Larry McHugh Stepping Down from UConn Board of Trustees | The Boneyard

Larry McHugh Stepping Down from UConn Board of Trustees

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Unless there is something I don't know about him...good. Anyone who was around for all of the CR nonsense needs to be gone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unless there is something I don't know about him...good. Anyone who was around for all of the CR nonsense needs to be gone.

There is definitely information you don't know about him.

Not wanting him around is independent of your lack of knowledge.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He's old. That pummeling he took from Naugy in'81 took a lot out of him.

Reaction Score
Larry McHugh is one of the the most respected people in the state and has been for decades. His leadership and innovative ideas have created opportunities for many.
Personally benefited from a community college program he set up to get people up to speed with computer skills. This as the age group had no such offering in high school or adult ed any longer.
Larry is a good guy, the only fault I have with him and it is a biggie....He was the lead cheerleader to bring in Paul P....Both past their day...Loyal to a fault.....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Larry McHugh is one of the the most respected people in the state and has been for decades. His leadership and innovative ideas have created opportunities for many.
Personally benefited from a community college program he set up to get people up to speed with computer skills. This as the age group had no such offering in high school or adult ed any longer.
Larry is a good guy, the only fault I have with him and it is a biggie....He was the lead cheerleader to bring in Paul P....Both past their day...Loyal to a fault.....

I know Larry personally and know he wanted to keep Randy Edsall but knew that coach Edsall wasn't staying especially with Hathaway still there. With Pasqualoni, he was hoping for catching some of the 80s-90s lighting in the bottle that happened in Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a credit to the University. Hope his future endeavors are rewarding.

Apparently he didn't watch the end of the Coach P era at Cuse very closely or didn't understand the changing dynamics of today's game. Add in the limitations of age and a long term absence from it and you have a risky choice disguised as a safe one. Understandable but unfortunate.

Reaction Score
I know Larry personally and know he wanted to keep Randy Edsall but knew that coach Edsall wasn't staying especially with Hathaway still there. With Pasqualoni, he was hoping for catching some of the 80s-90s lighting in the bottle that happened in Syracuse.
He was able to run Hathaway out of town after Herbst took over a few months later. It was a few years too late... but nontheless he got it done.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a credit to the University. Hope his future endeavors are rewarding.

Apparently he didn't watch the end of the Coach P era at Cuse very closely or didn't understand the changing dynamics of today's game. Add in the limitations of age and a long term absence from it and you have a risky choice disguised as a safe one. Understandable but unfortunate.

Probably the best description that I have heard regarding the selection of PP ....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Larry is a really good guy and has done so much for so many
Led at Xavier, led at Middlesex Chamber of Commerce, had leadership roles in many corporations and Non Profits
And then there is his gig at UConn
Aside from any issues involving PP, I think he was good for UConn
However, I feel it's a good time to step down and let some new blood into the school
Good Luck Larry - hope all is well and you enjoy the years ahead!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He was able to run Hathaway out of town after Herbst took over a few months later. It was a few years too late... but nontheless he got it done.
Wasn't that more Herbst than McHugh?

Reaction Score
Got the impression that PP knew a helluva lot about football but he sure didn't handle adversity very well. The body language on the sideline was atrocious. Don't know how he related to the players but I suspect not really well. Which is a bit of a mystery. Plenty of people his age relate to college students well. Maybe it was the pressure coming in after a Fiesta Bowl appearance and knowing most of the horses were absent from the barn.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Got the impression that PP knew a helluva lot about football but he sure didn't handle adversity very well. The body language on the sideline was atrocious. Don't know how he related to the players but I suspect not really well. Which is a bit of a mystery. Plenty of people his age relate to college students well. Maybe it was the pressure coming in after a Fiesta Bowl appearance and knowing most of the horses were absent from the barn.

Can't understand how he couldn't handle adversity well. He had plenty of practice at Syracuse.

Reaction Score

Not one to disagree with you Bill. Always like what you bring to the table. Not this time, please do not take it as an attack. :)
I think it is nice that you know him personally. I have followed his career and used some of his Xavier mantras in amateur coaching myself. He was good.
The hiring of Paul will always be the "toe stub" of his career. What was going on between Randy and Hathaway along with other coaches was public knowledge.

The rush with the way Larry took control with the giddiness of a teenager to push Paul to the forefront was simply unprofessional. This done with The CHSCA in mind of course. There were simply too many good candidates available that year that were never considered.
For him to think he was going to catch lighting in a bottle from a coach that was fired from a football factory at the time he was there was and still is sad. :( :confused:

Reaction Score
The hiring of Paul Pasqualoni was ALL on Hathaway. Hathaway threw LM under the bus, and Larry is too big a man and too much of a UConn supporter to come out and deny. He wouldn't want to make the hiring look bad as it was happening. But I know for a FACT that Mr. McHugh was not driving the bus on that one.

Reaction Score

I am wondering how many, in many of your eyes, credible head coaches wanted the job. It might be that P was one of the lesser evils. I'd be real curious as to who else seriously considered taking the job and who else was seriously considered for the job in the wee hours of 2011.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom