Larrier and Durham | The Boneyard

Larrier and Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My two biggest question marks heading into the season are with Larrier and Durham. I've seen Larrier ranked in mock drafts in the top 20... next year. Seems a little crazy to me but if he's half that good we're going places. He also really softens the Dham blow as he's long and can play the 3-4 depending on matchups. More athletic than Dham and better shooter. All reports indicate he had a hell of an offseason and really improved.

Also, Durham was a shoe in McDonald's All American and top 20 player before he got injured twice. It appears he's going to play and not red shirt. I don't know what it's like to recover from two ACL's but if he can return to his old form by March watch out. From a skill point of view I think he's the most versatile and talented player on our roster. As always, health will be key this year. I'm really excited about the future of our young Huskies.

Reaction Score
With this squad its all about the bigs and their improvement, development and contributions. The other positions I feel we are set (meaning no question marks).

Brimah and Facey especially need to have an NBA potential type season. Brimah obviously will get a look, but still both need to up their games this final year. If Enoch can contribute something along with those two then the sky is the limit.

Of course Durham being the wild card in that mix.

This squad has talent and experience, a very nice combination. We have the luxury of not needing to rely on freshman this season.

Lastly leadership and chemistry do have to be answered. Purvis, Amida (cheerleader/encouragement) and Jalen should be able to solve the leadership question.

Reaction Score
More athletic than Dham and better shooter. All reports indicate he had a hell of an offseason and really improved.

I'll definitely give you the more athletic sentiment. That was a huge issue with DHam. However, Larrier shot a robust 34% at VCU including 26% from 3 (120+ attempts.) Now, everything I've seen is that the guy was an absolute chucker at VCU; terrible shot selection. Maybe he's a better shooter and his decision making ruined the #'s?

Reaction Score
I'll definitely give you the more athletic sentiment. That was a huge issue with DHam. However, Larrier shot a robust 34% at VCU including 26% from 3 (120+ attempts.) Now, everything I've seen is that the guy was an absolute chucker at VCU; terrible shot selection. Maybe he's a better shooter and his decision making ruined the #'s?

That had everything to do with the pace of play under Shaka's havoc system.

Reaction Score

That's not accurate...they actually had to prompt him to be more aggressive / assertive. Shaka's offense requires. Sam him play 3 or 4 times...he fits our model of SF's. Local fans are sorry he left believe me. Havoc referred to his defense...Shaka didn't have anything remotely resembling an offense.

Reaction Score
"Havoc" was not an offensive scheme.

A defense like that leads to fast break, quick offense though. He recruited long and fast athletes for the system so it naturally went to their offense as well.

Reaction Score
If he just about outshined everybody with the highest level competition over the summer, and that has prompted his inclusion in the Dr J watch list, I'm not about to diss the guy. I wasn't overly high on getting him a year and a half ago, but, that was foolish on my part. He had one so so season as a freshman. He's got a really athletic build, great length, and is unquestionably better than he was as a freshman. I bet he shoots at least 43 percent from the field, and probably better with this season's improved guard play.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Everybody was a shooter at VCU - type of play dictating that
Larrier is a projected high pick because of athleticism and potential - IF he plays in control and within the system - he could be huge for UConn.
Durham just needs to make sure the legs are sturdy and he is mentally prepared to go to battle without thinking about injury, what I saw of him at 1st night he is a really good player and versatile at 6'11"
I can't wait to see both these guys turn it on!!!!

Reaction Score
Whoa, not blasting Larrier or saying I'm not happy he was here... I wanted him from the get-go. I'm just saying the original post says he's a better shooter than DHam and we have no way to know that. DHam was a very inconsistent shooter and numbers wise, Larrier was worse. As I stated, the VCU Larrier highlight video contains him taking some really awful shots; maybe it was the offense... But his shooting numbers are pretty bad. 32-122 from 3 is a pretty piss-poor shooting performance. For as much as we got on DHam for his shooting, he was a career 34% shooter from 3. Not good, but not terrible.

Reaction Score
As I stated, the VCU Larrier highlight video contains him taking some really awful shots; maybe it was the offense... But his shooting numbers are pretty bad. 32-122 from 3 is a pretty piss-poor shooting performance
That was also 18 months ago

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Whoa, not blasting Larrier or saying I'm not happy he was here... I wanted him from the get-go. I'm just saying the original post says he's a better shooter than DHam and we have no way to know that. DHam was a very inconsistent shooter and numbers wise, Larrier was worse. As I stated, the VCU Larrier highlight video contains him taking some really awful shots; maybe it was the offense... But his shooting numbers are pretty bad. 32-122 from 3 is a pretty piss-poor shooting performance. For as much as we got on DHam for his shooting, he was a career 34% shooter from 3. Not good, but not terrible.
Im not saying I disagree, but Larrier was a freshman...now he'll be a junior on what I believe to be a more talented roster. I expect a much more mature player and one who has improved his shooting.

Reaction Score
Im not saying I disagree, but Larrier was a freshman...now he'll be a junior on what I believe to be a more talented roster. I expect a much more mature player and one who has improved his shooting.

I hope so too... My whole point is that we cannot assume that he's a better shooter. That's all. Very excited to have him as a Husky!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If he just about outshined everybody with the highest level competition over the summer, and that has prompted his inclusion in the Dr J watch list, I'm not about to diss the guy. I wasn't overly high on getting him a year and a half ago, but, that was foolish on my part. He had one so so season as a freshman. He's got a really athletic build, great length, and is unquestionably better than he was as a freshman. I bet he shoots at least 43 percent from the field, and probably better with this season's improved guard play.
Also, add 1+ year of practices and leadership of KO.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I wouldn't put much stock on these watch list. Generally, they are not a great assessment of talent. Leave that to the Chiefs of the World.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Also, Durham was a shoe in McDonald's All American and top 20 player before he got injured twice. It appears he's going to play and not red shirt. I don't know what it's like to recover from two ACL's but if he can return to his old form by March watch out. From a skill point of view I think he's the most versatile and talented player on our roster. As always, health will be key this year. I'm really excited about the future of our young Huskies.

I know everybody is really high on him, but I'm pumping the breaks on Durham. Coming back from dual knee injuries is obviously a big deal, especially for a big guy. Not only will there be the requisite rust, but he's also lost two critical years of development; the growth in your game at that age is significant, so he's behind the eight ball there. While he was on the shelf, others in that age bracket were developing. People seem to poo poo that for some reason.

Reaction Score
I know everybody is really high on him, but I'm pumping the breaks on Durham. Coming back from dual knee injuries is obviously a big deal, especially for a big guy. Not only will there be the requisite rust, but he's also lost two critical years of development; the growth in your game at that age is significant, so he's behind the eight ball there. While he was on the shelf, others in that age bracket were developing. People seem to poo poo that for some reason.
I agree with everything you said, but if you look at his video highlight vs Tony Bradley who's at NC now it looked to me like he was ready to play in college back then, an that was two years ago! I mean if Harry Giles tore both ACLs an was still number 1 ranked player and still could possibly be the #1 pick next year, I have to think a guy ranked 20 or so behind him ( might not even have been that much if he didnt get hurt) will be able to produce for us this year.

Reaction Score
Larrier being inefficient at VCU had far less to do with VCU's system and more to do with him being a freshman.

I agree with the OP that Larrier and Durham are the two most intriguing pieces on the team heading into next year...there just seems to be a big gap there between their ceiling and floor. Larrier could be inconsistent or he could be Rodney Hood, it's hard to predict these things with talented transfers in their first year with a new school. With Durham, there is obviously the injury history.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think Durham is gonna be really good at some point, but my expectations are low for this season. Two years off means he's gonna have to knock off a lot of rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom