Koontz's article in today's CT Post | The Boneyard

Koontz's article in today's CT Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the whole Civil Conflict thing is as dumb as the next guy but do not, at all, think that it needs to be dropped or renamed for racial purposes. It has zero relationship to the horrible shootings in Charleston and I see zero reason to create some sideways relationship. Maybe he was trying to connect with minority readership or just wanted to write something provocative but, to me, it's totally without justification.

Let the guys play football. There doesn't have to be some social cause tied to it or racial sensitivity floating around it. This is not the confederate flag flying over the state house. This is a just a dumb football game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Wow. So, so ridiculous.

Um, Brian, you know why it's called the "Civil War," right? It's just as easily the same play on words, but he had to go full-on race card.

Brian Koonz is like a lovechild of Jeff Jacobs and HFD - snarky, craves a pulpit, with a streak of bat#$5^@@ crazy that's so strong, you're not sure if he's serious.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Here's the link: http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Brian-Koonz-Diaco-needs-to-scrap-Civil-6343039.php

You're right, Koonz seems to be making a connection that really isn't there. How does a Civil Conflict between Uconn-UCF have anything to do with racism? And renaming it the Charleston Cup is the worst way to fix that, it's using a tragedy to gain some PR. Classless move.

But enough complaining. Love the quotes from Noel Thomas Sr. Like him, I've come around on the Civil Conflict. Bring it on!
For Noel Thomas Sr., whose son, Noel Jr., is a wide receiver for the Huskies, the idea of a UConn-Central Florida rivalry is an acquired taste.

“When I first read it, I was a little bit uncomfortable. And I got a little bad vibe from what I was reading,” Thomas said Monday night. “But then when I got time to process what was really going on, he’s trying to create excitement. He’s trying to create a buzz.

“And whether you love him or hate him, or you think it’s a good thing or a bad thing, people are talking about UConn football.

“If you can get people to talk about a two-win team - that was hard to watch - you are a mad scientist who speaks to my heart,” Thomas said, nodding without hesitation or apology. “And I like it.”

Reaction Score
He's a stirring Syracuse grad who revels in the fact UCONN ended up where they did in the CR game.

Reaction Score
The real reason that Syracuse University continues to have any sort of relevance is nothing more than the school produces paper tigers. They have a strong output of writers from their school that make their way into the media, and they gravitate to the worldwide leader in Bristol, and to every media outlet they can find gainful employment.

Imagine where all these writers would be, without UCONN to use as material to generate readers. Imagine if they actual had to write about....gulp.....Syracuse.

A two win team on a 5-19 streak in the tri-state area - generates more interest than anything about Syracuse.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I can't think of anyone worse at what they do than Koonz.

Reaction Score
We really need to stop linking to this clown. I can't believe what I just read. 5 minutes I'll never get back.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I think that Diaco put him up to it. The civil conflict story will get new legs just as it was dying down, keeping UCONN in the press for another couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
He's a stirring Syracuse grad who revels in the fact UCONN ended up where they did in the CR game.
Another Syracuse crapping in the Connecticut pool they swim in. More to CT Newspapers, ADs and coaches - stop hiring upstate NY morons.

Reaction Score
Here's the link: http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Brian-Koonz-Diaco-needs-to-scrap-Civil-6343039.php

You're right, Koonz seems to be making a connection that really isn't there. How does a Civil Conflict between Uconn-UCF have anything to do with racism? And renaming it the Charleston Cup is the worst way to fix that, it's using a tragedy to gain some PR. Classless move.

But enough complaining. Love the quotes from Noel Thomas Sr. Like him, I've come around on the Civil Conflict. Bring it on!

Thanks for posting the link. I have no idea why I didn't do that initially.

Reaction Score
Someone should copy and paste so we don't give him clicks, as that is clearly what this is about.

Reaction Score
UCF is the "flagship program" of the conference? That's news to me and our national championship collecting program ... We know where this writer stands on UConn athletics and better yet in life. He needs to grow some and stop being offended by life.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everything this guy writes is crap. I saw the headline and knew I should not give hearst media the click through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate