KO watches Shawn Olden | The Boneyard

KO watches Shawn Olden

Reaction Score

Some of you may have seen @CGarr's tweet on this, but we watched Olden the other day again.

His JUCO numbers are bizzare. Only 38.5 FG% and 36.4% from 3, but his per minute scoring is crazy. He averages 17.3 PPG in 15.6 MPG. That's 44 PTS per 40 minutes, albeit on 34 FGA.

With a much smaller role at whichever school he ends up choosing, he'll probably score much more efficiently.

A little OT: UConn's other JUCO target, 6'7 F Raynere Thornton, averages 31.8 REB, 32.2 PTS, 13.5 AST, and 2.98 BLK per 40 minutes. JUCO ball occur in a different dimension. These numbers are wracking my brain.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Olden is at a Juco after playing two seasons at Pepperdine?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Olden is at a Juco after playing two seasons at Pepperdine?
1) He got hurt early last year and had to redshirt

2) He then decided to transfer to Brad Underwood's SFA squad.

3) When Underwood took the OKSt job, he went back on his commitment and apparently didn't like his other choices, so he decided to reopen his commitment while playing a year at a JUCO.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

Some of you may have seen @CGarr's tweet on this, but we watched Olden the other day again.

His JUCO numbers are bizzare. Only 38.5 FG% and 36.4% from 3, but his per minute scoring is crazy. He averages 17.3 PPG in 15.6 MPG. That's 44 PTS per 40 minutes, albeit on 34 FGA.

With a much smaller role at whichever school he ends up choosing, he'll probably score much more efficiently.

A little OT: UConn's other JUCO target, 6'7 F Raynere Thornton, averages 31.8 REB, 32.2 PTS, 13.5 AST, and 2.98 BLK per 40 minutes. JUCO ball occur in a different dimension. These numbers are wracking my brain.

Get this Thornton guy.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So what position, how tall, etc???
6'3 lefty SG. Averaged about 10 ppg for Pepperdine, and shot it pretty well. Good-not-great athleticism. Can come in next year and contribute, but will never be a star.

Reaction Score
I read a thread on a Pepperdine board a few months ago and they looked at it like they last their future star or standard-bearer. He was all-freshman in his league I believe and was going to be a go to guy or at least one of top options had he come back. It seemed like they did his teammate wrong from HS and that caused the transfer out. A lot of big boys looking it seems but I don't follow recruiting like I did 10 years ago so I will defer to those who do.

Seems like a lot to like. I live in a town with a borderline top 25 JUCO team each year and their isn't a ton of defense played at that level and for many really good teams the top talents don't play a ton because they go ten deep. I remember seeing that Jared Wilson Frame guy and they had a kid that was top 50 the previous year going to Cuse (maybe Diagne?) that must not have qualified and he started but barely played after that. The backup, though less heralded, was terrific, offensive rebounding machine and non-stop motor. Didn't examine how tall he was, prob 6'7. Was thinking I wish UConn would look at him!!! I forget his name but could look it up.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I read a thread on a Pepperdine board a few months ago and they looked at it like they last their future star or standard-bearer. He was all-freshman in his league I believe and was going to be a go to guy or at least one of top options had he come back.
Yup. Kid was going to be a stud in that league, and has potential to be a sniper in ours. I hope we get him for that reason, but also because it'll give us more balance with regard to our scholarship distribution.

Let's assume we get Olden & a postgrad big man:

SR: Postgrad
JR: Jalen, Larrier, Enoch, Olden
So: Vance, Vital, Durham
Fr: Alterique, Mamadou, MAL, Polley, Carlton

We'd have 8 guys with significant college experience, the potential for 3 open 2018 schollies (Postgrad, plus two early departures from Jalen & Larrier), and a ton of underclassmen to build around over the next few years, but not so many that we're trying to integrate 6 new guys at once every season.

If Ollie gets Olden & a postgrad, this is our last "bandaid" recruiting year. It's taken a little longer than I'd hoped for, but we're close.

Reaction Score
Yup. Kid was going to be a stud in that league, and has potential to be a sniper in ours. I hope we get him for that reason, but also because it'll give us more balance with regard to our scholarship distribution.

Let's assume we get Olden & a postgrad big man:

SR: Postgrad
JR: Jalen, Larrier, Enoch, Olden
So: Vance, Vital, Durham
Fr: Alterique, Mamadou, MAL, Polley, Carlton

We'd have 8 guys with significant college experience, the potential for 3 open 2018 schollies (Postgrad, plus two early departures from Jalen & Larrier), and a ton of underclassmen to build around over the next few years, but not so many that we're trying to integrate 6 new guys at once every season.

If Ollie gets Olden & a postgrad, this is our last "bandaid" recruiting year. It's taken a little longer than I'd hoped for, but we're close.
Great point. I think I had considered that a while back but forgot about it. For me, perfect world is strong grad transfer 4/5 and Olden!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom