KLS Talks the Ankle | The Boneyard

KLS Talks the Ankle

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The pain from her left ankle showed on her face. Her limp as she made her way around the area near the University of Connecticut women's basketball team's locker room was noticeable.

"Do you need surgery?" she was asked.

"I don't know," Samuelson answered in a near whisper."

But Lou played possum with the doctors. "We were never shy with the fact I might need surgery," Samuelson said Monday at UConn coach Geno Auriemma's Fore the Kids charity golf tournament at Hartford Golf Club. "We knew it might be a possibility. But I tried to tone it out as much as possibly I could. On doctor's visits, I wouldn't necessarily pay attention to what was wrong with me. I felt … Not being in the dark but believing my ankle was better than it was. It was more of a shock afterwards when I talked to the doctors and what they had to do and what had to be done to fix it."

"I could feel myself feeling not as good as the season went on and at the end it was a struggle," Samuelson said. "Maybe I could have done more. Maybe I could have played better defense if I moved a little better. But instead of looking back at how I felt, I'm excited to look ahead and see what I can do for our team."

"I already knew before this year how tough she was," her older sister, Los Angeles Sparks guard Karlie Samuelson, said. "But what people need to know is how resilient Lou is. She'll do anything for her team. She'll do anything to help her team win."

UConn's Samuelson moving slowly, surely on comeback trail

Now that's a team mate and a warrior.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I am totally in awe. Nothing but admiration and respect.

I could tell by the Final Four that it had taken a toll and she was struggling, yet still competing like the warrior she is.

A friend of mine who is going through a major medical issue told me he isn't trying to beat anything - he said he is simply showing up and doing what he is told, without fail. Maybe some good advice there for Lou and for all of us. Incremental progress day by day, don't force the issue.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou has Left UCONN!!

She went back home for awhile.....didn't mean to scare you.

So does she go to the beach to work on the tan...Nope. To the Mall...Nope.
Her first day back in California she goes to a Cal Swish practice to talk to the girls who are having one of their regular practices. She is a major asset for the sport and always gives back.
By the way, Lou's sister Karlie has done the same, and she is in the WNBA, as I have seen at her a recent tournament.

Lou's ankle still has a brace on it but she is getting better, just not pushing it......yet.

Reaction Score
KLS is one of my all time favorite U Conn player. She has the heart of a lion and does everything she can to make things easier or better for her teammates and others.
She has worked as hard as any player I remember to continually improve her game and skill set. If she can stay healthy this year, I think she will become an absolute beast.
And always with a smile on her face and a sensible answer to the questions she's given.
I just want to see her take a strong leadership hold of the team, and take over in the big moments. That would lead to a pretty sure 3x first team AA, maybe NPOY, maybe another championship where she can play in and win a NC.
The respect that she has for Geno and the coaching staff and them for her speaks volumes.
Take it slow KLS and get fully healthy and strong!
Bronx23

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I am annoyed that she played all 45 minutes when she was physically not able to give what the team needed. I think the coaches missed the boat by not giving her a break. I remember wondering why she was not up to par on defense. I now know.

Reaction Score
I am annoyed that she played all 45 minutes when she was physically not able to give what the team needed. I think the coaches missed the boat by not giving her a break. I remember wondering why she was not up to par on defense. I now know.

Can’t blame the coaches. My daughter played with a bum Achilles’ tendon. Coach asked if she was okay. She said she was fine. Played the entire 40 mins.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't think you get it. What separates great athletes from people like me is the heart that will not stop and will not quit. The greatest quality an athlete can have is a heart like KLS. I hope this year she gets all she suffered for, AA, POY, and (most important to her) a senior year national championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom