KLS - very underrated | The Boneyard

KLS - very underrated

Reaction Score
To me, Katie-Lou is UConn's overall best player & should also be National Player of the Year. She is also UConn's most improved player. Her defense doesnt get noticed but she is blocking/altering shots left and right. She's the best shooter in the country, hands-down. She also creates match-up problems against any team, which doesnt get said enough. She could score 25 a night if she wanted to, but instead passes the ball to get everyone involved. Tough as nails as she plays long minutes, even when not 100%. Finally, she's the leader - both on and off the court. If Uconn wins the title this year, she wont be the only reason, but she'll be the main reason why.

The Duke game is a great example. I think she played a smart game & was key to the victory. She didnt put up gaudy stats but that was by design. She knew what it took to beat Duke. Yet, people are complaining that she didnt play well because she didnt score more points and "only" shot 40% from 3-point land! Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
To me, Katie-Lou is UConn's overall best player & should also be National Player of the Year. She is also UConn's most improved player. Her defense doesnt get noticed but she is blocking/altering shots left and right. She's the best shooter in the country, hands-down. She also creates match-up problems against any team, which doesnt get said enough. She could score 25 a night if she wanted to, but instead passes the ball to get everyone involved. Tough as nails as she plays long minutes, even when not 100%. Finally, she's the leader - both on and off the court. If Uconn wins the title this year, she wont be the only reason, but she'll be the main reason why.

The Duke game is a great example. I think she played a smart game & was key to the victory. She didnt put up gaudy stats but that was by design. She knew what it took to beat Duke. Yet, people are complaining that she didnt play well because she didnt score more points and "only" shot 40% from 3-point land! Unbelievable.
I agree with you, especially the NPOY part. But the NPOY will be the preordained, preseason favorite A'ja Wilson. The reason is because the WBB media (ESPN) has endorsed her and only her all season long. Plus Lou is, as you posted, the consument(sp) TEAM player and not a team showboat. Most voters probably only look at stats and UConn players aren't stat padding players but most are AAs.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Lou will get NPOY consideration until she’s a senior. It may be unfair, but Wilson is it this year whether we like it or not. I’d be shocked if she didn’t get it.

Reaction Score
Having watched the first few games of the tournament, it looks like they are running very few offensive sets for Lou. Likely by design.

If you go back and watch many of the big games this year, they have many sets that can get her open looks from outside, and in the midrange. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more sets run for her from here on, and more activity from Lou. When she really moves without the ball, she creates so many opportunities.

When games really become a chess match, I’m glad Geno has Lou as his queen.

Reaction Score
One more thing: Throughout this year, Lou has proven she is one tough competitor. Seems like she takes a physical pounding every game, but gives at least as much as she takes, if not more.

Reaction Score
So let me see if I get this straight ... ESPN provides terrible coverage because it doesnt care about WCBB, and yet it makes the effort to organize all its reporters and analysts to say that Wilson is NPOY regardless of what they really think.

Ok, got it.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love KLS and her improvement and what is now the most complete, balanced game in wcbb this year. Her guts, always looking for her teammates, and cheering for them fully are some of her exceptional characteristics.
I thought for most of the season she deserved NPOY but think she has not closed in on Wilson these last 4-5 games. I'm beginning to think her selflessness while very admirable can also be a flaw. When you are probably the best player on a very talented team, there are still times when one must be essentially involved in every possession. It doesn't mean having to score that much more, as her passing is probably as good as her shooting.
I don't buy that this is part of Geno's and the teams strategy for KLS to often just be passing it around the periphery. I'm not blaming KLS but last year no one took over as DT, MM & Stewie did and would have when needed. Yes, KLS is not yet in that glorified air but in order to win championships and get to that level, she needs to be much more consistently and regularly involved in the offense.
They may win with her usually solid performance anyway but her reaching for that next level will benefit the team and her as well.
Bronx23

Reaction Score

AMEN!!! PREACH ON!!!!!!

Reaction Score

Wait a sec. You're complaining Lou is underappreciated then credit her with only shooting 40% when she shoots 44.4%? Kettle meet pot. (Hey, somebody broke my smiley face emoticon...wtf? You're killing me here, mods.)

Reaction Score
While I agree that Lou is UConn's best and most improved player this year, I think that Wilson most deserves NPOY honors. Lou is a bit more efficient offensively, but A'ja has to face double-teams on offense much more often, and is a much better defensive player. The blocked shots totals are 105 Wilson, 6 Samuelson. The important thing is that Lou keeps improving, and gets two more championship rings. She should be the clear frontrunner for NPOY next year.

Reaction Score
This is going to rub all you Auriemma worshipers the wrong way but building an offense around a great player is why the coach is there and on D1 level also making the big bucks. It's his or her job to get that player and this is important, the rest of the team on the same page. Both the leading player and the rest of the team have to understand that is the way the offense will operate. With this special situation comes responsibility and not all peachy keen because that player has to deliver. Some players don't want it and the coach has to find out two things. Is that player worthy of this special position and can that player prosper in it. However, the only way to find out is is game conditions. Dean Smith was a great coach but I think he had a major weakness which cost him at least 2 titles. That weakness was his belief that his system was more important than a great player like Michael Jordan or Bob McAdoo who were both under played in the offense. In the women's game this issue is even more important because a supreme program like UConn only has to win 2 or 3 games vs teams who have a real chance to beat them. If this leading player offense is not used all the time it will not be well tuned for those few key games. In the case of KLS because of her rare offensive versatility there should be no chance for an opponent to take her out of the game. She can play inside or outside and with or without the ball. That's 4 ways plus multiple and varying combinations. Actually you want the opponent to defend your leading player but on your terms not theirs. If it's on your terms it's beneficial in at least 2 ways. You know where the defense is always going to be and the rest of your players will have plenty of space and chances to succeed (in this case benefit from KLS superior passing). Remember we are talking about a game that has just 5 players on a side and has been dominated by 1 or 2 of those on one side the majority of it's history since it's beginning and that will never change. If this type of player does not exist then, of course, the best action is the team concept which UConn is so good at. However, I believe that player does exist on this team in KLS.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don’t think she is under appreciated. Most think she is deserving of no worse than runner up or third for player of the year as a junior. That’s a pretty high level of recognition. All I know is that she’s fun to watch.

Reaction Score
NoelAustin, what do blocked shots have to do with NPOY? You want to compare stats: FG% Katie Lou .532% Wilson .539%; assists Katie Lou 112 Wilson 57; turnovers Katie Lou 39 Wilson 87; FT% Katie Lou .829 Wilson .736. Wilson took only 12 threes. Her shooting percentage should be a lot higher. Two different players with two different games.

Reaction Score
NoelAustin, what do blocked shots have to do with NPOY? You want to compare stats: FG% Katie Lou .532% Wilson .539%; assists Katie Lou 112 Wilson 57; turnovers Katie Lou 39 Wilson 87; FT% Katie Lou .829 Wilson .736. Wilson took only 12 threes. Her shooting percentage should be a lot higher. Two different players with two different games.
The OP specifically mentioned blocked shots as being part of the argument for Lou as NPOY. Otherwise I would not have brought it up.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This is going to rub all you Auriemma worshipers the wrong way but building an offense around a great player is why the coach is there and on D1 level also making the big bucks. It's his or her job to get that player and this is important, the rest of the team on the same page. Both the leading player and the rest of the team have to understand that is the way the offense will operate. With this special situation comes responsibility and not all peachy keen because that player has to deliver. Some players don't want it and the coach has to find out two things. Is that player worthy of this special position and can that player prosper in it. However, the only way to find out is is game conditions. Dean Smith was a great coach but I think he had a major weakness which cost him at least 2 titles. That weakness was his belief that his system was more important than a great player like Michael Jordan or Bob McAdoo who were both under played in the offense. In the women's game this issue is even more important because a supreme program like UConn only has to win 2 or 3 games vs teams who have a real chance to beat them. If this leading player offense is not used all the time it will not be well tuned for those few key games. In the case of KLS because of her rare offensive versatility there should be no chance for an opponent to take her out of the game. She can play inside or outside and with or without the ball. That's 4 ways plus multiple and varying combinations. Actually you want the opponent to defend your leading player but on your terms not theirs. If it's on your terms it's beneficial in at least 2 ways. You know where the defense is always going to be and the rest of your players will have plenty of space and chances to succeed (in this case benefit from KLS superior passing). Remember we are talking about a game that has just 5 players on a side and has been dominated by 1 or 2 of those on one side the majority of it's history since it's beginning and that will never change. If this type of player does not exist then, of course, the best action is the team concept which UConn is so good at. However, I believe that player does exist on this team in KLS.

As great as KLS is she's NOT Michael Jordan. She can be the best scorer on this team but she's not Jordan. Anybody in WBB can take ONE player out of the game. We've seen it plenty of times. The team cannot become reliant on one player and have that player knocked off her game.

Reaction Score
When Lou is at her best, she is the best. I think that other teams do not underrate her and focus their defenses accordingly. Just as when Stewie was a Junior, the opposing teams realize that being very physical can put her off her game. Many of the opposing players are not above hitting her in the face. Between the physical play and the ankle injury (didn't Geno mention that she was having trouble getting up to game speed, because of limited practice time?), she seems to be struggling a bit lately as well. I hope that for the rest of the tournament she can take over the games and show the NPOY voters what opposing coaches already know, that KLS is the best.

Reaction Score
As great as KLS is she's NOT Michael Jordan. She can be the best scorer on this team but she's not Jordan. Anybody in WBB can take ONE player out of the game. We've seen it plenty of times. The team cannot become reliant on one player and have that player knocked off her game.
She also, of course, doesn't play vs anywhere near the competition. Your comment lacks thought. I wasn't comparing her to MJ. I was comparing their situations. I doubt you have any idea who McAdoo was. You missed my point entirely but also may have made it even more clear because MJ wasn't the player you know in college. He became that player in the NBA when he was correctly enabled to be. If it was so easy to take great players out of a BB game there would be hardly any famous ones. It depends on what kind of a player he or she is and I said that she was the exact type of player that would be very difficult to take out of the majority of a WCB game. She is also the exact type of player who would not hinder but very much help the rest of the players succeed. I don't think a basketball coach should ever allow an opponent to take a great offensive player out of the majority of a game. I feel that can be one of his most important contributions. That is just is my view.

Reaction Score

I hope she doesnt need to rely on this shot on Monday night.

DAMN!!!! LOVE IT... Want to see more of it... More half court shots!

She had 17 points... 7 assist... with each assist a minimum of 2 points if not more... so she is responsible for 31 points minimum to Wilson's 27 points and no assist... Just saying... I know who I would rather have on my team ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom