KO coached his butt off tonight | The Boneyard

KO coached his butt off tonight

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Very demonstrative - getting Jackson to go into the corner was awesome. Getting on Vital for showboating and not getting back on defense. Time outs were spot on. Good execution out of time outs. Good night for the Huskies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Truth be told I was hoping he would have called it after the first Houston basket.

One of the most frustrating parts of the season as a fan has been watching the team work their arse off for 10-12 minutes to build a lead and then watch is disappear in less than 2 minutes.

It pisses me off to no end to see players work so hard and then let a few mental mistakes waste away all their work.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Truth be told I was hoping he would have called it after the first Houston basket.

One of the most frustrating parts of the season as a fan has been watching the team work their arse off for 10-12 minutes to build a lead and then watch is disappear in less than 2 minutes.

It pisses me off to no end to see players work so hard and then let a few mental mistakes waste away all their work.
The mistakes are what is the challenge for this team and they did well tonight, despite a very good performance by Gray. Man, he just hurts us over and over. But, somehow, UConn won the game comfortably against a team that had beaten us pretty bad. The team needs Kentan to come back to form against Cincy. Among other things.

Reaction Score
Very demonstrative - getting Jackson to go into the corner was awesome. Getting on Vital for showboating and not getting back on defense. Time outs were spot on. Good execution out of time outs. Good night for the Huskies.

This is silly, I've been to most of the home games this year often sitting near the UConn bench and he has been the same way each game.

When people judge how well KO is coaching by his "energy" then I know they can't tell anything substantive about his actual coaching. He has had the same fires up supportive energy since day 1.

He has improved with mixing in zone in his defenses and using timeouts better and having some of the best out of bounds set plays in the country. He was always a great coach and this year he has improved even more, but let's stop with the energy crap because he brings it every game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This post...
This is silly, I've been to most of the home games this year often sitting near the UConn bench and he has been the same way each game.

When people judge how well KO is coaching by his "energy" then I know they can't tell anything substantive about his actual coaching. He has had the same fires up supportive energy since day 1.
followed up by this post...
Ollie needs to bring this kind of animation and intensity to every game not just the tournament games. Part of being a leader is to create energy where there is none. We need more of tonight's Ollie in November, December, and January.
is just perfect Boneyard artwork. Hook it to my veins!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The mistakes are what is the challenge for this team and they did well tonight, despite a very good performance by Gray. Man, he just hurts us over and over. But, somehow, UConn won the game comfortably against a team that had beaten us pretty bad. The team needs Kentan to come back to form against Cincy. Among other things.

Gray hurts just about everybody. No shame in that. But tonight we finally gave somebody else a shot in the chops instead of being on the receiving end. We pretty much shut down everybody else but Gray. I wonder if that was our collective strategy or if it just turned out that way? Whatever it was, it worked.

Reaction Score
I thought the approach on offense was much better. The staff definitely appeared to have made some adjustments there, though I think Brimah going to the bench with the early two fouls forced their hand a bit. The offense functions in a different sphere when Facey, Enoch, or Jackson are the primary screeners instead of Brimah. It's not a coincidence that Adams played his best game in a Husky uniform the moment teams had to adjust their ball screen coverage. Hopefully this continues tomorrow.

The defense was as aggressive as I've seen it all year. I wonder if ramping up ball pressure was a point of emphasis or if the guys just played with more intensity. Pretty much everybody was locked in defensively.

Reaction Score
Damn straight he coached his butt off....you saw the intensity throughout on the bench.
It was Sampson this time shaking his head for no reason. For this 3rd game, it has he who could not solve the Husky resolve. And in the post game press conference it was KO again balancing praise but identifying room for improvement.
Doubters beware....this game is one of many why KO is a simply a gem.

Reaction Score
I didn't know he could coach? I always go by what I read here :oops:

Great game last night and yes Ollie had a good night. That being said he beat Houston. He has the expectations so low, a home win vs Houston is some amazing accomplishment. Let's see what he does today vs a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Great job KO. He shines in the post season. Is he truly a NBA style coach? Coaches these kids to greatness in the post season when the winning matters.

Reaction Score
Great job KO. He shines in the post season. Is he truly a NBA style coach? Coaches these kids to greatness in the post season when the winning matters.

We'll see. A home win over UH is ok, but we need to beat Cincy to get this team on a real roll and get me believing we can take this tourney. The seats will be full if we get to the final.

If we beat Cincy today I'll be bringing 5 to the final and we'll go nuts for the guys. Flying in at 2pm and heading to XL in our hoodies. Otherwise, heading straight to VT from the plane for beer and skiing. If anyone has 5 tickets for tomorrow I can buy, message me after we beat Cincy.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Great game last night and yes Ollie had a good night. That being said he beat Houston. He has the expectations so low, a home win vs Houston is some amazing accomplishment. Let's see what he does today vs a tournament team.
Considering what he has to work with regarding injuries to Adams, Vital and Jackson(who both were out with concussions in the last two weeks), beating a team that beat us twice during the regular season is a good accomplishment. Perspective is needed here.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The true JC move would have been to yank Enoch 8 seconds after checking in for letting that uncontested drive down the paint. Jim took it too far at times but that one warranted a hook.

C

Chief00

Agree, KO coached like we know he can. There were some UConn tough guys out there tonight playing in pain, taking and giving some hits. The game is about talent and teamwork but the thing that has always been the UConn MBB brand has been toughness.

C

Chief00

Considering what he has to work with regarding injuries to Adams, Vital and Jackson(who both were out with concussions in the last two weeks), beating a team that beat us twice during the regular season is a good accomplishment. Perspective is needed here.
I thought the approach on offense was much better. The staff definitely appeared to have made some adjustments there, though I think Brimah going to the bench with the early two fouls forced their hand a bit. The offense functions in a different sphere when Facey, Enoch, or Jackson are the primary screeners instead of Brimah. It's not a coincidence that Adams played his best game in a Husky uniform the moment teams had to adjust their ball screen coverage. Hopefully this continues tomorrow.

The defense was as aggressive as I've seen it all year. I wonder if ramping up ball pressure was a point of emphasis or if the guys just played with more intensity. Pretty much everybody was locked in defensively.

Quite frankly, I think you are on to something about the non Brimah screeners.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
absolutely cracks me up to read folks who bash KO after a loss last week and every loss this season turn around and applaud him last night and today
Amazing
I won't name names - you know who you are
Like KO changed in 1 week
Hypocrites - plain and simple

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member