Kobe Bryant says overbearing college referees need to let players play | The Boneyard

Kobe Bryant says overbearing college referees need to let players play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After all the complaining the whole season about the refs calling too many fouls I had to post this.

With regional games in Anaheim last weekend, Lakers legend Kobe Bryant visited the Honda Center to watch Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Duke, and Oregon - Buddy Hield even credited Kobe for inspiring him to destroy the Ducks in the Elite Eight - and said later that his first impression of the college game is that referees are too quick with their whistles.

"What's stood out to you the most?

That the refs have got to let them play a little bit more. Let them play a little bit more, man. It's like you touch a guy with a fingernail and it's a foul. You've got to let these guys play. That was my first reaction.

Reaction Score
After all the complaining the whole season about the refs calling too many fouls I had to post this.

With regional games in Anaheim last weekend, Lakers legend Kobe Bryant visited the Honda Center to watch Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Duke, and Oregon - Buddy Hield even credited Kobe for inspiring him to destroy the Ducks in the Elite Eight - and said later that his first impression of the college game is that referees are too quick with their whistles.

That the refs have got to let them play a little bit more. Let them play a little bit more, man. It's like you touch a guy with a fingernail and it's a foul. You've got to let these guys play. That was my first reaction.

Having had the very dubious "pleasure" of meeting KB several times, he is insufferably egotistical, but, having reffed Division II and III for 15 years ( a while ago) on this I 100% agree, the touch/impede rule hurts the game, let 'em play.

Reaction Score
Having had the very dubious "pleasure" of meeting KB several times, he is insufferably egotistical, but, having reffed Division II and III for 15 years ( a while ago) on this I 100% agree, the touch/impede rule hurts the game, let 'em play.

Couldn't agree more on Kobe and the fouls. This year, the way the games were officiated really hurt the flow of the game - 9/10 trips there was a foul called and it got even worse in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
One of the only times I 100% agree with Kobe, they thought this impede rule would lead to more wide open higher scoring games, instead it feels like a high school field hockey game with the whistle being blown every 20 seconds. Where have you met Kobe, I want to hear some stories?

Reaction Score
I agree, but it didnt seem like UConn took advantage of that to many times. It always seemed like the opposing team got to the line a lot more than we did. For a really good free throw shooting team like UConn had this past season, they didnt get to the line enough.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Kobe for Emmert who says no???

Reaction Score
One of the only times I 100% agree with Kobe, they thought this impede rule would lead to more wide open higher scoring games, instead it feels like a high school field hockey game with the whistle being blown every 20 seconds. Where have you met Kobe, I want to hear some stories?

Former (by marriage) relative has been trainer for the LA Fakers for decades so I have met every player from Magic to Kobe, have heard many stories in confidence which I will not repeat. Magic is wonderful guy, Kareem total introvert, Shaq is huge and like a kid, give you anything, Kobe has an ego beyond description

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The new rules essentially neuter signature defensive schemes of certain programs like UConn's and Cincinnati's. The way we have always played D is no longer legal, and the coaching staff and players haven't adjusted accordingly to it yet.

Interestingly, it's perfect for the rat faces teams where they are coached to flop and sell contact. Those are the teams that benefit.

Reaction Score
The new rules essentially neuter signature defensive schemes of certain programs like UConn's and Cincinnati's. The way we have always played D is no longer legal, and the coaching staff and players haven't adjusted accordingly to it yet.

Interestingly, it's perfect for the rat faces teams where they are coached to flop and sell contact. Those are the teams that benefit.

We had one of the best defenses in the country this year. We adjusted fine to the new rules defensively. The problem was our offense was pretty horrid this year.

Reaction Score

He must be talking about when Grayson Allen drives the lane...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom