KO’s Assistant Coaches | The Boneyard

KO’s Assistant Coaches

C

Chief00

As best Chief can, Chief will navigate the coaching transition gag order and the BY shoutout ban, to make an observation.

Does anyone know if any of the assistant coaches were fired for cause?

If not, very telling. While many are focused on KO, you really have to feel for these guys. Effectively, they won’t be able to get hired by any college until the NCAA completes their investigation and finds no fault by the assistant coach. These guys will not have the huge buyout of a KO (even after negotiated significantly downward).

I wish the best for these dudes and a quick return to the game. However, I fear it may be 2019/2020, even if things go well.

Reaction Score
As best Chief can, Chief will navigate the coaching transition gag order and the BY shoutout ban, to make an observation.

If not, very telling. While many are focused on KO, you really have to feel for these guys. Effectively, they won’t be able to get hired by any college until the NCAA completes their investigation and finds no fault by the assistant coach. These guys will not have the huge buyout of a KO (even after negotiated significantly downward).

I wish the best for these dudes and a quick return to the game. However, I fear it may be 2019/2020, even if things go well.
So, do we blame UConn or the NCAA?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I suspect assistants work on yearly contracts and they were allowed to expire.

Reaction Score
I suspect assistants work on yearly contracts and they were allowed to expire.

My understanding is that their contracts were to expire on June 30. If they have been relieved of their responsibilities prior to June 30, they receive a payout of the remainder due on their contractual salary.

C

Chief00

My understanding is that their contracts were to expire on June 30. If they have been relieved of their responsibilities prior to June 30, they receive a payout of the remainder due on their contractual salary.
If true, then you still have the cause issue that would immediately terminate their contractual salary.

Reaction Score
That may well be the case as I recall - but the thing that’s a killer is no NCAA decision. That’s a big cloud over their heads.

That woiuld not impact Kevin - correct - since he not a coach, but rather Basketball Operations?

Reaction Score
If true, then you still have the cause issue that would immediately terminate their contractual salary.

Yep, but working on-campus everyday, I haven't heard that "cause" was applied to any of the asst coaches...

TJT

Reaction Score
Yep, but working on-campus everyday, I haven't heard that "cause" was applied to any of the asst coaches...

Doesn't that then make firing Ollie for just cause a more difficult prospect? To me, it would then seem to imply that only Kevin Ollie alone was doing something wrong.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that then make firing Ollie for just cause a more difficult prospect? To me, it would then seem to imply that only Kevin Ollie alone was doing something wrong.
I'm not sure that it matters whether KO or an assistant committed the alleged violation. It is KO's staff and he is ultimately responsible.

C

Chief00

I'm not sure that it matters whether KO or an assistant committed the alleged violation. It is KO's staff and he is ultimately responsible.

While I am under the gag order, we might want to partially listen to TJT, perhaps he is on to something. While KO is responsible for managing control of the program, it might be more compelling to an independent party if he directly caused the issues. Another theory someone might put out, might be Mr. Miller, the coach who lived the closest to campus, being directly involved in the workouts but getting immunity from the NCAA.
As stated, I own no theory of my own to post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
These guys saw the iceburg.

C

Chief00

At any rate, since the early theatrics of KO’s legal team - there has been a more dignified public silence after UConn stated the cause.

Hopefully, this can be worked out in private as much as possible considering it’s a public university.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly ....

I don’t feel good about firing for “cause”. Unlike the implied “Chief00” storm clouds ... there’s nothing public as to what the transgression was. Impermssable Workouts? We went a decade in our prime that academic rigor was lacking ... and you’re making a “cause” from workouts. Supposedly different from 350 other schools. I bet Wagner upperclassmen worked out incredibly hard ... then beat us. You know these guys are on the edge of the garbage that NCAA dictates.

The money. UConn AD wants $10m to be much less. Until further notice ... that’s it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The NCAA puts responsibility for infractions on the coach. KO's contract is interminable for infractions. Letting the assistants' contracts expire is moot in terms on affecting KO's appeal.

The decision will hinge on the extent of the infractions, if any, and whether the school was complicit in allowing them to continue. Any clear infraction, will constitute cause but that isn't the issue going forward for anyone but KO.

By hiring Hurley, UConn has avoided any backlash for trying to void the contract. If it turns out UConn was seen as being unfair it could affect their relationship with Hurley or other coaches in the future.

There are people who still think Blumenthal's lawsuit has something to do with us not getting into the ACC.

Reaction Score
Were the assistant coaches even fired? I know Hurley terminated them or elected not to hire them.

But as it relates to Ollie's termination it (i.e. Assistants) appears to be more of a casualty type circumstance which happens annually in the NCAA.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I wish these threads would stop until some "real news" comes out
Let's concentrate on what Coach DH is bringing in - both coaching and players - that is the most important issue at hand
Would love some factual recruiting news soon - I know DH is working on some things

C

Chief00

Quite frankly ....

I don’t feel good about firing for “cause”. Unlike the implied “Chief00” storm clouds ... there’s nothing public as to what the transgression was. Impermssable Workouts? We went a decade in our prime that academic rigor was lacking ... and you’re making a “cause” from workouts. Supposedly different from 350 other schools. I bet Wagner upperclassmen worked out incredibly hard ... then beat us. You know these guys are on the edge of the garbage that NCAA dictates.

The money. UConn AD wants $10m to be much less. Until further notice ... that’s it.

I did not state what the cause was, just that KO’s legal team has kept a low profile since given it. You can draw your own conclusions. Having said that, who would disagree with your point that Benedict would prefer not to pay the $10 million when he believes that contractual he has an out.
The ex NBA UConn players will apply NBA standards to KO and believe it’s unfair.

C

Chief00

I wish these threads would stop until some "real news" comes out
Let's concentrate on what Coach Dan Hurley is bringing in - both coaching and players - that is the most important issue at hand
Would love some factual recruiting news soon - I know Dan Hurley is working on some things

Good point - fair enough - I will stop.

Reaction Score

wouldn't be surprised if chill is back at nova with there being an opening now, also saw that killings could be going to Marquette

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quite frankly ....

We don’t know that that was the case at all. Earlier we were hearing recruiting violations, so maybe it’s both. In any case if your contract says zero tolerance if you cross the line and you’ve been idling up to it for a while it behooves you to do one of the following:
A. Make darned sure you and folks under you do not put even a toe over said line; or
B. Have enough success that you’ll be forgiven your crossings until you get caught providing whores for your team AND get caught paying recruits $100,000.

Kevin Ollie apparently didn’t do A and clearly didn’t do B. Hence firing for cause.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom