Kyla Irwin's interesting stats... | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin's interesting stats...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Kyla.jpeg

To my untrained eye, Kyla Irwin has been the victim of several phantom foul calls. Then I saw this photo with Kyla clearly fouling the Cincinnati player by grabbing both hands with her waist and bicep... :rolleyes:

Kyla's surprise start in the 2nd half against Cincinnati led to her best stat line this season. In 18 minutes of play, Irwin scored 5 points, grabbed 5 rebounds and handed out 5 assists. She added a blocked shot and a steal to round out her finest game of the season. She seemed comfortable playing with 4 starters and appears to understand Geno's offensive and defensive schemes. Her stats for playing just 175 minutes in 19 games are what you would expect, with a few strange numbers:

Regular stats:
1. Points scored 52 or 2.7 per game.
2. Three-point shooting = 4-15 or 27%.
3. Inside the arc scoring = 19-28 or 68%.
4. Assists = 13, turnovers = 10. Ratio is 1.30

Now the weird numbers:
1. Free throw shooting = 2-7 or 29%. :oops:
2. Rebounds = 23, but only player on the team with more offensive rebounds (15) than defensive (8).
3. Fouls = 22 (same as Megan Walker, 3 more than Katie Lou in 300 fewer minutes)
4. Blocked shots = 1 (Lou has 2, but so does Mikayla.) :eek:

Being the daughter of two basketball coaches has benefits. Kyla has great basketball knowledge and apparently is very "coachable." Her fitness looks good and Geno seems inclined to use her to occasionally spell UConn's front line. Hopefully, just the beginning of a productive 2nd half of the season. :)

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
It seems to me Kyla must be fouling at the scorers table before entering the game so the refs whistle her for two quick ones as soon as she is in the game!! It is the only way I can explain some of the calls she has had against her. Some of the calls against her she has earned, but most I've been a bit baffled.

Reaction Score
Great pic and way to highlight some of the calls that goes against her.

I think the time she is getting now is more of an indication of the more significant role she will have next year after our two seniors graduate. I hope she continues to get 15-18 mins but in big games I doubt she even gets 5 when it comes to this year. I do believe she belongs and wish she did get at least 10 mins in important games if nothing more to give the starters rest but also build her up for next year. Despite being somewhat reserved on the court she seems to carry this no nonsense attitude that we will need next year, again when Gabby and Kia leave.

Reaction Score
rooting a lot for her. Thinking Batouly can be a very serious presence as well under the boards. Clearly, with Z's propensity to foul, UConn will really need help next year underneath.

Reaction Score
I see Kyla as a blue collar player. She quietly gets things done and fills the role that Geno asks of her. Even better, that she really seems to love when her teammates shine. Love that! She is one of my favorites.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 28347

To my untrained eye, Kyla Irwin has been the victim of several phantom foul calls. Then I saw this photo with Kyla clearly fouling the Cincinnati player by grabbing both hands with her waist and bicep... :rolleyes:

Kyla's surprise start in the 2nd half against Cincinnati led to her best stat line this season. In 18 minutes of play, Irwin scored 5 points, grabbed 5 rebounds and handed out 5 assists. She added a blocked shot and a steal to round out her finest game of the season. She seemed comfortable playing with 4 starters and appears to understand Geno's offensive and defensive schemes. Her stats for playing just 175 minutes in 19 games are what you would expect, with a few strange numbers:

Regular stats:
1. Points scored 52 or 2.7 per game.
2. Three-point shooting = 4-15 or 27%.
3. Inside the arc scoring = 19-28 or 68%.
4. Assists = 13, turnovers = 10. Ratio is 1.30

Now the weird numbers:
1. Free throw shooting = 2-7 or 29%. :oops:
2. Rebounds = 23, but only player on the team with more offensive rebounds (15) than defensive (8).
3. Fouls = 22 (same as Megan Walker, 3 more than Katie Lou in 300 fewer minutes)
4. Blocked shots = 1 (Lou has 2, but so does Mikayla.) :eek:

Being the daughter of two basketball coaches has benefits. Kyla has great basketball knowledge and apparently is very "coachable." Her fitness looks good and Geno seems inclined to use her to occasionally spell UConn's front line. Hopefully, just the beginning of a productive 2nd half of the season. :)
Head bang
Go Huskies..!!
I believe the bicep hand grab/hold is a point of emphasis this year.Head bang

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...so there's a conspiracy theory being propagated that these fouls are phantom? Stop, just please stop. No, there is no conspiracy against Kyla by the refs when she comes in the game. Saying a "star player" gets favorable treatment ahem-A'ja Wilson, ahem, is one thing, but to state here that a substitute is being unfairly targeted with fouls? Come on, really? The shear number people who are saying this astounds me. Baffling, truly baffling. Please be more objective, we're better than this...

Reaction Score
I agree, she certainly had her best game on Sunday.
Lets remember a few things. Most of her minutes come in games that have already been determined. Against the below avg, talent of the AAC anyones numbers will be improved.
If she started and played significant minutes against teams like Texas and ND, would be more indicative of future opportunities based on performance

Reaction Score
rooting a lot for her. Thinking Batouly can be a very serious presence as well under the boards. Clearly, with Z's propensity to foul, UConn will really need help next year underneath.
Ur right on with Batouly. She has something most forwards and centers wish they had. Like what DeJaun Blair of Pitt had. But she’s much nicer. Hope we get to see it someday when she’s injury free.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
...so there's a conspiracy theory being propagated that these fouls are phantom? Stop, just please stop. No, there is no conspiracy against Kyla by the refs when she comes in the game. Saying a "star player" gets favorable treatment ahem-A'ja Wilson, ahem, is one thing, but to state here that a substitute is being unfairly targeted with fouls? Come on, really? The shear number people who are saying this astounds me. Baffling, truly baffling. Please be more objective, we're better than this...
Come on really?? I don't see anyone saying there is a conspiracy. Just some seemingly weird calls. Talk about hyperbole. Geez.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Kyla just has that rough and tumble type game that leads to foul calls when she is in. She's not the most graceful, so even when she does get position on defense it appears more like a foul then when someone like Lou does it.
I really love her game though and she has been a pleasant surprise this year. I hope Molly can make the same sort of progress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom