Last 2 minutes | The Boneyard

Last 2 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch the game live, but did watch a recording of the game.

How the refs didn't call a travel at around the 1:50 mark where the Memphis player lost his balance driving to the basket, slid about 2 feet before passing the ball back to a teammate. Last time I looked at the rule book, picking up your dribble and sliding across the floor is a travel 100% of the time. Egad!!!

Not getting a shot off while up by 1 point on that 2nd to last possession, was horrible. I have no idea what play they were planning to run. Boat pounding the ball for 25 seconds then passing it off to Purvis who was not in good scoring position, just didn't seem like a great idea. They really needed to get into their offense with about 12 to 15 seconds with some good ball and player movement. One player pounding the ball while 4 stand around isn't smart basketball. IMO, if Boat was going to give that ball up he should have done so earlier, but then got it back while on the move, curling around a screen to either put up a J or drive it in the lane.

Goodwin's shot had some of the most lucky bounces I've ever seen. That looked like it was going to fall off the rim but found its way to go in.

As for the degree of difficulty, Boat's last shot was high on the meter. I'm in agreement with many here, that RB was bumped on his drive and should have been given an opportunity to win it at the line. It shouldn't have come down to that.

If it wasn't already, UConn's fate comes down to winning the AAC tourney. They are capable, but they have to shoot it better. As many have pointed out, Purvis is the X-Factor. If he has just a good shooting game we win easily. 0-7 from the field is not getting it done in a must-win game. DHam shooting 5-16 and RB 4-13 didn't help matters either.

This team is capable of winning the AAC tourney and I hope they get it done. The Temple game is now just a tune-up before post season play and might have some AAC seeding implications. After that game, it begins a win-or-go...hum...stay-home situation.

Reaction Score
Capable of winning it? You are the optimistic fellow. Maybe if we beat temple on Saturday and only have to play 3 game. 4 games with this team no way.

Reaction Score
The only thing giving me optimism is that they've played much better at Hartford than they have at Gampel this year by a mile, but those are in one off situations. Asking certain players to string together 3 or 4 good games together in a row to pull this off when they haven't shown the ability to put together 2 brings me back down to reality.

Reaction Score
DogMania said:
I didn't get to watch the game live, but did watch a recording of the game. How the refs didn't call a travel at around the 1:50 mark where the Memphis player lost his balance driving to the basket, slid about 2 feet before passing the ball back to a teammate. Last time I looked at the rule book, picking up your dribble and sliding across the floor is a travel 100% of the time. Egad!!! Not getting a shot off while up by 1 point on that 2nd to last possession, was horrible. I have no idea what play they were planning to run. Boat pounding the ball for 25 seconds then passing it off to Purvis who was not in good scoring position, just didn't seem like a great idea. They really needed to get into their offense with about 12 to 15 seconds with some good ball and player movement. One player pounding the ball while 4 stand around isn't smart basketball. IMO, if Boat was going to give that ball up he should have done so earlier, but then got it back while on the move, curling around a screen to either put up a J or drive it in the lane. Goodwin's shot had some of the most lucky bounces I've ever seen. That looked like it was going to fall off the rim but found its way to go in. As for the degree of difficulty, Boat's last shot was high on the meter. I'm in agreement with many here, that RB was bumped on his drive and should have been given an opportunity to win it at the line. It shouldn't have come down to that. If it wasn't already, UConn's fate comes down to winning the AAC tourney. They are capable, but they have to shoot it better. As many have pointed out, Purvis is the X-Factor. If he has just a good shooting game we win easily. 0-7 from the field is not getting it done in a must-win game. DHam shooting 5-16 and RB 4-13 didn't help matters either. This team is capable of winning the AAC tourney and I hope they get it done. The Temple game is now just a tune-up before post season play and might have some AAC seeding implications. After that game, it begins a win-or-go...hum...stay-home situation.

I put it in another thread, but I think the last play was designed to get DHam open on the left. We waited to run it for whatever reason - but then DHam set the high screen for Boat and peeled off - Boat threw it to Purvis on the right and I think we were hoping they'd overplay Boat and ignore DHam rolling to the wing in the weak side. When it wasn't there - Purvis had to go. Which is why I think you run that 10 seconds earlier. Gives you a chance for 2 for 1 and if it doesn't work you can get the ball back to Boat.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no reason not to attack when we got the ball with a 1:04 left. No matter what happens, Memphis was going to get the ball back with plenty of time, so why not do a 2 for 1 there? Instead, Boat kills 25 seconds and we run out the shot clock, putting us in a position to lose in regulation, with only 8 seconds for the last possession.

There was no benefit to Boat running 25 seconds off in that situation.

Reaction Score
There is no reason not to attack when we got the ball with a 1:04 left. No matter what happens, Memphis was going to get the ball back with plenty of time, so why not do a 2 for 1 there? Instead, Boat kills 25 seconds and we run out the shot clock, putting us in a position to lose in regulation, with only 8 seconds for the last possession.

Agree 100%. IMO go for the 2 for 1. What we did basically cost us a realistic possession. Why pound the ball up top for 20 seconds in that next to last possession ????

Reaction Score

Good point. When I posted my "question the coaching thread," I knew I was missing at least a few bad coaching moves. I completely agree that this was one. I thought the exact same thing at the time - we just put them in a position to take the last shot.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
In Ollie's defense, we had the lead and the ball. Ollie wanted two possessions for the game. If we score and they don't, we win.
We don't score and they don't, we win. If we both score, we're still ahead or even. If we don't score and they do, maybe we get a last second shot. Odds were in our favor.
We had the best guard in the league at creating his own shot. Boat had a terrible game. And there is nothing that Ollie can do but roll with Boat. He has no illusions about the rest of his team.
Boat dribbling at top of key means the other guys can't screw up.
I'm sure the last thing Ollie wanted was for the ball to end up in Purvis' hands. But who else can he put in, TSam?
We need to add two point guards along side Adam's if possible. Adams has to play the two.

Reaction Score
The pessimistic threads on this board reminded me of the same threads last year after were destroyed by Louisville on the last day.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The pessimistic threads on this board reminded me of the same threads last year after were destroyed by Louisville on the last day.
they all come out from the woodwork and get their kicks in, it's pretty pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom