Kyla shout out by Geno | The Boneyard

Kyla shout out by Geno

Reaction Score
+1

Could easily have fallen off the cliff after last year, and, with Batouly coming in, could have felt marginalized, but she got into fantastic shape and has just kept plugging. Her mom is obviously a real fighter, too, and I think Kyla will continue to surprise to the upside. A gritty, model kid who deserves all the best.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have commented before that while Kyla is not the most athletic kid, she's the daughter of a basketball coach, so she gets it. Geno basically indicated as much in his post game comments. Kyla will continue to earn minutes and she gives UConn one more viable front court option.

Reaction Score
+1

Could easily have fallen off the cliff after last year, and, with Batouly coming in, could have felt marginalized, but she got into fantastic shape and has just kept plugging. Her mom is obviously a real fighter, too, and I think Kyla will continue to surprise to the upside. A gritty, model kid who deserves all the best.
At the moment, Kyla looks far better than Batouly. Faster, better conditioned, etc. But that also figures because Camara has been sitting due to injury.

Reaction Score
Loved his comments about finding something she’s good at and focusing on that. He said she gets it. He did say that this and last years freshman classes are behind others they’ve had.

That did not feel good to hear but I think he might have been inferring that some of the freshman were pulling down the aggregate rating of this group. I can't imagine that Megan was being lumped in with the nonperformers.

Reaction Score
Kyla has a lot of heart but playing for Uconn she is a 20/20/20 player. She would do well against the competition that Natalie is playing against this year!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Kyla has a lot of heart but playing for Uconn she is a 20/20/20 player. She would do well against the competition that Natalie is playing against this year!

On one hand, I think you're right: she'd be a more dominate, prominent, and significant player in a weaker conference. On the other, as I've discussed before, somebody's gotta be the depth, the 8th/9th/10th+ player on a powerful team. The downside is, as you suggest, playing time will be less. The upside is, big crowds, good travel, television time, conference titles, Final Fours, and, quite possibly, National Championship rings.

Not everybody values playing time over these other positives; some do, some don't.

I guess what I'm saying is, the decision to be a "supporting actor" for UConn instead of a "lead actor" for a Richmond, or George Mason, or whomever, isn't necessarily a poor reflection on the heart or fire of the player. It's certainly to UConn's advantage, to have quality, motivated depth that accepts and embraces the role.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Her mom's a coach, and, after UConn and maybe some pro ball, she'll be in a terrific position to be one herself.
Kyla's future is in coaching, not playing in the WNBA, and I think she knows it. The best place to learn is at UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Loved his comments about finding something she’s good at and focusing on that. He said she gets it. He did say that this and last years freshman classes are behind others they’ve had.
I thought that was the case--freshmen struggling more than normal. Crystal and Meg are the obvious exceptions.

Reaction Score
At the moment, Kyla looks far better than Batouly. Faster, better conditioned, etc. But that also figures because Camara has been sitting due to injury.

II get the feeling that Camara is still hurting from that serious knee injury.

Reaction Score
On one hand, I think you're right: she'd be a more dominate, prominent, and significant player in a weaker conference. On the other, as I've discussed before, somebody's gotta be the depth, the 8th/9th/10th+ player on a powerful team. The downside is, as you suggest, playing time will be less. The upside is, big crowds, good travel, television time, conference titles, Final Fours, and, quite possibly, National Championship rings.

Not everybody values playing time over these other positives; some do, some don't.

I guess what I'm saying is, the decision to be a "supporting actor" for UConn instead of a "lead actor" for a Richmond, or George Mason, or whomever, isn't necessarily a poor reflection on the heart or fire of the player. It's certainly to UConn's advantage, to have quality, motivated depth that accepts and embraces the role.

But more players of late are deciding that they want to play. Over the last 5-6 years 7 players have moved on, and found places where they have been able to either start, or at least get plenty of playing time. Certainly many have stayed(one N.J. Gatorade player of the year that I really would have loved to see play more, somewhere), and I respect their decision to stay, though not entirely understanding it. I know we are not supposed to discuss this on this board, so my apologies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom