Kudos for Bobby | The Boneyard

Kudos for Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched part of the game against Miami (AKA Florida) on Monday. In an interview, Bobby indicated that he is trying to get the Sox to think 180 instead of 90. He explained that he felt that the Sox' base-runners would think in terms of one base (90) feet on a single but he wanted them to always be thinking two bases (180 feet). If they were thinking two bases they would be running harder to the next base and be able to take advantage of any fielder who took it easy in getting to the ball or mis-handled the ball. During the game David Ortiz and Salty were able to take two bases on singles. Adrian Gonzalez tried too but was thrown out on a perfect relay. I don't think I ever saw him try to go first to third on a single. Terry would have told him not to try because he might get hurt.

He also has told David Ortiz that he wants him to play first base. Although he is primarily the DH he is on the roster as a first basemen and Bobby wants the flexibility to use him there. Terry would have been afraid the David would get hurt.

He did another thing in the Miami game that I liked. In the ninth inning of a tie game, when the first batter got on base, he brought in a pinch-runner who can fly (can't remember his name). This change put pressure on the defense and made the shortstop and second-baseman play closer to the bag. It also forced the first baseman to hold the runner and the catcher to call for more fastballs. Despite all this, the hitter drove a hanging slider over the fence and the Sox won.

He is also forcing the Sox to practice relays and making the outfielders work on their arm strength. The pitchers are learning how to hold the runners on. I like what I see and hear so far.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I watched part of the game against Miami (AKA Florida) on Monday. In an interview, Bobby indicated that he is trying to get the Sox to think 180 instead of 90. He explained that he felt that the Sox' base-runners would think in terms of one base (90) feet on a single but he wanted them to always be thinking two bases (180 feet). If they were thinking two bases they would be running harder to the next base and be able to take advantage of any fielder who took it easy in getting to the ball or mis-handled the ball. During the game David Ortiz and Salty were able to take two bases on singles. Adrian Gonzalez tried too but was thrown out on a perfect relay. I don't think I ever saw him try to go first to third on a single. Terry would have told him not to try because he might get hurt.

He also has told David Ortiz that he wants him to play first base. Although he is primarily the DH he is on the roster as a first basemen and Bobby wants the flexibility to use him there. Terry would have been afraid the David would get hurt.

He did another thing in the Miami game that I liked. In the ninth inning of a tie game, when the first batter got on base, he brought in a pinch-runner who can fly (can't remember his name). This change put pressure on the defense and made the shortstop and second-baseman play closer to the bag. It also forced the first baseman to hold the runner and the catcher to call for more fastballs. Despite all this, the hitter drove a hanging slider over the fence and the Sox won.

He is also forcing the Sox to practice relays and making the outfielders work on their arm strength. The pitchers are learning how to hold the runners on. I like what I see and hear so far.

So when Papi, Youk and Gonzalez are hurt taking an extra base will you still like the idea?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So a player shouldn't take an extra base because he might get injured?

Really, you are asking that? Fast players should go for the extra base. It's part of their game. Big and slow players shouldn't.

If you want Papi, Gonzalez and Youk pushing themselves on the basebaths for an extra base, great. I can see several injuries on the horizon.

Reaction Score

Good for you guys....I'm really looking forward to watching those 3 guys try to take 2 on a single.....hell one of'em doesn't even run to first unless it's a HR, certtainly not on a groundout......guessing the Salty and papi "singles" were all the way to the wall, I've seen them run they weren't legit singles for sure......a PR in the 9th? Wow, he's an up and coming coach for sure..........relays? wow bet Tito never did that....and of course suddenly because Bobby is there Jacoby will have a gun and be able to reach second on 2 hops instead of 4 or 5.......man with Bobby at the helm and this new style baseball stuff they should be thinking "162"............

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, when did Tito ever say he didn't want his players running hard because they would get hurt?

Reaction Score

So when Papi, Youk and Gonzalez are hurt taking an extra base will you still like the idea?
Bobby had better not been talking aabout anyone but Jacoby and Pedroia going for two. Papi is lucky if he can run 90 feet.

Reaction Score
Really, you are asking that? Fast players should go for the extra base. It's part of their game. Big and slow players shouldn't.

If you want Papi, Gonzalez and Youk pushing themselves on the basebaths for an extra base, great. I can see several injuries on the horizon.

You run hard to every base so that you put yourself in the position where you could take an extra base if the opportunity presents itself, whether it be a ball in the gap that the outfielder is taking too long to get, or a bobble, etc.
You don't "NOT" run hard because you're big and slow and you figure you have no shot to take an extra base because of that. And you certainly don't run hard because you're worried about a perfectly healthy hamstring getting injured. Now if you're nursing an injury, that changes things.

Reaction Score
Good for you guys....I'm really looking forward to watching those 3 guys try to take 2 on a single.....hell one of'em doesn't even run to first unless it's a HR, certtainly not on a groundout......guessing the Salty and papi "singles" were all the way to the wall, I've seen them run they weren't legit singles for sure......a PR in the 9th? Wow, he's an up and coming coach for sure..........relays? wow bet Tito never did that....and of course suddenly because Bobby is there Jacoby will have a gun and be able to reach second on 2 hops instead of 4 or 5.......man with Bobby at the helm and this new style baseball stuff they should be thinking "162"............
Have you watched a lot of Red Sox games the past few years and the incredible lack of fundamentals on the basepaths and in the field this team has displayed?
I'm guessing no.
Gosh, how dare a manager teach - or re-teach - fundamentals to a team that has exhibited none of them, particularly down the stretch last year.
Tito won two rings, had some historic moments that can never be taken away. But clearly down the stretch he allowed the inmates to run the asylum. And for a team that consistently won 90+ games a year every year, they always got out of the gates slowly. It's safe to assume that the approach that had been taken during spring training over the years wasn't working and a shift back to doing things the right way had to be revisited.
Hate Valentine all you want but then look at what happens to teams when he first gets there and the immediate improvements in the win column that those teams receive. Will he wear out his welcome? Sure, he usually does after 3 or 4 years. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Reaction Score
In 15 years of managing in MLB Bobby V has never had a team finish in 1st place. His Texas teams which were loaded underachieved. In NY he could never take down Atlanta. This is the most overhyped manager in baseball due to the NYC-ESPN bias. I think the AL east will eat him alive.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think the AL east will eat him alive.

It will be the Boston press and the fans that eat him alive. Same would be true in NY. He's a lightning rod for attention and much of it not good.

Reaction Score
In 15 years of managing in MLB Bobby V has never had a team finish in 1st place. His Texas teams which were loaded underachieved. In NY he could never take down Atlanta. This is the most overhyped manager in baseball due to the NYC-ESPN bias. I think the AL east will eat him alive.
Those Texas teams were so loaded that their ace was Charlie freaking hough. Texas was a laughingstock and Bobby turned them into a decent team. His first four yrs as a Mets mgr he averaged 92 wins with average at best pitching staffs. The Mets sucked when valentine took over.
Come on people

Reaction Score
And the trip to the World Series? That would work.

As bad as the Mets have been (and will be for a while), I wouldn't want him back under any circumstances.

Reaction Score
Those Texas teams were so loaded that their ace was Charlie freaking hough. Texas was a laughingstock and Bobby turned them into a decent team. His first four yrs as a Mets mgr he averaged 92 wins with average at best pitching staffs. The Mets sucked when valentine took over.
Come on people

Charlie "freaking" Hough was an excellent and reliable work horse pitcher for Valentine, he was good for 14-15 wins and 225 ip per. Allthough'll I wouldn't call him the ace under Bobby V, that title would belong to a guy named Nolan Ryan who had three great years with Texas. Kevin Brown also was an excellent pitcher for V. winning 21 games in 92. Kenny Rogers, Mitch Williams, Jose Guzman, Bobby Witt and Jeff Russell were all talented pitchers during the V. era. He had a nice staff to work with.

The hitters were loaded. Larry Parrish, Ruben Sierra, Rafeal Palmerio, Dean Palmer, Juan Gonzalez, Harold Baines, Julio Franco, Ivan Rodriguez, Pete Incavilia. They were so loaded that they traded a young Sammy Sosa.

Despite all that talent he never got Texas to the playoffs. After 8 years he was 581-605 .490. He was so bad George W. Bush fired him. Overall in my opinion he did a poor job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The guy got the Mets to the World Series. The Mets for cryin out loud. You sound like those knobs that say Belichick can't coach because he he didn't make a Super Bowl in Cleveland.

Reaction Score
Here are the Rangers ERA+/OPS+ finishes in the 14-team AL during his years as manager:

1985 10th/13th (62 wins)
1986 6th/5th (87)
1987 10th/6th (75)
1988 8th/12th (70)
1989 7th/8th (83)
1990 6th/10th (83)
1991 12th/13th (85)
1992 12th/8th (77)

Let's agree to disagree that these Rangers teams were "loaded". The staffs as a whole were bad and their offense had some good hitters here and there but were by and large a middle of the pack offense from top to bottom.

During his Rangers years he outperformed his Pythag by 10 games. In 1992 he was fired with his team 45-41. Toby Harrah finished the year with the same players and went 32-44. In six seasons with the Mets, Bobby V outperformed his Pythag by 13 wins.

To put it in perspective, in eight seasons with the Sox, Francona outperformed his Pythag W/L by 6.

Bobby V also managed Chiba Lotte to a championship in his second year there, something the team hadn't done in 31 years.

Hate on Bobby V, that's fine. He's going to wrankle people the wrong way. But don't make it sound like he's a bad in-game manager. and don't imply that because he didn't win the NL East with 94 and 97 wins that he wasn't good enough because Atlanta and their incredible pitching staff was putting up 95 and 100 wins.

Reaction Score
You have to go 5,000 miles away to find to find a team he won it all with. The 2005 Chiba Lotte Marines led by Benny Agbyani and Matt Franco. Come on man.

I never brought up how he is as an in game manager and I can imply he was never good enought to beat the braves because he never did.

I would take 7 other manangers in the AL, 8 if you count Francona who I would rather have running my team then Bobby V.

Reaction Score
Have you watched a lot of Red Sox games the past few years and the incredible lack of fundamentals on the basepaths and in the field this team has displayed?
I'm guessing no.
Gosh, how dare a manager teach - or re-teach - fundamentals to a team that has exhibited none of them, particularly down the stretch last year.
Tito won two rings, had some historic moments that can never be taken away. But clearly down the stretch he allowed the inmates to run the asylum. And for a team that consistently won 90+ games a year every year, they always got out of the gates slowly. It's safe to assume that the approach that had been taken during spring training over the years wasn't working and a shift back to doing things the right way had to be revisited.
Hate Valentine all you want but then look at what happens to teams when he first gets there and the immediate improvements in the win column that those teams receive. Will he wear out his welcome? Sure, he usually does after 3 or 4 years. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Yes and these guys have been playing baseball for years.....if you can't throw you won't suddenly find out how - if you can't run the bases, you won't be able to make the right decisions when the games begin....I get it and that's great he's coaching.....Torre was a great fundamentals teacher and Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada never could run the bases......you either have it or you don't at this point of your career - baseball intellect!!

I hope Bobby does well.........;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69