Laray Smith | The Boneyard

Laray Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Former Cuse writer Garcia claimed that Cuse was the leader for Smith's services, but read the article below, it seems like he's wide open.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high...american_9DaXbocheO60QwkkJoe3PI#ixzz22FyCSwUC

From the article: Smith wants to let people know his decision will be his own and not based on who is on the Orange roster. Also, he has no favorite at this time after it was reported that Syracuse, who he is considering, is an emerging leader.

Reaction Score
If track is big to him, I hope Laray Smith knows about the following

Past ten years:

Big East Men's Indoor Track and Field Champions

2002 Connecticut
2003 Notre Dame
2004 Connecticut
2005 Notre Dame
2006 Connecticut
2007 Notre Dame
2008 Connecticut
2009 Connecticut
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Connecticut
2012 Notre Dame

Big East Mens Outdoor Teack and Field Champions

2002 Connecticut
2003 Notre Dame
2004 Notre Dame
2005 Rutgers
2006 Notre Dame
2007 Louisville
2008 Notre Dame
2009 Notre Dame
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Connecticut
2012 Notre Dame

UCONN is a perfect fit for someone that wants to excel at track- and win.

Reaction Score
We have become very competitive with other top BE programs and other programs in other BCS conferences since 2010 right before we went to the Fiesta Bowl. Amazing to see this day has come.

Come to UConn, Laray!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If track is big to him, I hope Laray Smith knows about the following

Past ten years:

Big East Men's Indoor Track and Field Champions

2002 Connecticut
2003 Notre Dame
2004 Connecticut
2005 Notre Dame
2006 Connecticut
2007 Notre Dame
2008 Connecticut
2009 Connecticut
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Connecticut
2012 Notre Dame

Big East Mens Outdoor Teack and Field Champions

2002 Connecticut
2003 Notre Dame
2004 Notre Dame
2005 Rutgers
2006 Notre Dame
2007 Louisville
2008 Notre Dame
2009 Notre Dame
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Connecticut
2012 Notre Dame

UCONN is a perfect fit for someone that wants to excel at track- and win.

this is why i wonder how the cuse track program is getting interest from him? what am i missing? are they nasty at like his event or something? he should be ours to lose. wvu is full at rb and oregon is a reach. but for some reason i have not seen 1 positive thing about laray and uconn since the day ogundecko commited and told us that laray would 2. its been down hill from there for some reason media wise.

pj

Reaction Score
this is why i wonder how the cuse track program is getting interest from him? what am i missing? are they nasty at like his event or something? he should be ours to lose. wvu is full at rb and oregon is a reach. but for some reason i have not seen 1 positive thing about laray and uconn since the day ogundecko commited and told us that laray would 2. its been down hill from there for some reason media wise.

They had a hurdler win an NCAA championship last year (http://www.suathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=503). Might be OK in sprint events. But really, UConn should be better for track.

I don't understand the lack of positive vibes either, but hopefully as the season gets underway and he takes visits and sees how we play and Syracuse play, he'll get a better picture of who can advance his career the best. I think our offense will be very dynamic and it should be easy for him to see himself making plays.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
linky for new ny post writeup

this puts to rest the P doesn't let kids 2 sport talk...

Reaction Score
Sounds like he really, really wants to go to Oregon.

Yep. And who knows if they will offer.

I'll say this.....I've seen both UConn's and Cuse's football facilities. It's no competition. I mean not even close.

And I guess WVU doesn't already have enough RB's.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yep. And who knows if they will offer.

I'll say this.....I've seen both UConn's and Cuse's football facilities. It's no competition. I mean not even close.

And I guess WVU doesn't already have enough RB's.

Sounds like he really, really wants to go to Oregon.

-yea the kid dreams of oregon. who can blame him. best track ever and best style O in fball for him to play.

-yea wvu is hoarding rbs. smallwood might be the 3rd and marcellus is going to be a apb/wr there. i would think thats the same position that laray would play so who knows with wvu...i may cry tho if we lose 5 different rbs offered to one freaking school.

-cuse facilities are not horrible but they are not uconns, they are doing alot of work on thing up there the next couple years, we should be selling kids on our better facilities and not having to go to college while things are being worked on vs already done. stapleton gets it, lets see who else does.

-lastly, cuse has done a good job in nyc the past couple years, but nothing special. they had 1 monster recruit who its rumored lied about alot of offers but it was doen to uconn and cuse and they won. they got gus this year and who else? the nyp needs to gets the orange dick out of its mouth and realize that a sign haning off the 2nd tierat yankee stadium doesn't = a win on and field or court. uconn basketball runs nyc. there fball team hasn't beat uconn in a while. we have 3 kids from nyc in our class already this year. where the is that news?!?!?! i hope we land joyner, fuchs, hush(from nj at asa) and nyc media can stfu cause we run that .

Reaction Score
Might as well offer Clay now. Boggles my mind how deep we have to go every year with the RB recruits.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Might as well offer Clay now. Boggles my mind how deep we have to go every year with the RB recruits.

i'll wait for a little while on dez and hoover before i offer clay. i like clay, hes strong in the hole. but i wont be upset if we wait to long on others and he gets a bite elsewhere. next year there are 3rbs in this state alone already with bcs offers. i would be very happy landing all 3 or 2 of them and 1 or 2 of them being rbs for the future of this program.

pj

Reaction Score
i'll wait for a little while on dez and hoover before i offer clay. i like clay, hes strong in the hole. but i wont be upset if we wait to long on others and he gets a bite elsewhere. next year there are 3rbs in this state alone already with bcs offers. i would be very happy landing all 3 or 2 of them and 1 or 2 of them being rbs for the future of this program.

Yes, I'd agree. Go for a top back, if you miss take Clay late or wait until next year. It seems like he's willing to wait on UConn.

At worst we're stuck with McCombs, DeLorenzo, Williams, and Hyppolite, which is tolerable. If Clay can play S -- anyone know if he does? -- then that might make it less risky to offer him.

It's risky to be thin at a key spot but I think until UConn gets to a level where we can get a top player at every position every year, it may be necessary once in a while to let a spot thin out for a year, and put in a big recruiting effort at the position the next year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yes, I'd agree. Go for a top back, if you miss take Clay late or wait until next year. We can do fine for the next two years with McCombs, DeLorenzo, and Williams. If Clay can play S if he loses the running back competition, then I'd feel more comfortable giving him a scholarship.

It's risky to be thin at a key spot but I think until UConn gets to a level where we can get a top player at every position every year, it may be necessary once in a while to let a spot thin out for a year, and put in a big recruiting effort at the position the next year.

and i think this is what P is doing. he put out his 10ish offers to great rbs and if he strikes out then he will take one late possibly. that seems to be the plan and i hope it is. i have been happy about our class of 13 so far accept for the db position but that's a different story...

RB 2012:
lyle- rs soph
max- rs frosh
hyp- rs jr
jwill- frosh and sounds like he will play right away

RB 2013:
lyle- rs jr
max- rs soph
hyp- rs sr(if we take him back, he may have to earn yards for another year)
jwill- soph
recruit- laray, dez, hoover..... clay, beckford, odiah.....or no one. rs most likely if we do, i am perfectly fine with no one if we strike out(its wvu's fault)

RB 2014:
lyle rs sr(if he comes back, draft possibly)
max- rs jr(or has he moved positions...lets asume hes a rb)
jwill- jr
13 recruit- rs frosh if we got 1
2014-newsome as a apb(for the record i like cooper as a db i think and newsome as the rb...i want both...maybe newsome as a rb and cooper as a slot type...)
2014-outlaw as a tb(big back, powerful. will be a tough get for us, hope he values playing in ct)

Reaction Score
Don't over-react if we strike out during the summer. Would much rather wait through some of the season and see if there are any RB surprises. I just can't believe the issues UConn has with landing a top RB. Caulley, Brockingham, Brown, Dixon, Todman and McCombs were all All-BE players. I don't mind being the Denver Broncos of the college world and turning unknown backs into 1000 yard rushers, but it would be nice to land a nice back early in the process. Maybe next year with the great crop of CT backs. Lets just hope they have their grades together so we do not end up with another Dobbs situation.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'd agree. Go for a top back, if you miss take Clay late or wait until next year. It seems like he's willing to wait on UConn.

At worst we're stuck with McCombs, DeLorenzo, Williams, and Hyppolite, which is tolerable. If Clay can play S -- anyone know if he does? -- then that might make it less risky to offer him.

Clay is receiving strong interest from Penn St right now and he's very interested in them.

While it does bother me that we have not been able to land a big named RB, I'm not concerned about the position. I hope that Laray see's the light and comes to Uconn.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can fail to take a TB in this class. If Hyppolite chooses not to come back for a 5th year, even if we want him to, that would leave only three at a position where you need a backup and injuries occur.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can fail to take a TB in this class. If Hyppolite chooses not to come back for a 5th year, even if we want him to, that would leave only three at a position where you need a backup and injuries occur.

Foxx can convert back in a pinch.

I'm pretty sure nobody knew about Joe Williams until last December. Patience, these things work themselves out.

and even if we did have a RB commit now, things could change. One year ago we had Dobbs.

Reaction Score

I'm sure we'll have a couple of RB's in this class.

Reaction Score
I
Foxx can convert back in a pinch.

I'm pretty sure nobody knew about Joe Williams until last December. Patience, these things work themselves out.

and even if we did have a RB commit now, things could change. One year ago we had Dobbs.

I did not see we needed someone now. I said we needed someone in this class, as opposed to one of the earlier posts that said we didn't. I judge a class on 2/1. But when we judge it, we absolutely need a TB.

I'm assuming that if Foxx was the answer at TB we wouldn't have moved him to WR, where I don't anticipate seeing him much this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom