KO Short Term/Long Term | The Boneyard

KO Short Term/Long Term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe that Coach Calhoun saw Kevin Ollie as his long term successor. It is hard to think of another choice who would be as well suited to run the program for perhaps twenty years. He has youth, loyalty,
character, and an impressive professional background. The problems he faces are not of his making.
The Athletic Department woes, the APR situation, conference reorganization are unfortunate realities.
If a new coach gets three years without huge pressure to win now; that is highly unusual. The track record of first replacement coaches following legends is not good.

Fishy correctly pointed out that UConn can't afford to have a men's basketball program which is less than a major player nationally. Hopefully the AAC is a way station, if it is a long term situation, UConn is unlikely to survive as a national brand. That means that for better or worse; Ollie has to succeed now.
I'm optimistic (for Me) about the upcoming season. However, I'm not foolish enough to believe that Success is guaranteed. There is always the possibility that one or more key players will do something totally stupid off court. Then with the myriad of health problems that UConn had last year; it wouldn't be off the charts unlikely for one or more key players to miss big parts of the season.

The real test will be NCAA tournament, anything less than a sweet sixteen birth would be a disappointment. This year's recruiting class is key to a continual building of the Ollie era program. I'm not so concerned with the ranking of the individual players as I am with Coach Ollie signing players who have the potential physical attributes and the work ethic that Coach Ollie can develop.

Typically of the Boneyard there has been kvetching about the process which is world class. When the class is signed and qualified; we will have some real information to evaluate. However, we probably won't know enough to really rank the class for at least two years. Something like 40% of recruited players don't finish their career at their first school.

So stifling a major upsurge of angst; I'm trying to look at Ollie's efforts to develop the program positively. PC fans are thinking about where Cooley's bust will be in Springfield; UConn fans must be a little more cautious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No caution for me. I have ten toes in with KO, men's bb presently and long term, and UConn's current and long term success.

caw

Reaction Score
I agree with most of the post. I disagree about the American and UConn remaining a national power. I think if anything you will see more mid majors begin to perform in the NCAAT. Coaching has always been the key to college basketball and not conference and not even players as much. If Ollie is the right coach, UConn can be a national power in any conference.

I also don't know if a sweet sixteen is needed, all depends on matchups and health.

Reaction Score
I firmly believe KO will get Uconn to the final 4 very soon. Once that happens, you will see more high profile recruits look at Uconn.

D

Deleted member 3149

I firmly believe KO will get Uconn to the final 4 very soon. Once that happens, you will see more high profile recruits look at Uconn.
How much more high profile do we want though? We're known for taking top 4 star recruits and keeping them for 2-3 years. Of course, winning titles in the process. Sure, I'd love to have Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins as UConn alums, but would we really want a star player to stay 1 year? Look what happened with Drummond.

Reaction Score
How much more high profile do we want though? We're known for taking top 4 star recruits and keeping them for 2-3 years. Of course, winning titles in the process. Sure, I'd love to have Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins as UConn alums, but would we really want a star player to stay 1 year? Look what happened with Drummond.

Yes. One and done players are just part of the game today, and you never know what these kids are thinking, so IMO, you always take the best you can get and coach em up.

D

Deleted member 3149

Yes. One and done players are just part of the game today, and you never know what these kids are thinking, so IMO, you always take the best you can get and coach em up.
If we were eligible for the postseason last year, I bet Drummond would've stayed. Damn, that would've been awesome.

Reaction Score
The other side of the coin is that a successful Ollie will probably generate NBA offers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The other side of the coin is that a successful Ollie will probably generate NBA offers.
I'm not convinced that he'd take them.

Reaction Score
"UConn is unlikely to survive as a national brand"
Good points but I disagree on this one. Memphis, Gonzaga and others have managed to maintain a national brand and there is no reason to think that UConn with 3 NCCs would flounder. Look at what Cooley has done at PC this season recruiting from a weakened BE and a pretty much irrelevant school. Our out of conference schedule needs to continue to be strong.
I really believe that UConn will end up in the ACC eventually.

Reaction Score
Crap, I lost another post.

Gonzaga has been to 0 final fours. Their best season was an Elite Eight in '99. Memphis reached the final game under Calipari. The recruiting has been strong under Pastner, but the NCAA performance has been dismal. The AAC is an upgrade for Memphis. They return the most experienced talented roster since Calipari. I don't see them as a national power now or in the future.

The last men's basketball champion from a non power football conference that I remember is UNLV. They are a solid competitive program now, but nowhere near where they were under Tarkanian. There are good reasons why someone like Dana Altman leaves Creighton for Oregon. When a top flight career coach leaves, how likely is it that a mid major program gets back to its top level?

Shaka Smart is the latest hyped mid major coach. He's had opportunities to leave for more high profile jobs; he hasn't taken them yet.
However, remember Jim Laranaga. He had a lifetime job at George Mason if he wanted it. Still he took a Miami job with all the inherent problems with that school's athletic programs.

There is no good reason to believe that the so called mid majors will be competitive at the highest levels in the future. History is certainly not trending their way. The best experiment is the New Big East; that is unquestionably the strongest basketball only league in recent memory. I think 1980 is virtually ancient history in Collegiate Sports, but if any grouping of basketball schools has the ability to provide internal competition and reasons for the power schools to schedule them; it is the Big East. I think the AAC without Louisville is close to the Big East in power and competitiveness, but honestly I see it as a cut below.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Gonzaga has been to 0 final fours. Their best season was an Elite Eight in '99. Memphis reached the final game under Calipari. The recruiting has been strong under Pastner, but the NCAA performance has been dismal. The AAC is an upgrade for Memphis. They return the most experienced talented roster since Calipari. I don't see them as a national power now or in the future.

The last men's basketball champion from a non power football conference that I remember is UNLV. They are a solid competitive program now, but nowhere near where they were under Tarkanian. There are good reasons why someone like Dana Altman leaves Creighton for Oregon. When a top flight career coach leaves, how likely is it that a mid major program gets back to its top level?

Shaka Smart is the latest hyped mid major coach. He's had opportunities to leave for more high profile jobs; he hasn't taken them yet.
However, remember Jim Laranaga. He had a lifetime job at George Mason if he wanted it. Still he took a Miami job with all the inherent problems with that school's athletic programs.

There is no good reason to believe that the so called mid majors will be competitive at the highest levels in the future. History is certainly not trending their way. The best experiment is the New Big East; that is unquestionably the strongest basketball only league in recent memory. I think 1980 is virtually ancient history in Collegiate Sports, but if any grouping of basketball schools has the ability to provide internal competition and reasons for the power schools to schedule them; it is the Big East. I think the AAC without Louisville is close to the Big East in power and competitiveness, but honestly I see it as a cut below.
You never lost me! I just see UConn's future in the B!G! So any predictions about UConn's lack of success because it is in a non power conference is a moot argument for me!

Reaction Score
I think the AAC without Louisville is close to the Big East in power and competitiveness, but honestly I see it as a cut below.

It all depends on whether SMU and Houston can continue this level of recruiting, until they go far in the NCAAs and ride it. UCF is recruiting pretty well too, at least as well as the BE schools. SMU is actually recruiting better than all the BE schools. If this can be sustained, the league will be at least as good as the BE.

UConn, Memphis, Cincy and Temple will be at least as good as the BE teams, but the AAC needs Houston, SMU and UCF to use their good recruits to rise up.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Good thing for the power conferences and this post that UConn stopped Butler!

Reaction Score

How do you explain Butler? Mid-majors have been a force for most of this century. The NCAA offers them the opportunity for national relevance. Strong mid-majors have a much better chance than weak teams in power conferences. And none of them hang 3 NC banners from the last 13 years.

Reaction Score
Butler might just be done they lost their boy genius, all the hype he got was well deserved. Rajon rondo just called him his best friend, think he'll be an underrated coach in the league.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was ranked No. 1 last year for a little while. They were a 1 seed in the tourney. Not like their whole season was irrelevant because they were upset in the NCAAs (by Wichita State, which ended up going to the FF). They were on the map all year.

If you go by the crapshoot of the NCAA Tourney, then yeah, you can say that only the big schools have won. But Gordon Hayward's baseline fadeaway missed by an inch - or else Butler would probably have a title. George Mason, VCU, Butler twice and Wichita State have all been in FFs since 2006, and Davidson was one shot away. Odds favor the bluebloods (unless its Georgetown, in which case the double digit seed will win by double digits), but more than half of the Big Five conference teams can only wish they had Gonzaga's brand and track record this millennium.

Reaction Score
take the BIG. I'll give you Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Iowa. But do you really think Illinois, Indiana, even Purdue, never mind Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan want to be Gonzaga in men's basketball?

You have a good case with the current Pac 12.
Terrible with The ACC; it used to be a two plus team league, but with the additions of Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt; they have upped their game. Miami is likely to be competitive under Laranaga, and Virginia is improving. NC State looks like a train wreck waiting to happen, but Florida State has been pretty good the past few years. That leaves Wake and Virginia Tech and Clemson. Clemson figures to make the tournament on a semi regular basis. Strengthening the competition in this league will likely lift all boats.

The SEC is a question mark. The East is strong; you start with Kentucky and Florida. Missouri looks to be an up and coming program.
UT has an in and out record, but they will make the NCAA's more than half the time. Georgia is down; Vandy has been pretty good at making the tournament recently; last year was bad and this year doesn't look good. Stallings is a quality coach, but a mediocre recruiter.
USC has been down, but they have a solid history. The West is weak, but most of the teams have past form. Alabama and Auburn have had big time teams in the past. MSU has been to the final four in the past 20 years. Old Miss doesn't have much form, but LSU has a lot of form. Arkansas is down, but they won an NCAA championship. Texas A&M is an improving program. I'll bet that a team from the SEC wins the NCAA before any team named Gonzaga, Butler, VCU, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, or Memphis.
The Big 12 is another case where the league is top heavy. Kansas is so far out in front of the rest of the pack it isn't even close. I was surprised at how poorly WVU competed last season. Texas Tech is a bottom feeder, but teams like K State and Baylor look to be on the upswing. UT has been a major disappointment. Oklahoma has been another disappointment; Oklahoma State could be on the rise. I don't expect them to garner a third NCAA championship anytime soon. Still not a bad group.

The Big East has a bunch of teams with classes rated in the top 25 for this recruiting season. Seton Hall is #4 in some ratings. It
ain't over til it is over, but as of now the Big East is certainly among the top two or three conferences. Pull out Louisville from the AAC;
these recruits will never play there, and the AAC is okay with this current class. A terrific finish by UConn could make a difference.

Reaction Score
I'm not predicting greatness from Ollie until he learns to close recruits.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Analogies have been cherry-picked to prove a particular point. Yet the most fitting analogy is Louisville, an actual National Champion that had to languish in a nonmajor for many, many years but eventually came out of it OK. In no sense are we more like Gonzaga, Butler, VCU, etc., etc., etc. than Louisville.

Reaction Score
Musical chairs; is UConn going to have a big chair when the music stops? Success, high level success, of the men's basketball is necessary to be in a big seat. Unfortunately, it isn't sufficient. Even more unfortunate is that there doesn't seem to be any clear roadmap that gets us to the big seat. We draw more eyes in NYC for basketball than Syracuse or Rutgers. We have a substantial media market in Connecticut, better than those of many teams in power conferences, and we dominate it.
Is it truly all about football or having the luck to be in one of the Big Conferences before everything started? If it comes down to Cincy or UConn for a spot; I'm not confident. Frankly, I don't know what would make me confident.
Am I wrong that the clock is ticking? What boxes do we need to tick off?
Part of the over the top reaction to every recruiting misfire is due to frustration, why isn't our better profile more attractive to recruits?
I don't see Ollie as being willing to play the AAU game. Look what Seton Hall did. Ollie has to run the program his way, but with the caveat that the future is now.
I'm not sure that a recruiter is the "magic bullet." ( Remember Edward G. Robinson in "Dr. Ehrlic's Magic Bullet.") Is it lack of a lead recruiter, Ollie's closing, the new conference, something else or more likely some combination of the above.

So we lost x' we'll be okay if we can get y, but there has been a bunch of x's lost and remaining y's are running out. This isn't panic, but I think that some concern isn't an over reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom