Knight Commission Urges Tougher NCAA Reforms to Regain Public Confidence in College Sports | The Boneyard

Knight Commission Urges Tougher NCAA Reforms to Regain Public Confidence in College Sports

Reaction Score
Build a farm system like the MLB has. Let those who think they are ready for the NBA enter out of HS and fall back on that farm system if they do not get drafted (or go overseas), return the student to the student-athlete for everyone else who wants an edu and they can play sports on the side. Maybe the product is not as good for College ball, but, it would solve a lot of these issues.

Reaction Score
The commission wants to go back to the old NCAA. Have the NCAA run things. Of course, the football schools left the NCAA a long time ago because they wanted to do whatever they wanted to do.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Build a farm system like the MLB has. Let those who think they are ready for the NBA enter out of HS and fall back on that farm system if they do not get drafted (or go overseas), return the student to the student-athlete for everyone else who wants an edu and they can play sports on the side. Maybe the product is not as good for College ball, but, it would solve a lot of these issues.

I'm curious how a hockey model would work for basketball as well.

But without the NBA getting involved there isn't much the NCAA can do except common sense things like let undrafted kids return to school and let them have legal representation during their collegiate career.

Reaction Score
USAT: NCAA rules are 'incomprehensible,' says Condoleezza Rice

>>“We believe that students ought to be able to benefit from name, image and likeness but you can’t decide a program until you know the legal parameters,” Rice told USA TODAY Sports. “That was the point. I think some of the commentary suggested that we didn’t really speak on this issue. I think we did speak on this issue, it’s just that we understand there’s a legal framework that has to be developed first.”<<

>>Rice said she thought the commission’s report was “pretty clear” in its support of athletes being able to cash in once the various legal issues are resolved. But she maintains that the NCAA cannot do this while a pair of ongoing cases are pending.

"I think people may have looked at the fact that we said there's a legal framework to be developed and said, 'Oh, well, maybe they're punting on this.' Nobody was intending to punt on it." <<

Reaction Score
I'm curious how a hockey model would work for basketball as well.

But without the NBA getting involved there isn't much the NCAA can do except common sense things like let undrafted kids return to school and let them have legal representation during their collegiate career.
No there is a lot the NCAA can do. They just want an excuse NOT to do it and the NBA provides it. The 1-done model has led to incredible corruption of the sport and the college model. All because the NCAA didn’t want to do anything.

the Q

Reaction Score
No there is a lot the NCAA can do. They just want an excuse NOT to do it and the NBA provides it. The 1-done model has led to incredible corruption of the sport and the college model. All because the NCAA didn’t want to do anything.

There’s plenty they can do if they want a lawsuit.

And frankly if you think college wasn’t corrupt before one and done I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Reaction Score
Minor league betting scandals and such but nothing like the level of sleaze going on today. The NCAA could immediately implement a system that requires players to stay 4 years or repay the scholarship with interest. They coul make them 4 year deals that are unusable again until the original recipient’s class has graduated. They could eliminate freshman eligibility and add a fifth year to play. Every one of those things would help and restore some sanity to the process. And requires zero help from the NBA. They could say if you declare for the draft you are immediately ineligible and must immediately repay any scholarship money you got, too. And that is just a short list. Those moves would force the NBA to change its business model most likely and would surely force guys like Calipari and K to change their recruiting model. And force players to decide whether they wanted to play college basketball or try to go pro. And what exactly would there be to challenge in court?

the Q

Reaction Score
Minor league betting scandals and such but nothing like the level of sleaze going on today. The NCAA could immediately implement a system that requires players to stay 4 years or repay the scholarship with interest. They coul make them 4 year deals that are unusable again until the original recipient’s class has graduated. They could eliminate freshman eligibility and add a fifth year to play. Every one of those things would help and restore some sanity to the process. And requires zero help from the NBA. They could say if you declare for the draft you are immediately ineligible and must immediately repay any scholarship money you got, too. And that is just a short list. Those moves would force the NBA to change its business model most likely and would surely force guys like Calipari and K to change their recruiting model. And force players to decide whether they wanted to play college basketball or try to go pro. And what exactly would there be to challenge in court?

And you’d be litigating half of those in court for the next decade

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't know what replaying scholarship money would do except hurt fringe kids chances at a pro shot. The one and done's wouldn't care.

It wouldn't help the model at all. Just hurt the kids.

Reaction Score
And you’d be litigating half of those in court for the next decade
Hogwash. There is no “right” to play college basketball nor to be accepted at a particular college obviously or everyone eould go to Harvard. And since you already sign a contract when you get an athletic scholarship, with lots of requirements this is just a change in those and if you don’t want to agree you don’t have to sign. And in the past people who “tested the waters” lost eligibility going back to that would merely. Be an admission that kowtowing tobthe NBA didn’t work. I suppose anything can be litigated, a guy I know was sued for knocking a tooth out of a guy who broke into his house to rob it and then attacked my friend when he turned out to be home. But just because you can sue doesn’t mean you’ll win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not reading a garbage report that pretends to call for a return to an era of amateurism that never existed in post WWII America and even then there was pay for play. Gotta beat your rival or the alumni will cut off the money. Please.

One way to return to the era mild corruption is to take them off TV. Now that we've all had a good laugh do this.

1. Tax all athletic revenue, including donations. Call it what it is, a business enterprise.

2. All scholarships are for 4 years regardless of the athlete is their to use it or not. Ends the one and done era permanently. If you want to be sure, any contact with representatives of the major domestic leagues results in immediate loss of eligibility.

3. Pay them, or let them be paid for endorsements. If Pizza Hut wants to sponsor women golfers, let them. No title IX issues.

4. Freshmen are ineligible. Solves the fake student problem.

You can add as many other rules as you wish to address competition issues but big schools are always going to have the advantage. The market will sort out the rest. There are no NCAA regulations of Chemistry departments, why should we care if Michigan wants to spend billions on sports.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I found David Robinson’s comments about The UNC academic fraud ver interesting. What was unknown to me is that his son plays for Duke. Therein lies another problem - conflict of interest

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm not reading a garbage report that pretends to call for a return to an era of amateurism that never existed in post WWII America and even then there was pay for play. Gotta beat your rival or the alumni will cut off the money. Please.

One way to return to the era mild corruption is to take them off TV. Now that we've all had a good laugh do this.

1. Tax all athletic revenue, including donations. Call it what it is, a business enterprise.

2. All scholarships are for 4 years regardless of the athlete is their to use it or not. Ends the one and done era permanently. If you want to be sure, any contact with representatives of the major domestic leagues results in immediate loss of eligibility.

3. Pay them, or let them be paid for endorsements. If Pizza Hut wants to sponsor women golfers, let them. No title IX issues.

4. Freshmen are ineligible. Solves the fake student problem.

You can add as many other rules as you wish to address competition issues but big schools are always going to have the advantage. The market will sort out the rest. There are no NCAA regulations of Chemistry departments, why should we care if Michigan wants to spend billions on sports.

For#2 i assume you're including getting professional representation to talk to nba teams, and that won't fly. The Andy Oliver case proved that. Yes they agreed to throw it out as part of the settlement, but someone else can win again. The NCAA doesn't have the authority to deny a player of legal representation for their business affairs.

Also stopping them from talking to nba scouts is just a ridiculous take. It's like saying a chemistry major can't talk to Fisher Scientific or they lose their financial aid.

3 is such an obvious answer that it's pathetic the NCAA hasn't figured it out yet.

I also hope we see 4 so these guys have to go to the G League.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For#2 i assume you're including getting professional representation to talk to nba teams, and that won't fly. The Andy Oliver case proved that. Yes they agreed to throw it out as part of the settlement, but someone else can win again. The NCAA doesn't have the authority to deny a player of legal representation for their business affairs.

Also stopping them from talking to nba scouts is just a ridiculous take. It's like saying a chemistry major can't talk to Fisher Scientific or they lose their financial aid.

3 is such an obvious answer that it's pathetic the NCAA hasn't figured it out yet.

They can't stop them from talking. They can stop them from playing. No one has a right to play college sports. If you want to be a student athlete then be one. If you want to be a pro athlete then be that.

I see no legal issue here. If the bar moves from payoff and agents to scouts sneaking looks at workouts and counseling sessions then I'd declare victory and move on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I hate number 4.

In an era of guys not staying for 4 years and/or often transferring, it makes fielding a team very difficult year in year out. So many teams rely on freshman to plug holes, that I think it weakens the product to take it away.

It also takes away a valuable year of extra experience for the players who really need it (the non one and dones).

the Q

Reaction Score
I hate number 4.

In an era of guys not staying for 4 years and/or often transferring, it makes fielding a team very difficult year in year out. So many teams rely on freshman to plug holes, that I think it weakens the product to take it away.

It also takes away a valuable year of extra experience for the players who really need it (the non one and dones).

It would be interesting. Does that count as a redshirt year? Would we see way more grad transfers?

I'm ok with the Mo Bamba's of the world leading straight to the G League for a year before heading to the NBA if they want. But I highly doubt this will stop cheating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom