OT: - Kofi Cockburn will NOT return to Illinois | The Boneyard

OT: Kofi Cockburn will NOT return to Illinois

Reaction Score
He's a physical force who can run the floor well. He'll be in the NBA for a long time.
Gotta imagine he can carve out a role but he'll be limited by his offensive game and his quickness on defense. The reality is that another year in college is just not going to change the skillset the modern NBA is looking for so it feels like the right move.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m happy to not have to watch him dominate ppl in college and feel salty

Reaction Score
Curious to see if he can stick around in the NBA. There simply isn't much demand for a big man like him.
Whose his player comp currently in the NBA now, Andre Drummond? Not many guys in the league are his size. Unique player in those terms, I think he’ll stick, I’m just not sure what his ceiling is. I would not be surprised to see him be a rebound monster, but does that translate to being a winning/efficient player is the question.

Reaction Score
Whose his player comp currently in the NBA now, Andre Drummond? Not many guys in the league are his size. Unique player in those terms, I think he’ll stick, I’m just not sure what his ceiling is. I would not be surprised to see him be a rebound monster, but does that translate to being a winning/efficient player is the question.
Diamond Stone of the Guelph Nighthawks

Reaction Score
Steven Adams maybe.

Reaction Score
size-wise he's closer to drummond, but skill-wise I was thinking a slightly bigger deandre ayton

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
depends on whether he learns to guard the pick n roll well at first.. versatility is the name of the game, If he slims down some he could be a very effective big but if he doesn't develop a dependable shot by year 2 he'll be in asia

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
How about Isaiah Stewart? Had a good rookie year in Detroit

Reaction Score

He's not on the same planet as an athlete as Drummond, and Drummond isn't exactly the most wanted commodity out there.

I guess Kanter? Cockburn is a little bigger than Kanter but Kanter's skill level is quite a bit higher IMO.

Reaction Score
Man, that dream first recruiting class for Hurley would have been something. Obviously Bouknight popped, but if we had had Kofi and Precious over the course of the past two seasons...

Reaction Score
He's not on the same planet as an athlete as Drummond, and Drummond isn't exactly the most wanted commodity out there.

I guess Kanter? Cockburn is a little bigger than Kanter but Kanter's skill level is quite a bit higher IMO.
Yeah, he’s not the athlete Drummond is but there’s just not many guys like him in terms of size and style of play in the league. Kanter and Adams are interesting comparisons. I’m sure a team will take a flyer on him and see if they can turn him into a guy who can be a rebounding machine if nothing else.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think his athleticism is definitely on par with AD and more so on the offensive end. But AD has more of a nose for grabbing rebounds at least he did.. I can’t say he will be a great NBA player but can see him making some nice cash playing for at least 6 years

Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks Kofi is a similar athlete to Drummond really is really off base and borderline delusional. Drummond has many issues and holes in his game but his athleticism is ELITE. In fact they tested his athleticism in a controlled, scientific environment. Here are a quotes from the article below:

ABC News

It's not just that Drummond has a high vertical (30 inches) and generates more force in the vertical plane when he jumps than 90 percent of all P3 athletes. It's not just that he moves laterally better than 87 percent of all NBA players tested -- guards included. It's not just that his second jump is lightning-quick and it rises four inches higher than his positional mean.

"He checks off all the same boxes that the perimeter players do," says Dr. Marcus Elliott, the founder and lead scientist at P3. "That's super rare for a big man. You almost never have a guy that big who's comparable to a 200-pound guy. There's usually a give back."

So given his deficiencies on the defensive and offensive ends of the floor, his athleticism may be the only thing keeping him in the league. This is why he’s so frustrating to me. He has all the athletic tools but he just hasn’t put it together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom