Larry Scott talks NCAA changes | The Boneyard

Larry Scott talks NCAA changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
It can't be just the P5 (or a superdivision culled from the P5), because the top schools need weak schools to beat up. Also they need to immunize themselves against antitrust liability, and keep national interest in college sports.

But they can bring other schools into the superdivision, while blocking them from making money.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It can't be just the P5 (or a superdivision culled from the P5), because the top schools need weak schools to beat up. Also they need to immunize themselves against antitrust liability, and keep national interest in college sports.

But they can bring other schools into the superdivision, while blocking them from making money.
Well the P5 are talking about 9 game schedules and scheduling agreements between P5 leagues, that will cut down on payouts to the little guys and they'll have even less $$$ to spend on their football programs and Olympic sports. So I don't know, maybe they'll try to starve out the Sun Belt types and watch them drop down to FCS just by finances.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I'll just stick this Thamel piece here since no one has linked to it yet. It sounds more like a consolidation of power rather than a clear division. FCS and the bottom 250 Division 1 schools will probably have little to say about how things go in the NCAA in the future.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/

I guess we need a thread titled "The Big 5 are not going to break away."

(Has Big 5 replaced Power 5 in the popular lexicon? As a Philly type I probably don't like that, but "Power 5" was just insultingly awful.)

Reaction Score
Anyone notice the dateline in that ESPN article? "HARTFORD, Conn. -- Larry Scott of the Pac-12 joined the chorus of commissioners calling for sweeping change in the NCAA, and said it can happen without confrontation and with the five most powerful football conferences still competing on the field with the other five.......Scott said Thursday as the Pac-12 wrapped up a mini-media days on the East Coast that included their football coaches appearing on ESPN."

I know it is an AP article, but still surprised to see Hartford instead of Bristol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll just stick this Thamel piece here since no one has linked to it yet. It sounds more like a consolidation of power rather than a clear division. FCS and the bottom 250 Division 1 schools will probably have little to say about how things go in the NCAA in the future.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/[/quote]

This will be the big question, much like in realignment. But think of this potential change as similar to realignment in that for all the drastic scenarios floated, in the end it wasn't nearly as earth shaking as many had predicted.

Along with the Big 5, a majority of the other major football-playing leagues would likely go with them -- Mountain West, American Athletic, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC. The top basketball leagues like the Big East, Atlantic-10 and perhaps the WCC would go as well. The Ivy League and Patriot League will be talked about, too.

This doesn't mean that the America Easts, Big Souths and Big Wests of the world will be all that different. They'll still have access to the NCAA tournament. Most would agree the NCAA tournament is a better event with Valparaiso, Long Beach State and Florida Gulf Coast.

So if a league is "out," it is really just subjected to a different rules structure. The championship structure will be the same and they'll play the same teams. This means that the average fan watching Big Monday or filling out a bracket won't see much difference.

Think of it as bloodless coup. The Big 5 want better leadership, less paralysis and a more smoothly running NCAA. And they are, essentially, going to attempt to provide it themselves. They have the money and leverage. They'll fill the new governance structure -- and no one has drilled down too far on the specifics of that. And the less influential leagues will fall in line, even if they do so reluctantly, because they really have no choice.

Read More: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/#ixzz2a9mOp82W[/URL]

GG

Reaction Score
Anyone notice the dateline in that ESPN article? "HARTFORD, Conn. -- Larry Scott of the Pac-12 joined the chorus of commissioners calling for sweeping change in the NCAA, and said it can happen without confrontation and with the five most powerful football conferences still competing on the field with the other five.......Scott said Thursday as the Pac-12 wrapped up a mini-media days on the East Coast that included their football coaches appearing on ESPN."

I know it is an AP article, but still surprised to see Hartford instead of Bristol.

A meeting took place at ON20 (fka the Poly Tech). ON20 was closed for this private event.

Reaction Score
A meeting took place at ON20 (fka the Poly Tech). ON20 was closed for this private event.[/quote]

PAC-12 hanging in Hartford, who would have thought...thanks for the info

GG

Reaction Score
A meeting took place at ON20 (fka the Poly Tech). ON20 was closed for this private event.

PAC-12 hanging in Hartford, who would have thought...thanks for the info[/quote]

I was just upset it was closed and I could not take advantage of their new happy hour pricing. Perhaps we can spin this as UCONN to the PAC10. Realignment rumors have been started with far less. :)

Reaction Score
Bryan Fischer@BryanDFischer20h
Larry Scott on ESPN: “The fact that full cost of attendance is getting blocked by schools without the resources is just wrong.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom