L. Robbins NY Post on BIG East split and it's name. | The Boneyard

L. Robbins NY Post on BIG East split and it's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Orlando, San Diego (assuming the league comes to its senses & all teams in for all sports), Memphis, Brooklyn. A very nice rotation. San Diego in February is gorgeous.

Reaction Score
Whatever the deal, we have to continue to push and earn more stripes. Ten national championships in basketball is very good. We just need to bolster our football program. Have to get rid of the coaches we have and show up at games! We are closer to the "big boy" table than anyone else.

Reaction Score
How can the C7 leave the Big East and take the name with it? Connecticut was an original member after all. What about our rights?

I really want us to join either the ACC or Big1G and feel we are best served by going with the C7 and putting together the best basketball conference possible while finding a temporary home for football. I just can't imagine the NBE forming anything while schools such as Uconn remain uncommitted. If we were truly committed to the NBE, then I would like to see the NBE retain the Big East trademark and go after the best basketball schools we can get. Many will say this is what ruined us before, but how can Uconn maintain its basketball program with the likes of what remains in the NBE? Traveling four zones is desperate and ridiculous. Instead, the NBE could have 16 FB members split in two divisions and have 7 divisional, 2 inter-divisional and 3 OOC games. This way the FB schools would only have to travel cross country once a year (not including the championship game). Then bring in 4-6 basketball schools to make up two basketball divisions including bringing in Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Either way, where ever Uconn lands so should also the Big East Logo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How can the C7 leave the Big East and take the name with it? Connecticut was an original member after all. What about our rights?

I really want us to join either the ACC or Big1G and feel we are best served by going with the C7 and putting together the best basketball conference possible while finding a temporary home for football. I just can't imagine the NBE forming anything while schools such as Uconn remain uncommitted. If we were truly committed to the NBE, then I would like to see the NBE retain the Big East trademark and go after the best basketball schools we can get. Many will say this is what ruined us before, but how can Uconn maintain its basketball program with the likes of what remains in the NBE? Traveling four zones is desperate and ridiculous. Instead, the NBE could have 16 FB members split in two divisions and have 7 divisional, 2 inter-divisional and 3 OOC games. This way the FB schools would only have to travel cross country once a year (not including the championship game). Then bring in 4-6 basketball schools to make up two basketball divisions including bringing in Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Either way, where ever Uconn lands so should also the Big East Logo.

They have 5 original members. The name is synonimous with basketball. It belongs in a basketball focused league. Why they hell would you want it in this new league where we and the FL schools are the only eastern schools? People are being petty at this point. I'd take the cash.

Reaction Score
Lots of value in the name. I just asked my non sports fan wife to name the big college sports conferences. She said "SEC, Big East um....um, how many are there"?

I would much rather operate under the Big East name than some new, never BCS league brand. A recognized name is much better.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Lots of value in the name. I just asked my non sports fan wife to name the big college sports conferences. She said "SEC, Big East um....um, how many are there"?

I would much rather operate under the Big East name than some new, never BCS league brand. A recognized name is much better.

This!

To anyone who thinks that a brand new name would be more effective than the name "Big East", even with the geographic oddities and recent spoiling, you need a serious wake-up call. There is still value in the name. There is still a commercial recognition. Any new name will be just as picked on, just as beat down, but with the exception that it would have no built up value. The name is still important, folks...

Reaction Score
The Atlantic 10 tournament in MSG called the BE Tournament is still the Atlantic 10 tournament. It was the product on the court that sold tickets and not the name.

Reaction Score
Orlando, San Diego (assuming the league comes to its senses & all teams in for all sports), Memphis, Brooklyn. A very nice rotation. San Diego in February is gorgeous.
san diego is an awesome sports town. they get like 6-8000 for major league baseball games. i think that population will be jumping out of their seats for uconn-san diego state football.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Looking forward to thrilling rivalry games between Wake and Syracuse. It must be cool to join a conference that most everyone else wants to leave. I hope WVU rips your suspension riddled team a new one.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to thrilling rivalry games between Wake and Syracuse. It must be cool to join a conference that most everyone else wants to leave. I hope WVU rips your suspension riddled team a new one.
Versus staying in the conference that everyone has left? I know, I know, if they had not left....

The BE was infected when ND joined and was diagnosed terminal without radical and untested treatments in 2002. The leadership failed to respond because everything still looked okay. The mere flesh wounds were easily covered with some pretty band aids and growing the hybrid beast into this huge monster but the underlying illness just kept being overlooked. ND saw that the virus worked and that the cash machine it benefited from was becoming useless and accelerated the death spiral by just shaking their head, offering very little pity and left for its next victim because, somehow, their beloved FB team rose to #1 again (my rant on ND being the weakest undefeated team ever will be held for another time). They had no need for the BE anymore, and the BE became the terminal patient with no hope of survival. Uconn is one of two healthy organs that remain from the BE that will be harvested and used in some future transplant. And the transplant recipient will be forever thankful that Uconn is there.

Reaction Score
The Atlantic 10 tournament in MSG called the BE Tournament is still the Atlantic 10 tournament. It was the product on the court that sold tickets and not the name.

Yep. Some people think they will somehow magically fill those seats that were filled every March with Pitt, Cuse and UCONN fans.

Reaction Score
They have 5 original members. The name is synonimous with basketball. It belongs in a basketball focused league. Why they hell would you want it in this new league where we and the FL schools are the only eastern schools? People are being petty at this point. I'd take the cash.

Because we don't know the makeup of the new league. It could have more eastern/atlantic teams than the C7, because the C7 is looking at schools like Creighton and Gonzaga, when they already have Marquette and DePaul. They could have 4 members west of the football schools most western member (Memphis).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Post lord and taylor fun i only shop at macys now.

Reaction Score
Actually 6 of the 9 basketball schools are in the Eastern time zone. I believe the Big East name is a huge point for Connecticut. The Big East was not dissolved so I don't know why the attorney would think there is a winnable lawsuit for the C7. We should keep the name and rebuild it ourselves. Why let the C7 do that? Force SJU and Gtown to come back to the fold. Leave out the others. Add Butler and and VCU and we have a damned good conference for our basketball programs. As for FB, I really don't see a "Big America" conference coming to be. Too complicated and the TV bucks not there .... unless something was to be built using the Big East brand (agreed UconnDan).

Reaction Score
wvu is probably due, considering we have won 2 in a row and pasted them last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom