Larrier will be ours! | The Boneyard

Larrier will be ours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
VCU has received a verbal commit from Justin Tilman a 6'8" 175 lbs SF just outside the ESPN Top 100 and on the Rivals 150. Since they have already landed him I don't see how Larrier would still want to go there. Many have stated VCU led with TL so hopefully this changes things.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Larrier is their biggest target. They will still be going after him very hard and will be tough competition to beat out for Larrier. This kid will not affect Larrier too much because he's the staff top target and he's better than him.

Reaction Score
Tillman is more of a PF, completely different player from Larrier

caw

Reaction Score
Tillman is more of a PF, completely different player from Larrier

And Hamilton is more of a SG. I dont think either player will really affect Larrrier.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
And Hamilton is more of a SG. I dont think either player will really affect Larrrier.

i don't want to start this argument again, but he's a SF. if we play with both calhoun and Dham, i would bet he plays the "2." could be wrong but thats my thought. for that reason i wonder why the staff is pushing hard for him, but i would be ecstatic either way if we get him. still waiting for that big though......

caw

Reaction Score
i don't want to start this argument again, but he's a SF. if we play with both calhoun and Dham, i would bet he plays the "2." could be wrong but thats my thought. for that reason i wonder why the staff is pushing hard for him, but i would be ecstatic either way if we get him. still waiting for that big though......

Let me put it this way.

DHam is closer to a Rip three.
Larrrier/Robinson closer to Sticks/Gay.
Oubre closer to Butler
Not sure there is anyone similar to Ray in this class though Vaughn might be the closest.

All those guys played some three but their skill sets in the NBA all differed quite a bit.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Let me put it this way.

Oubre closer to Butler
Not sure there is anyone similar to Ray in this class though Vaughn might be the closest.
Really well put, though I'm not sure about DHam/Rip. From what I've seen and read, DHam likes the ball in his hands more than Rip did.

I'm not certain there's a perfect analog, but Ray from '95-96 might be the best shout.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way.

Oubre closer to Butler

All those guys played some three but their skill sets in the NBA all differed quite a bit.

And in KO's new offense, the Sticks/Gay role is at the 4, which can coexist with Hamilton (conveniently, Rip or Daniel!) at the 3.

So for us, if Larrier is really in that Sticks/Gay/DD mold, he can play alongside Hamilton. Otherwise there will be some competition at the 3. There will be ample minutes to go around.

Furthermore, VCU's recruiting a sub-100 guy has no bearing on Larrier. Larrier would start over this guy in a heartbeat.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And in KO's new offense, the Sticks/Gay role is at the 4, which can coexist with Hamilton (conveniently, Rip or Daniel!) at the 3.

So for us, if Larrier is really in that Sticks/Gay/DD mold, he can play alongside Hamilton. Otherwise there will be some competition at the 3. There will be ample minutes to go around.

Furthermore, VCU's recruiting a sub-100 guy has no bearing on Larrier. Larrier would start over this guy in a heartbeat.
I believe KO's offense last year was predicated on the personnel he had as opposed to a preference of offense. Otherwise he wouldn't have worked so hard trying to recruit Abu, a prototypical 4.

Reaction Score
I believe KO's offense last year was predicated on the personnel he had as opposed to a preference of offense. Otherwise he wouldn't have worked so hard trying to recruit Abu, a prototypical 4.

Bingo!

Reaction Score

I think he's flexible enough (unlike JC) to work with either option. If he gets Abu, we'll go with a traditional 4. If he doesn't, and we get Larrier, Robinson, or White, we'll go with the "stretch" 4 like DD that worked well for us last year.

To be honest, our problems in the paint last year weren't because we had a lanky 6'8, perimeter-oriented 4 (which, by the way, most teams in college basketball have). Our problem was that our center was an under-athletic, floor-anchored white guy who couldn't compete on the glass.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he's flexible enough (unlike JC) to work with either option. If he gets Abu, we'll go with a traditional 4. If he doesn't, and we get Larrier, Robinson, or White, we'll go with the "stretch" 4 like DD that worked well for us last year.

To be honest, our problems in the paint last year weren't because we had a lanky 6'8, perimeter-oriented 4 (which, by the way, most teams in college basketball have). Our problem was that our center was an under-athletic, floor-anchored white guy who couldn't compete on the glass.
Actually JC was also faced with limitations with the players he recruited. First several years he had no obvious center when men's bb was dominated with centers. He compensated by recruiting quick players and engaged the full court press and fast break.

When he finally recruited centers he went a to half court offense and an inside game. JC was a master at molding his team based on personnel at his disposal and assessing other teams liabilities in their game to alter his teams play.

He did have a few years of failure. Most Div 1 coaches would take his failure years in a heartbeat. But the number of years that were successful far outweighed his failures. And that is why he is a HOF coach.

I agree with you on all your other points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom