Kyla at the post? | The Boneyard

Kyla at the post?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
One person who might have been overlooked in the BY’s conjecture about 2018 starters is Kyla. She’s tall, strong, smart, and very dedicated. She won’t get you a load of points, but the thought of her at the high post passing the ball is, at the least, interesting. She’s a good passer, and unselfish. Maybe not the ideal post, but she’d offer good effort for her minutes. Yes, she needs to avoid frequent fouling, but she can play. Let the other four take up the role of scorer. Why not?

Reaction Score
Kyla can score. She was always good for 5 or 6 points and a three here and there in her limited floor time.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
She's 6'2" and hasn't demonstrated an ability to jump more than a few inches off the floor. She may be serviceable for posts her size or an inch or two taller but big girls will likely light her up, if she doesn't foul out in the meantime.

No disrespect but smarts, hard work and dedication will only get you so far. Her role will be to give the starting post(s) a 4-5 minute blow from time to time.

BTW, I like the kid. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One person who might have been overlooked in the BY’s conjecture about 2018 starters is Kyla. She’s tall, strong, smart, and very dedicated. She won’t get you a load of points, but the thought of her at the high post passing the ball is, at the least, interesting. She’s a good passer, and unselfish. Maybe not the ideal post, but she’d offer good effort for her minutes. Yes, she needs to avoid frequent fouling, but she can play. Let the other four take up the role of scorer. Why not?
Because eventually Kyla will have to defend in the post, rebound outside of her area & rotate over to the weakside to help. All of which requires lateral quickness that Kyla either does not have or has never demonstrated.

Reaction Score
I can see her doing the high post distribution for a few minutes a game to gove breaks but maybe not for long stretches. I really like the thought though and I think it is possible.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Because eventually Kyla will have to defend in the post, rebound outside of her area & rotate over to the weakside to help. All of which requires lateral quickness that Kyla either does not have or has never demonstrated.
In a nutshell. So the answer is, for brief substitutions and or switches and against a specific opponent(s). But as a starter? Nope.

Reaction Score
Interesting conjecture! I am assuming you are doing this to give Kyla equal time and credit of which I approve. A coaches daughter should have a good handle on the game. She's tough and rough and gives every second in the game. There is a medium-sized word that gets tossed around without too much understanding of its meaning: Talent. Hard work and effort, which kyla gives by the bushel can make up for some God-given talent.

Reaction Score
She's 6'2" and hasn't demonstrated an ability to jump more than a few inches off the floor. She may be serviceable for posts her size or an inch or two taller but big girls will likely light her up, if she doesn't foul out in the meantime.

No disrespect but smarts, hard work and dedication will only get you so far. Her role will be to give the starting post(s) a 4-5 minute blow from time to time.

BTW, I like the kid. :)
Like minds falling in the same trap. Every Uconn fan has a soft spot in their hearts for Kyla and Molly. Each game they have played everyone (ok, nearly everyone) cheered them and hoped beyond hope each game was going to be the break out game. They are truly loved by Uconn fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like minds falling in the same trap. Every Uconn fan has a soft spot in their hearts for Kyla and Molly. Each game they have played everyone (ok, nearly everyone) cheered them and hoped beyond hope each game was going to be the break out game. They are truly loved by Uconn fans.
I expect both to meaningfully contribute. Probably not as starters though.

Reaction Score

Kayla is a very tough and hard working likable kid. But she will only be a good bench player. And i'm pulling for her to improve and play meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
I expect both to meaningfully contribute. Probably not as starters though.
I don't disagree with your thoughts. You'd have to define "meaningful" for me to disagree.
Molly was a very good HS player and by all reports extremely intelligent and with an excellent BB IQ. She and Kyla would have to had made major BB steps forward to get 10 minutes or even 5 minutes outside of clean up time in a game against ND, USC, Oregon (st), Baylor i.e anyone in the top 15. Would I just love to have them both make me eat these words--you bet, I shall cheer them loudly every minute they play. If every single person on this years team actually would compete for PT in big games --I 'd be in pig heaven and you could hang me with a new rope, cuz that dog could hunt,

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Teams biggest deficit is last seasons graduation of toughness...

Geno will start talking about this in a month or so...right after talk about starters is finished...

then December will be about teams lack of execution on both sides of the ball and especially in transition..

Then January it will be unwillingness to make plays playing scared...etc...this is his script..

In the end we will have a hard working successful team that we can all be very proud to be fans of and will challenge for Championship...

Reaction Score
It is an interesting idea and would seem worthy of trying. My concerns are : she doesn't jump well or have particularly "long" arms. She is also not unusually athletic and, as a result, doesn't move that well or show really good hands. Her shooting last year, under or near the hoop, was awful. Too many blown "put-aways/lay-ins." Her strength was more from long distance. Doesn't mean she can't get better in a new role. Again, I think is an excellent thought. My over-all fear is that you can't make silk purses out of .....you know the rest.

Reaction Score
I hope she can come in and set good screens and give some good fouls. Not planning on getting much more. She is a great teammate (from what I can see) on the bench with her positivity & cheering. More of that will be just fine.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Perhaps what was orbiting inside my cranium was that Kyla could eventually become a slightly shorter version of Big Mama Stef. She checks many, but not all, of the necessary boxes. I just like this kid. Heck, I like them all and want them to find success.

Reaction Score
Perhaps what was orbiting inside my cranium was that Kyla could eventually become a slightly shorter version of Big Mama Stef. She checks many, but not all, of the necessary boxes. I just like this kid. Heck, I like them all and want them to find success.
Yeah that would be great. For a few minutes at a time, run the high post decision making, take a 3, set a screen, and take up some space on D. That qould be great and get like 6 pts and 5 rebounds a game.

Reaction Score
They are delightful, smart and gracious young ladies. We all hope for a Hollywood ending for them. And they would be amazing additions to many teams....and would likely start for anyone in the AAC except UCONN. But they have not shown consistency of value so far. Even in garbage time. Maybe this season they will.

Reaction Score
They are delightful, smart and gracious young ladies. We all hope for a Hollywood ending for them. And they would be amazing additions to many teams....and would likely start for anyone in the AAC except UCONN. But they have not shown consistency of value so far. Even in garbage time. Maybe this season they will.[/QUOT
One oldtimer to another, I always enjoy your thoughts and opinions, here is something akin to your thoughts.
There are about 340 plus or minus 24 College teams I dare say 297 plus a few minus 50 that would love to have Molly, Irwin, Coombs, Gordon on their starting five. If just playing the game was important to them it seems they would have opted for one of those other schools
Uconn as a bench player of one of the starting 5 has a mystique few other or any teams may enjoy. {{ Hey family---I'm a Uconn player=== and those families know they may only get a glimpse of their loved one--but when they do and that UCONN is seen on their chest-the families bust buttons with pride. Just my poorly state opinion.

Reaction Score
BigBird--great thought on some very nice kids. Every fan that posts something about any one of OUR kids loves them from the tippity top to the last splinter on the bench. These are opinions some facts and some emotions but love them we ALL do.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They are delightful, smart and gracious young ladies. We all hope for a Hollywood ending for them. And they would be amazing additions to many teams....and would likely start for anyone in the AAC except UCONN. But they have not shown consistency of value so far. Even in garbage time. Maybe this season they will.
The last few games last season the bench showed some improvement during garbage time, as you call it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom