Kyla Irwin Looks to Contribute Any Way She Can | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin Looks to Contribute Any Way She Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is why Kyla Irwin will be successful in the days, months and years to come at UConn:

"I definitely have to work on defense, staying low and keeping my hands up," Irwin said. "I just have to keep my player in front of me all the time and keep them out of the middle. I'm working on it all."

Irwin was 4-for-5 from the floor and three of her rebounds were on the offensive end. She got the Huskies into triple figures by finishing off a nice pass from classmate Crystal Dangerfield.

It was nothing spectacular and it was an exhibition game, but Irwin showed she could do the kind of things that will help the Huskies win games during the upcoming regular season.

"This is a great time for me to show the coaches that I want to compete and play," Irwin said. "I'm excited about the opportunity and the fact that we need someone to step up in the post. My teammates have been very encouraging and lead by example by working hard every day."

"Before the game I was like, 'This is game day I am so excited to get out there on the floor,' " Irwin said. "But once I'm out there, I think my nerves just settled. I just let the game come to me. It was good, because everyone here has your back. It was a good time.

"Coach is going to put the best people out there so I just have to keep working hard. Whether it is because I'm 6-2 or because I am working hard, it is all the same to me."

"It was always a dream of mine to play at a school like this," Irwin said. "I remember saying to my fourth-grade teacher that I wanted to play at an amazing school like UConn. And here I am how many years later. It has been a great process."

Reaction Score
This is why Kyla Irwin will be successful in the days, months and years to come at UConn:

"I definitely have to work on defense, staying low and keeping my hands up," Irwin said. "I just have to keep my player in front of me all the time and keep them out of the middle. I'm working on it all."

Irwin was 4-for-5 from the floor and three of her rebounds were on the offensive end. She got the Huskies into triple figures by finishing off a nice pass from classmate Crystal Dangerfield.

It was nothing spectacular and it was an exhibition game, but Irwin showed she could do the kind of things that will help the Huskies win games during the upcoming regular season.

"This is a great time for me to show the coaches that I want to compete and play," Irwin said. "I'm excited about the opportunity and the fact that we need someone to step up in the post. My teammates have been very encouraging and lead by example by working hard every day."

"Before the game I was like, 'This is game day I am so excited to get out there on the floor,' " Irwin said. "But once I'm out there, I think my nerves just settled. I just let the game come to me. It was good, because everyone here has your back. It was a good time.

"Coach is going to put the best people out there so I just have to keep working hard. Whether it is because I'm 6-2 or because I am working hard, it is all the same to me."

"It was always a dream of mine to play at a school like this," Irwin said. "I remember saying to my fourth-grade teacher that I wanted to play at an amazing school like UConn. And here I am how many years later. It has been a great process."
She does look like a player who will help. Let's not forget; Coach Auriemma said, " we are going to love these kids." And, I think, we have sufficient evidence that he knows what he speaks. That goes for Molly and Crystal as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She does look like a player who will help. Let's not forget; Coach Auriemma said, " we are going to love these kids." And, I think, we have sufficient evidence that he knows what he speaks. That goes for Molly and Crystal as well.

IMHO, I think all 3 freshmen will get a substantial amount of playing time in every game this season. These 3 are very special. I look forward to watching their growth & development over the next 4 years. The more they play, the more they'll play. :cool:

Reaction Score
I have to admit Geno has done excellent job to recruit those three.
Crystal will show us her ability in the next few games.
And, Kyla and Molly were really underrated in their high school years.

Reaction Score
IMHO, I think all 3 freshmen will get a substantial amount of playing time in every game this season. These 3 are very special. I look forward to watching their growth & development over the next 4 years. The more they play, the more they'll play. :cool:
"The more they play, the more they'll play". Boom!! Are you related to John Madden?? LOL.

Reaction Score
The more they play the more they'll play actually makes sense to me.I guess you have to assume that the extra floor time makes them better than they would be if they didn't get on the floor very much.

Reaction Score

AS Geno probably said to her---nice beginning --now build on it. The only direction this kid , and 4 others, can go is upwards.

Reaction Score
"The more they play, the more they'll play". Boom!! Are you related to John Madden?? LOL.
'

The statement is a two edge sword! You play because Geno thinks you are good enough and working hard enough to get PT. Your experience while playing makes you a better player--then you play harder--and Geno likes what he sees--
i.E. The more they play, the more they'll play!! Easy!

Reaction Score
I have to admit Geno has done excellent job to recruit those three.
Crystal will show us her ability in the next few games.
And, Kyla and Molly were really underrated in their high school years.

Keep saying that---I don't mind reading that a dozen times a day.

Reaction Score
Look whom UConn is featuring on their own website tonight:
UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

what's especially impressive about her comments in the article is how mature and self-possessed Kyla is. She's clearly someone who listens hard to what the coaches say and internalizes their advice. We all saw her high school films where she had a very high motor. She could well have a fantastic 4 years at UConn and has the potential to be a legendary player. Not bad for a "blue collar" kid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
\
Obviously--you know of what you write--
Geno only recruits those he thinks will fit in, are very talented, fundamental sound, etc--he has made some serious mistakes--no need to list them--but as you point out this group does not appear to have a mistake among them. I have great expectation for the three---I thought Crystal was going to be the only STAND OUT--as usual I am wrong--all three shall be.

Reaction Score
Look whom UConn is featuring on their own website tonight:
UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

what's especially impressive about her comments in the article is how mature and self-possessed Kyla is. She's clearly someone who listens hard to what the coaches say and internalizes their advice. We all saw her high school films where she had a very high motor. She could well have a fantastic 4 years at UConn and has the potential to be a legendary player. Not bad for a "blue collar" kid.[/QUOTE

Bags --you always post the facts--Blue Collar is good--there are Blue Collar (BC) who just do the Utility stuff--then there is the BC that does that and excels --I feel Kyla maybe the latter. Apparently so do you.

Reaction Score
Story on the freshman's play so far..

Kyla Irwin looks to keep up pace

Interesting that only by carefully watching tape of the IUP game was it obvious what Kyla was doing. If you watch her high school games, you'll see her apparently disappear into a mass of humanity under the boards, then suddenly pop up to get the rebound or to put the ball in the hoop. Note also how she runs to the basket, lets the offense settle, then jumps to the 3 point line where she is deadly. This young lady is just what the doctor ordered--for this season and beyond. Morgan in the making?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not trying to be debbie downer on this thread, and I like Irwin a lot and and Bent has made a good first impression (really did not watch any tape of HS with her.) But ... there is a reason these two were not highly rated coming out of HS and it was not only because they didn't get a lot of exposure. Comparing Irwin to Tuck and Bent to Bird or Faris is a recipe for disappointment. Expecting them to be those kinds of 'star' players is too much pressure. Hoping they will become the kind of complementary piece every good team needs is much more reasonable.

While they have some different strengths - Irwin providing the kind of quality minutes that say Kaili McLaren provided is much more reasonable.
Again with somewhat different skill sets - Bent providing the kind of hard nosed dedication of a Mel Thomas would be a better model.

I expect them to both be very smart and capable players, and fan and boneyard favorites which is good enough for me.

Reaction Score
I am not trying to be debbie downer on this thread, and I like Irwin a lot and and Bent has made a good first impression (really did not watch any tape of HS with her.) But ... there is a reason these two were not highly rated coming out of HS and it was not only because they didn't get a lot of exposure. Comparing Irwin to Tuck and Bent to Bird or Faris is a recipe for disappointment. Expecting them to be those kinds of 'star' players is too much pressure. Hoping they will become the kind of complementary piece every good team needs is much more reasonable.

While they have some different strengths - Irwin providing the kind of quality minutes that say Kaili McLaren provided is much more reasonable.
Again with somewhat different skill sets - Bent providing the kind of hard nosed dedication of a Mel Thomas would be a better model.

I expect them to both be very smart and capable players, and fan and boneyard favorites which is good enough for me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From the time Kyla verbaled I have watched a rather extensive YouTube library on her. I felt right along that she was being damned with faint praise by some. Coaches' kid (yes, mom and dad), gym rat from toddler days, an absolutely solid game and a tireless worker. I don't see her backing down from anybody in the paint, she's all but ambidextrous and she has a 3 ball that goes up quick. That is a nice article by Adamec on Kyla.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Comparing Irwin to Tuck and Bent to Bird or Faris is a recipe for disappointment. Expecting them to be those kinds of 'star' players is too much pressure. Hoping they will become the kind of complementary piece every good team needs is much more reasonable...

Based on what I saw the other day, I would split the difference (between real stars and real useful players) ...certainly in the case of Bent, whom I really liked.

I understand your reticence to be overly enthusiastic Uc...and the first couple of games have the potential of being real downers, but the poise and skills of these two seemed considerable in their initial outing.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I like the analogy of Molly Bent to Mel Thomas. As I recall, Mel was more highly rated coming out of high school, but Molly is taller, and she looks sturdier and significantly faster. Their appetite for physical play seems to be similar. I doubt if Molly will be as good a 3-point shooter as Mel, but I could be wrong about that. However, let's not forget what a big contribution Mel made in her junior and senior years. She was getting 30+ minutes per game on a Top 5 team before her injury, and was playing more than adequate defense despite being small and slow. Remember that in one early-season game against Stanford, even with Tina / Maya / Renee on the team, the offense only really worked when Mel was in the game.

Kyla is much, much more mobile than Kaili ever was. She probably isn't as good a passer yet as Kaili was, but she should have similar strength as a rebounder and should be an equally good scorer. Geno won't have to play a zone when Kyla is in the game (as he did with Kaili and which might still be necessary with Natalie).

Still, if the total contribution of Molly+Kyla is equal or greater than Mel+Kaili, UConn should be very well situated at the 2 and 4 positions for the next four years. After this year, however, Kyla will have to contend for minutes with Batouly Camara, and I'm not sure she will win that battle. Molly will face a raft of competition from next year's freshmen, whether or not the diva in Virginia graces us with her presence. Molly may be a bench player, but a critical one, for her entire time at UConn. Or she may win a starting slot anyway, as Mel did against athletically superior competition.

Reaction Score
Too soon to say how much Irwin and Bent will contribute to the team, I expect they will both get some playing time this season and hopefully they will establish themselves as reliable players..............next year could be a different story with five new players, at least two of whom I think will be starters (Stevens, Camara)
............best case scenario is that their good play convinces Geno to go deeper from the bench then he has in the past

Reaction Score
Interesting that only by carefully watching tape of the IUP game was it obvious what Kyla was doing. If you watch her high school games, you'll see her apparently disappear into a mass of humanity under the boards, then suddenly pop up to get the rebound or to put the ball in the hoop. Note also how she runs to the basket, lets the offense settle, then jumps to the 3 point line where she is deadly. This young lady is just what the doctor ordered--for this season and beyond. Morgan in the making?
Yo huskyd - I think you have it right when you say, "Morgan in the making?" We all know no one will be Morgan, however, Morgan would be the goal for Irwin. Yes, similar size and skill set. Smart! So let's play match-up game--
Lou would follow the path to Stewie type p[lay (offensive for sure--defense not as much)
Danger is in the mold of Mo Fo sure.
Bent seems to follow the Bird trajectory.
How many BY posters remember when Geno said (last season)-- Gabby could lead the team to victory if she improves. This past exhibition game Gabby was a "Maya Moore dynamo" doing it all. Smaller, not the 3 ball yet, but high action and take over power.
Could Butler be a po boy version of Stef? Don't know!
Those were the easy ones. I am throwing it over to youse guys on Collier and Nurse.

Reaction Score
Hey Ucity - We are not comparing any of the players to the greats--as of this moment. I am (and others) just see a similar style and path to greatness. Obviously, Irwin would not emulate Mo or Nurse as much as she would Morgan. NO ONE will be another Morgan, but players can learn from and grow in that path of skill and greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom