Larrier used to be very athletic | The Boneyard

Larrier used to be very athletic

Reaction Score
VCU's Terry Larrier OFFICIAL Ballislife Mixtape! Athletic Wing Is Full of Potential!

I'm not a fan of Larrier's game as I have expressed plenty of times before. But man, it sucks that his injury and time off have destroyed his athleticism and apparently his confidence in his legs.

Check out the video. He was quite an athlete. A between the legs dunk in a game (even if it was an all star game) is a big athletic feat that has not been done many times ever.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think it has more to do with confidence than the physical injury. More mental than anything.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
He’s the age of a senior, but playing very much like a sophomore. He turns the ball over too much, has a tendency to get sloppy and hold on to it for too long. His defense has left much to be desired.

That said, he’s averaging 15 a game. He’s shooting 43% from deep on almost 5 attempts per game. He rebounds relatively well. The more court time he sees, the better he’s going to get. I think he’s going to end up being very special.

Reaction Score
UConn had 3 players out last year due to injury. Larrrier missed 2 seasons after transferring from VCU. We are 10 games into the season and it takes time to get back into top playing form, so we'll see how the players develop over the season.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier was the top recruit for UConn the year we lost him to VCU. He was the next great one in the line of all the UConn greats. A lot of time has been lost, but I hope he gets back to where he was always supposed to be. Videos like that one had us salivating for him 4 years ago.

One other thing I notice in the video is that he never used to leave his feet when he shot 3s in high school. Clearly he has worked on his 3 point shot, and now, when he takes the time to set, he goes up and has good form.

pj

Reaction Score
What I take from that video -- when they speed the tape up a little it makes players look terrific.

Reaction Score
The mystery of coaching is finding that balance between criticism and encouragement. Does a player develop apprehension associated with fear of failure, or aggressiveness associated with the building of confidence. Larrier's athleticism comes out when aggressive and confident. That is not being seen right now. Ollie is trying to push the right buttons, but has yet to find it with this team. Napier helped Ollie define the team in 2014. I don't know if Adams or any other player has the same gravitas with this team. Gilbert may have been that guy.

Calhoun had the magic of being ultra critical and incredibly challenging to the players, but also building a confidence that if done his way success will naturally come. Ollie hasn't had that buy from his players hence the transfers last year.

Part of the aggressiveness and confidence revolves around the team buying into a system and executing. If all 5 on the floor don't have total buy in the apprehension and fear of failure rears its ugly head. That is where a lot of 1-on-1 with the shot clock winding down happens. Some of the confidence comes with experience and, as has been documented frequently, this team is young and has only played together for a few months. The Freshmen still have the deer in headlights look.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The mystery of coaching is finding that balance between criticism and encouragement. Does a player develop apprehension associated with fear of failure, or aggressiveness associated with the building of confidence. Larrier's athleticism comes out when aggressive and confident. That is not being seen right now. Ollie is trying to push the right buttons, but has yet to find it with this team. Napier helped Ollie define the team in 2014. I don't know if Adams or any other player has the same gravitas with this team. Gilbert may have been that guy.

Calhoun had the magic of being ultra critical and incredibly challenging to the players, but also building a confidence that if done his way success will naturally come. Ollie hasn't had that buy from his players hence the transfers last year.

Part of the aggressiveness and confidence revolves around the team buying into a system and executing. If all 5 on the floor don't have total buy in the apprehension and fear of failure rears its ugly head. That is where a lot of 1-on-1 with the shot clock winding down happens.

Most players will admit that their best athletic moves took place in summer leagues, pick up games, aau tournaments, etc when everyone is playing fast and free but I still think that physically, Larrier is just not as explosive as he used to be. I think its clear.

Reaction Score
Most players will admit that their best athletic moves took place in summer leagues, pick up games, aau tournaments, etc when everyone is playing fast and free but I still think that physically, Larrier is just not as explosive as he used to be. I think its clear.

Just watch any other P5, Big East or decent mid major game and you will see levels of athleticism on the offensive end that UConn simply does not show on a regular basis. I am not talking only about the top 20 teams. These kids are not better basketball players than Uconn, they are just confident in their system. It pains me to watch the flow and creativity of man-to-man offenses for other teams.

Reaction Score
He showed a lot of athleticism last season before the injury too. Check the dunk at the 1:00 minute mark of this video. He jumps from a foot outside the paint and well before the restricted area. Such a fast guy, too.

I think he will get back there, but it will take more time and confidence. He is a player that, at this stage, requires a lot of patience. Hard to argue with his improved jump shooting though.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier looks extremely fragile. He has at least one hold your breath moment every game. It's a shame but those injuries seem to have taken a toll.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier looks extremely fragile. He has at least one hold your breath moment every game. It's a shame but those injuries seem to have taken a toll.

He looks injured constantly. Last game he was laying on the floor while the play went on. They had to stop the game. That's scary stuff. Happened at least 2 or 3 times during home games already.

Reaction Score
He showed a lot of athleticism last season before the injury too. Check the dunk at the 1:00 minute mark of this video. He jumps from a foot outside the paint and well before the restricted area. Such a fast guy, too. I think he will get back there, but it will take more time and confidence. He is a player that, at this stage, requires a lot of patience. Hard to argue with his improved jump shooting though.

Looks good and I agree with you. It's going to take some time. Speed, explosiveness and confidence are the things that go with a major injury.

I saw a few post ups and most of his points came in the paint in that video. This is something we desperately need since we're not getting any other type of production from our post players.

Reaction Score
UConn had 3 players out last year due to injury. Larrrier missed 2 seasons after transferring from VCU. We are 10 games into the season and it takes time to get back into top playing form, so we'll see how the players develop over the season.

I like the positive attitude but the problem is our schedule is not set up for that. Our season will most likely be decided in the next three games. If we win one we still have a shot at the tournament. If we lose all three it will most likely be too big of a hole to crawl out of. With ten games under their belt, Adams and Larrier need to step up right now and take their games to another level.

Reaction Score
He looks injured constantly. Last game he was laying on the floor while the play went on. They had to stop the game. That's scary stuff. Happened at least 2 or 3 times during home games already.

???

You mean the 2 times he twisted his ankle?

Once got knocked in the nuts?

His nuts must attract injuries.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Two years off with one of them due to a serious knee injury has to result in a lot of ring rust. Let's see where he is at in late February.

Reaction Score
Terry is playing within the offense, mostly letting the game come to him, and not chucking shots every time he sees the ball which he has been known to do in the past. I like how he is playing; I think we will see him continue to improve his numbers and become more aggressive with the confidence that comes from continually playing. He's been playing out of his preferred position, and doing well, though I hope KO runs with a real frontcourt, bigger bodies rotating at the 4 and 5, and with Larrier on the wing we are a different looking team, and our offense, rebounding and interior defense should reflect this. My only real knock so far is the turnovers, and that can be improved through adjusting his offensive game and dribbling less in traffic. He's long and athletic, he can make moves, or get to the rim(which he hasn't been doing much) without putting the ball on the floor so much. One or two dribbles, make it happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted something similar in a different Larrier thread, but I think this is just as relevant here.

ACL is a really tough injury to come back from. Mentally and physically. Dion Lewis didn't look like he'd ever be the athlete he once was the year after he came back from injury. Then this year comes back and BAM, right back to form.

But then again some of his limitations skill wise shouldn't be affected directly by a knee injury (ball handling for example). So, who knows. Hope i'm right.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s not just about getting to the rim. When he does, he seems afraid of hurting his hand on it. Was there a hand or wrist injury that I missed!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom