.

I was really happy that TL shook off the shooting cobwebs in the second half. Unfortunately Jalen and Alterique started half cold.

Winslow went off on UConn because guards collapsed on D when David went out. Once in the zone very little likelihood he was going to be stopped.

Jalen did a great job on Bridges. Would like to see him stop taking his moments of frustration out on Terry. So far Terry has shrugged it off but I wouldn’t be surprised if some day he puts Jalen to the canvas.

Reaction Score
I put him up there with some of the greats but again, is in a hotbed of recruiting and gets a lot of great players without getting in a plane. Tough to win NC's all the time but his FF's tells you a lot. He's really good, not JC but pretty good next level down maybe.

Jc lite....izzo Does a great job with development and running plays that support his player strengths

Reaction Score
So in other words cup 3/4’s full... first 31 minutes we gave State all it could handle.

DO getting his third and fourth foul early in second half and not having Cobb’s five fouls and defensive rebounding were as much a game changer as what Izzo did.

I was really happy that TL shook off the shooting cobwebs in the second half. Unfortunately Jalen and Alterique started half cold.

Winslow went off on UConn because guards collapsed on D when David went out. Once in the zone very little likelihood he was going to be stopped.

Jalen did a great job on Bridges. Would like to see him stop taking his moments of frustration out on Terry. So far Terry has shrugged it off but I wouldn’t be surprised if some day he puts Jalen to the canvas.

Didn't like his few emotional outbursts needs to grow up still. Leaders are calm especially when there is a run by the other team, he wasn't. He's getting there though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Didn't like his few emotional outbursts needs to grow up still. Leaders are calm especially when there is a run by the other team, he wasn't. He's getting there though.
He directs his frustration out on Terry similar to Bazz on Boat. Terry seems to be handling it and shrugging it off. Like you I’d prefer he acted without emotional outbursts and was a stoic leader. Suffice it to say he’s similar to a lot of fans in this forum that struggle with negative emotional immaturity.

Reaction Score
The no call on McQuaid's clear walk at half court when it was 51-44 still ticks me off. Mich. St. went on a little 5-0 run following that and we never recovered from that 12 point deficit.

Reaction Score
Even before Winslow became unconscious it was the start of the 2nd half that did us in, 2 quick fouls on DO (one questionable), two other fouls, several 2nd chance buckets for MS, the most damaging was the non offensive foul call on the putback by Jackson where he dipped his shoulder into Carlton and moved him 2 feet before finishing. Should have been called and it would have been his 3rd foul. Also a few minutes later they hit threes in 3 straight possessions where they were basically left alone due to poor closeouts or simply being left uncovered (one of which should have never happened because the refs missed a blatant travel at mid-court) - we were not coming back from that barrage at that point. I also thought at least one maybe both travels on Carlton were incorrect, and they could have been called for numerous over the back calls, but never were.

I think Izzo's halftime comments may have influenced the refs a bit at the beginning of the 2nd half assuming that they heard them. This was a game that Cobb's bulk definitely would have been helpful. Diarra, went in got a quick block then 2 fouls (one an awful one for the obvious moving screen - he has to know not to do that) and then he got abused for 2 quick hoops on defense. He needs more time vs lower level teams once we have a comfortable lead so he can learn more of the nuances of the game so he can be of help to us later on in the season. Also Gilbert needs to Chill with the going in on the trees 80-90% of the time. We need to move the ball better, too much dribbling, the lack of assists again (6) points to that as well.

That said we battled all night, our lack of experienced interior depth showed but there were many teachable moments in this game we can grow from and regardless of the outcome just the experience of this game should help us for the league schedule and hopefully come March.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The no call on McQuaid's clear walk at half court when it was 51-44 still ticks me off. Mich. St. went on a little 5-0 run following that and we never recovered from that 12 point deficit.

Killer.

Reaction Score
We are in the biggest hotbed of recruiting.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If anyone is going to adjust to take away your strengths and exploit your weaknesses, it's Izzo

MSU defended our penetration and exploited us down low, not everyone is going to do that, and he might not be able to do that once our bigs have a little experience

PS: having somebody go 12-15 helped him a lot too, it's always nice to have a red hot shooter :)

Reaction Score
The first twenty minutes were fun, for a moment I actually thought we could win the game. LOL

Reaction Score

The travel and the obvious offensive goaltend pissed me off. I'm not sure how the refs missed either. It probably didn't matter but you can't miss those.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The lack of offensive execution bothered me but not as much as how we had no energy the second half on the defensive end. We looked scared and that we didn’t want to be there. That went to the offensive end which our guards just started jacking shots and playing out of control

Reaction Score
The travel and the obvious offensive goaltend pissed me off. I'm not sure how the refs missed either. It probably didn't matter but you can't miss those.
They missed several MSU players shuffling their feet but refs weren't a problem last night, we probably got a couple calls as well.

Reaction Score
They missed several MSU players shuffling their feet but refs weren't a problem last night, we probably got a couple calls as well.

I'm not blaming the refs. Those were just incredibly obvious.

Reaction Score

Terry deserved it.

He tried to pull that selfish slip screen move (which would have resulted in Adams being double teamed by two significantly bigger players..and probably a turnover). Then jawed with Adams over it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Three posts fluffing Izzo in less than a half-hour is plenty. When UConn ran his NCAA-favored team off the court a few years ago he said they lost due to free throws. No class. Plus, Sparty fans suck.

Their players are thugs.

It’s a joke that punk Walton didn’t get thrown out of the 09 game.

Home job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom