WNBA Championship Semifinals Game 3
Palmetto, FL - Court 1 - 9:30 PM ET
TV: ESPN2, TSN2

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/ (tvpli)

League Pass:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:
Without Alyssa Thomas Connecticut has little chance of winning.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's kinda looking like Alyssa is gonna give it a go tonight.

Reaction Score
Aces guards suck. Trade McBride she’s way overrated, Young should’ve never been #1 pick
(can you imagine Collier with Wilson!!!!!) and Sugar Rodgers should’ve been out of the league a long time ago. Drob is ok just not a championship caliber point guard, and what’s the purpose of Lindsay Allen? She brings absolutely nothing.... A’ja needs (real) shooters around her and she doesn’t have that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aces guards suck. Trade McBride she’s way overrated, Young should’ve never been #1 pick
(can you imagine Collier with Wilson!!!!!) and Sugar Rodgers should’ve been out of the league a long time ago. Drob is ok just not a championship caliber point guard, and what’s the purpose of Lindsay Allen? She brings absolutely nothing.... A’ja needs (real) shooters around her and she doesn’t have that.

Yes, it would be nice for Wilson to get some help from 3pt but that is not how they are built. Wilson played like an MVP in first half but not good enough in 2nd half. CT had little 3pt threat either this game (1-11) in comparison to LV's (5-14) but did not stop Thomas and Jones from mauling Vegas inside.

This win occurred because AT played like she was possessed (on both ends). Glorious.

PS. Candice Parker should give that DPOY award to Alyssa. :oops:

Reaction Score
Yes, it would be nice for Wilson to get some help from 3pt but that is not how they are built. Wilson played like an MVP in first half but not good enough in 2nd half. CT had little 3pt threat either this game (1-11) in comparison to LV's (5-14) but did not stop Thomas and Jones from mauling Vegas inside.

This win occurred because AT played like she was possessed (on both ends). Glorious.

PS. Candice Parker should give that DPOY award to Alyssa. :oops:

Thats another thing.... How can another professional athlete allow a person with TWO torn labrums and just dislocated a shoulder in less that 48 hours work harder than them? Alyssa Thomas was at 50% still doing what she wanted on the court. I saw no fire from Hamby or anyone else trying to go at her and outplay her. Hopefully the Aces can win the next two because Connecticut isn’t a match for Seatttle....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thats another thing.... How can another professional athlete allow a person with TWO torn labrums and just dislocated a shoulder in less that 48 hours work harder than them? Alyssa Thomas was at 50% still doing what she wanted on the court. I saw no fire from Hamby or anyone else trying to go at her and outplay her. Hopefully the Aces can win the next two because Connecticut isn’t a match for Seatttle....

CT is a match for anyone. They are playing the best defense of the 4 teams in the playoffs and will fight to the end. I think Seattle will win the MN series easily (now) but I am not convinced they are ready to handle a team that will go after them physically like CT (or even the Aces) would.

Thomas can play through the pain. She is used to it. I also seem to recall someone saying Hamby is dealing with some injury issues and she actually played well (mostly) in the second half.

Wilson is the MVP (deservedly) but she will need to show it for 80 minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CT is a match for anyone. They are playing the best defense of the 4 teams in the playoffs and will fight to the end. I think Seattle will win the MN series easily (now) but I am not convinced they are ready to handle a team that will go after them physically like CT (or even the Aces) would.

Thomas can play through the pain. She is used to it. I also seem to recall someone saying Hamby is dealing with some injury issues and she actually played well (mostly) in the second half.

Wilson is the MVP (deservedly) but she will need to show it for 80 minutes.

I think everyone, including Bill puts too much pressure on Aja. She can’t do it alone and she has been especially this series. She’s averaging 22 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game her teammates has to step it up! Even when Stewie won MVP and Finals MVP she had tons of help. Aja is being guarded by 3-4 players sometimes in this series and still scoring through that. That’s impressive! McBride claims she’s one of the best shooters in the world and a All-Star but went 1-7 including 1-4 in a must win game in a tied series... McCoughtry has been to the finals 3 times already and yet she’s been playing like she’s sleepwalking and still makes stupid mistakes like she’s in College. I like Young’s ability to drive the lane or hit the midrange but her decision making is terrible and bill claims she’s the best passer to the post:confused:..... She also really needs to work on her 3pt shooting big time this offseason. The Aces organization will have bigtime decisions this offseason. I think they could use better 2 guards who can create (Tiffany Mitchell, Tiffany Hayes, Allisha Gray come to mind) for McBride who’s hit or miss from 3. Keep Young but work on her 3pt shot, Cut Sugar Rodgers, Swords, and Allen. I also think they would do better with someone like Candace or Nneka alongside Aja instead of Liz.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think everyone, including Bill puts too much pressure on Aja. She can’t do it alone and she has been especially this series. She’s averaging 22 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game her teammates has to step it up! Even when Stewie won MVP and Finals MVP she had tons of help. Aja is being guarded by 3-4 players sometimes in this series and still scoring through that. That’s impressive! McBride claims she’s one of the best shooters in the world and a All-Star but went 1-7 including 1-4 in a must win game in a tied series... McCoughtry has been to the finals 3 times already and yet she’s been playing like she’s sleepwalking and still makes stupid mistakes like she’s in College. I like Young’s ability to drive the lane or hit the midrange but her decision making is terrible and bill claims she’s the best passer to the post:confused:..... She also really needs to work on her 3pt shooting big time this offseason. The Aces organization will have bigtime decisions this offseason. I think they could use better 2 guards who can create (Tiffany Mitchell, Tiffany Hayes, Allisha Gray come to mind) for McBride who’s hit or miss from 3. Keep Young but work on her 3pt shot, Cut Sugar Rodgers, Swords, and Allen. I also think they would do better with someone like Candace or Nneka alongside Aja instead of Liz.
Basically can all the ND players and fill it with South Carolina kids lol

Reaction Score
Basically can all the ND players and fill it with South Carolina kids lol

Well not exactly:D.... Young can stay she just needs to really work on her three point shot. She’s ok on defense but will get better. I’m done waiting on McBride to consistently be spectacular she’s basically a vet in the league. I think Mitchell or Gray or Hayes would bring a creator type to go with Aja. Mitchell can get to the line just as good as Aja and shoots it at the highest percentage of the league. She’s also a great defender and terrific in transition. She would pair well with Plum, McCoughtry, and Young.

Same thing with Hayes. She’s streaky but she does more than just shoot threes. She can create her own shot and is a good defender as well. She would be a nice compliment to the backcourt as well and paired with Angel again might be good.

And then there’s Gray who played outstanding Basketball this year for the Wings. I think paired with Aja again that would be a very formidable duo. Gray is also a good defender and rebounder from the SG position. I doubt Dallas let’s her go but one can wish.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As a coach, I would tell my team to not guard Young when she is behind the three point arc and just prevent her from driving. She is pretty deadly from mid range. As far as Wilson is concerned, I just don't care for her, however, there is no denying her talent and that she is one of the premier players in the WNBA after just three years. She excels even without having a three point shot and does not seem to need one. If she ever develops one she could become one of the all time greats. She might even without one.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Couldn't watch yesterday so I just watched the game on LeaguePass (the greatest bargain EVER) and I admit to being just about in tears down the stretch. This was a GREAT win and an EPIC performance by the REAL DPOY, Alyssa Thomas. Think about it - if AT doesn't get hurt last game the Sun probably sweep the mighty Aces... unreal.

The Sun won this on ball security and smothering defense. They had only 4 turnovers the entire game versus LV's 15... 11 addition possessions made up for some pretty poor shooting (1-11 from 3 and at LEAST 5 missed layups). The Sun also had 14 O-boards to LV's 8... more additional possessions.

Quick takes:
  • Alyssa Thomas is the REAL Defensive Player of the Year and should have at least been prominent in the MVP discussion, too.
  • Love Briann January's energy on the court, especially on D. Great positive personality, tireless work-a-holic and great addition to the squad. The Sun could sure use some of her 2018 shooting, though.
  • Bri Jones continues to be very solid at both ends of the court. Can't ask more from her.
  • Jas Thomas scored 10 pts, but more importantly had 6 assists and just one turnover... huge. Toss in 5 rebounds also.
  • Bonner, AT and Bri Jones with double-doubles... 3 dub-dubs in one postseason game has only happened 2 other times in league history. Balance!
  • To close the deal, the Sun will need to present some perimeter threat. 1-11 won't cut it. Also need a little more bench support from Charles (especially), Mompremier and Hiedeman on offense.
This is FAR from over, and I don't see Vegas quitting like LA did last year, but... always better to be 2-1 than 1-2.

PS - Despite her point output last night, I think Angel has been a better player for the Sun than the Aces over all. Should she really be taking more shots than Wilson?

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
I was very disappointed that Ryan Ruocco said that AT got away with an offensive foul on that steal and run to the layup at the end of the game. It was no where close to an offensive foul. If DT or Nneka did that, all we'd hear is what a great, tough, veteran move it was. There was no left arm extension at all. She did just what those other players do ALL THE TIME - step to the front of the rim, lean into the contact and finish. Great play and no mention of the intelligence, hustle and cat-like quickness it took to get the steal in the first place. That's just disrespeCT!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Well not exactly:D.... Young can stay she just needs to really work on her three point shot. She’s ok on defense but will get better. I’m done waiting on McBride to consistently be spectacular she’s basically a vet in the league. I think Mitchell or Gray or Hayes would bring a creator type to go with Aja. Mitchell can get to the line just as good as Aja and shoots it at the highest percentage of the league. She’s also a great defender and terrific in transition. She would pair well with Plum, McCoughtry, and Young.

Same thing with Hayes. She’s streaky but she does more than just shoot threes. She can create her own shot and is a good defender as well. She would be a nice compliment to the backcourt as well and paired with Angel again might be good.

And then there’s Gray who played outstanding Basketball this year for the Wings. I think paired with Aja again that would be a very formidable duo. Gray is also a good defender and rebounder from the SG position. I doubt Dallas let’s her go but one can wish.

They have a really good playmakers. McCoughtry routinely gets great midrange looks. Young is a terrific playmaker too, as she is great at attacking the basket. Wilson is also tremendous attacking the basket from 15 feet. So is Hamby. They don't need playmakers, they need perimeter threats and McBride is one of the best shooters in the league. This hasn't been her best year and she's been quite mediocre in the series, but she's a career 15ppg scorer and 37% shooter from deep. Vegas needs outside shooting to compete for a title. They're dead last in 3pt FGM and FGA by a big margin.

A Gray is good off the bounce but only a career 32% 3pt shooter, same with Hayes (32% 3pt). T. Mitchell is a 27% career 3pt shooter and 36% FG shooter. None of those are going to be a better option than McBride who excels at moving off the ball in catch and shoot situations. They don't need a whole lot else from her based on player personnel, but she has to hit a decent percentage for Vegas to compete for a title.

What I think Vegas needs is a better PG. Someone who can knockdown shots and distribute the ball. Allen is more of a backup PG since she doesn't have any range on her shot. DRob could be a good fit for a team with established shooters, but her lack of jumpshot makes her a poor fit for Vegas. Plum next year could be a great fit but she is a wildcard. She's one of the streakiest players in the league in that she can be an outstanding shooter or dreadful.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Couldn't watch yesterday so I just watched the game on LeaguePass (the greatest bargain EVER) and I admit to being just about in tears down the stretch. This was a GREAT win and an EPIC performance by the REAL DPOY, Alyssa Thomas. Think about it - if AT doesn't get hurt last game the Sun probably sweep the mighty Aces... unreal.

The Sun won this on ball security and smothering defense. They had only 4 turnovers the entire game versus LV's 15... 11 addition possessions made up for some pretty poor shooting (1-11 from 3 and at LEAST 5 missed layups). The Sun also had 14 O-boards to LV's 8... more additional possessions.

Quick takes:
  • Alyssa Thomas is the REAL Defensive Player of the Year and should have at least been prominent in the MVP discussion, too.
  • Love Briann January's energy on the court, especially on D. Great positive personality, tireless work-a-holic and great addition to the squad. The Sun could sure use some of her 2018 shooting, though.
  • Bri Jones continues to be very solid at both ends of the court. Can't ask more from her.
  • Jas Thomas scored 10 pts, but more importantly had 6 assists and just one turnover... huge. Toss in 5 rebounds also.
  • Bonner, AT and Bri Jones with double-doubles... 3 dub-dubs in one postseason game has only happen 2 other times in league history. Balance!
  • To close the deal, the Sun will need to present some perimeter threat. 1-11 won't cut it. Also need a little more bench support from Charles (especially), Mompremier and Hiedeman on offense.
This is FAR from over, and I don't see Vegas quitting like LA did last year, but... always better to be 2-1 than 1-2.

PS - Despite her point output last night, I think Angel has been a better player for the Sun than the Aces over all. Should she really be taking more shots than Wilson?

Thomas is playing better than anyone in the league right now. She's been an absolute monster on both ends and her physical defense on A'ja has been outstanding.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
T. Mitchell is a 27% career 3pt shooter and 36% FG shooter

Glad it wasn't just me who thought this was a weird suggestion for a player Vegas should look at acquiring, since it seems like she's the opposite of what they need.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the Athletic, an article on CT Sun Bench Celebrations. Unfortunately, along with Plaisance and Hiedeman, KML is pretty central to this. :oops:

One sample. Other bench celebrations included

1601383952124.png

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Not sure how I feel about this. I appreciate their energy, enthusiasm and support for the on the court players BUT my 2 cents is that I would prefer a bunch of stone-cold ballers that are 100% focused on the game, and are intensely anxious to get in and make it hard for coach to take them out. Maybe too much to ask in the psychological atmosphere of the wubble.

I remember Natisha's rookie training camp with the Sun. She was so focused and intense that I wasn't sure she EVER smiled. Theresa was a killer in many of the games I watched her play against the Sun, draining 3's and rebounding... THAT TPlai has not been seen in a Sun uni EVER. I don't need to remind anyone on the BY about KML. Does she realize that her career in the W is hanging on a thread at this point? These guys (and everyone else) will need to be as good as they can possibly be ON THE COURT today for the Sun to have a chance to advance.

My inner curmudgeon comes out again... hang on.... HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF MY LAWN!! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom