KML at Home with Team USA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KML at Home with Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I have been a very strong non-doubter all year! Go KML!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I noticed that too. :confused:

Yea, I figured that's what he meant after he used it not only on KML and Hartley, but also on Sims.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. I think it sounds really dumb. Especially used in this instance where another, more common, meaning could be interpreted (and was). It's easy to improve on too. Junior KML, Senior Hartley, Senior Sims. How difficult is that???

I suppose they are gonna start using "rising" Freshman, instead of incoming Freshman. :rolleyes:
The problem is how do you describe KML right now between years in college - we all happen to know she is between sophomore and junior years, but someone not following Uconn ball may have forgotten - calling her a 'sophomore' or a 'junior' is open to misinterpretation. So you either use the newish 'rising' designation or you end up with some more long winded description like 'who is heading into her junior year' or 'who just completed her sophomore year'. I'll settle for 'rising' - short, concise, and descriptive of the situation.
(Of course we are not actually privy to the players transcripts so academically any one of them may be well ahead or falling behind on the completion of credits on a four year schedule but I'll settle for the athletic eligibility criteria)

Reaction Score
And people are still questioning Jefferson getting the keys or suggesting that Banks or Chong will be starting PG before her. :rolleyes:

Saniya will prove to be a better all-around player than Moriah. She already shoots, rebounds, block shots and has better court vision than Moriah. Brianna Banks is not a point guard, so why would she start at point guard? Saniya will be the backup, for now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For me, once the sophomore year is completed, the student-athlete is by default a junior, unless she decides to leave school. I think "rising" is unnecessary.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Saniya will prove to be a better all-around player than Moriah. She already shoots, rebounds, block shots and has better court vision than Moriah.

Honestly, isn't that an absurd statement to make about a player who has yet to play a minute of college basketball? Not to mention how at this time last year, people were saying that Moriah was so talented that she would easily step into the PG role as a starter this past year. Saniya may be talented (as Moriah was and is), but she did not face top competition in high school and will have a lot to learn about the college game. We know nothing (really) about her maturity, ability to deal with adversity, on-court decision-making, ability to grasp the UConn offense, etc. Percentages say that it's unlikely that she will pass all of those tests with flying colors in her freshman year.

Count me among those who see Bria-Brianna (assuming BBanks is fully healthy) as the starting backcourt in 2013-14. I certainly think that both MoJeff and Saniya will get plenty of minutes (probably 15-20 minutes per game for both), but I think the B's will start. Neither is a natural point guard, but neither is without talent to run the offense and set up teammates. I think the experience factor, as well as Brianna's height and length and her defense, will count in her favor over MoJeff.

However, a lot depends on MoJeff's 3-point shot -- it was reputedly superb in high school, but MIA for all of last year. If she is back to her high-school form and accuracy as a jump shooter, that could win her a starting role.

Reaction Score
Saniya will prove to be a better all-around player than Moriah. She already shoots, rebounds, block shots and has better court vision than Moriah. Brianna Banks is not a point guard, so why would she start at point guard? Saniya will be the backup, for now.

So why would Saniya be the back up if "she shoots, rebounds, block shots and has better court vision than Moriah"?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seriously? What people?
I believe one is chris (see up a few posts). He is really really high on Chong, which is great. And if Chong ends up being better than Jefferson, I'd be happy as camel on hump day. But imo that's asking a lot.

and I love Banks and am high on Chong... But Mo Jeff is going to be the best PG we have ever seen not named Sue Bird, and but the time Mo Jeff is done, she might end up the best PG we've ever seen...
I'm in your court on this one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The problem is how do you describe KML right now between years in college -
Easy, she's a junior.
(Of course we are not actually privy to the players transcripts so academically any one of them may be well ahead or falling behind on the completion of credits on a four year schedule but I'll settle for the athletic eligibility criteria)
I was just thinking about that. They are probably if anything, ahead. (taking summer classes and such??)

But her athletic eligibility criteria is...a junior. 2 years left, a junior. Keep it simple, don't have to make up new words.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Was looking for TV and/or video streaming coverage of the WUG and noticed this press release:
For the first time, the Universiades will be telecast live in the US. ESPN will cover over 40 hours of Summer Universiade action on ESPNU and an additional 250 hours will be available live on ESPN3 from July 6 – 17, 2013. ESPN’s multiscreen sports network in the US is available to fans who receive their Internet or video subscription from an affiliated provider. It is accessible to more than 85 million households online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members and on Apple TV. ESPN coverage will focus on Basketball, Water Polo, Swimming, Track & Field, Beach Volleyball and Volleyball.

http://world-university-games.org/
note it is one of several press releases with the same link.

USA Schedule
http://www.usabasketball.com/womens/worlduniversity/schedule.html

Reaction Score
The problem is how do you describe KML right now between years in college - we all happen to know she is between sophomore and junior years, but someone not following Uconn ball may have forgotten - calling her a 'sophomore' or a 'junior' is open to misinterpretation. So you either use the newish 'rising' designation or you end up with some more long winded description like 'who is heading into her junior year' or 'who just completed her sophomore year'. I'll settle for 'rising' - short, concise, and descriptive of the situation.

Rising seems to be the description heard most often these days. However, due to it's additional qualitative interpretation, it can easily be misunderstood. Here are a few alternatives which might describe the situation more accurately: advancing, ascending, progressing, or transitional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom