KLS on Dawn Staley Award List | The Boneyard

KLS on Dawn Staley Award List

Reaction Score
For best guard in US. UConn's Samuelson on Dawn Staley Award watch list

I guess that settles it. She's a guard. :cool:
Katie Lou is Guard, Point Guard, Wing, Post , Center---that is KLS!!
The greater questions is: On the 13th if KLS hits 35 points and rebounds 10 or more and another dozen assists--will she still be on Dawns list for an award?? I would guess she may make Dawns other list!!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I know this is blasphemous to post on a Connecticut Board but KLS isn't even close to being the best player on this list.....

Reaction Score
I know this is blasphemous to post on a Connecticut Board but KLS isn't even close to being the best player on this list......
I have to disagree with "isn't even close". She is the only sophomore on the list and is the leading scorer on the best team in the nation (there could be a debate as to whether she's the best player on her team). She's "close enough" and while others (for instance your own Kelsey Mitchell) may be more physically talented, that does NOT make them "better", at least at this point in time.

s

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with "isn't even close". She is the only sophomore on the list and is the leading scorer on the best team in the nation (there could be a debate as to whether she's the best player on her team). She's "close enough" and while others (for instance your own Kelsey Mitchell) may be more physically talented, that does NOT make them "better", at least at this point in time.

s
I believe in the eye test, and KLS's issue isn't necessarily with talent although that is a huge factor. Most of the other players on the list are ball-dominant players that play in offenses that feature them, like my own Kelsey Mitchell. It's remarkable and a tribute to her talent that she puts up the numbers she does in the system she plays in. If she played on a team that featured her, she'd average 35.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I know this is blasphemous to post on a Connecticut Board but KLS isn't even close to being the best player on this list......

What have you been smoking?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I believe in the eye test, and KLS's issue isn't necessarily with talent although that is a huge factor. Most of the other players on the list are ball-dominant players that play in offenses that feature them, like my own Kelsey Mitchell. It's remarkable and a tribute to her talent that she puts up the numbers she does in the system she plays in. If she played on a team that featured her, she'd average 35.
I hope we haven't reached the point where these awards are given based on a player's individual numbers or on her physical talent. In all fairness, the award should be based on who (as a guard) does the most to help her team win. Players who score a lot of points by jacking up a ton of shots and hitting a relatively low percentage of them, or who have low assist numbers, high turnovers, or poor defensive habits, should not win over less talented players who do more for their team.

Having said that, and not having watched a ton of non-UConn games, I would think that Kelsey Plum, Alexis Jones, and Sydney Wiese should probably be the front runners on this list. I think that Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond Deshields, while more talented than those players, have some of the bad habits mentioned in the previous paragraph and should not really be contenders for the award.

Reaction Score
Plum wins this easily 30.9 ppg, 5.1 apg, 5.3 rpg shooting 53% from the field, 44.7% from three, 89.3% from free throw line.

Reaction Score

It's not blasphemous, just not accurate. Not sure their is another guard that can score from anywhere and in anyway. She is definitely a more complete player than Mitchell. It's not even close.

Reaction Score

If when you say "if she was featured she would avg 35" your right KLS would. Fortunately she plays on a team that is balanced and dominates so it's not necessary. Mitchell's handle is about the only area I see a clear advantage, with that said, I never see KLS get stopped on a drive. KLS FG% is better overall and from 3. She is also better without the ball in my opinion, including in the post.

Also, stating her (lack of) talent is huge just lost you credibility. I guess the basketball world is wrong having her as the #1 recruit because she lacks talent.

Reaction Score
I know this is blasphemous to post on a Connecticut Board but KLS isn't even close to being the best player on this list....
Every one is entitle to their opinions on this board----regardless of how stupid they may be!!

Reaction Score
I hope we haven't reached the point where these awards are given based on a player's individual numbers or on her physical talent. In all fairness, the award should be based on who (as a guard) does the most to help her team win. Players who score a lot of points by jacking up a ton of shots and hitting a relatively low percentage of them, or who have low assist numbers, high turnovers, or poor defensive habits, should not win over less talented players who do more for their team.

Having said that, and not having watched a ton of non-UConn games, I would think that Kelsey Plum, Alexis Jones, and Sydney Wiese should probably be the front runners on this list. I think that Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond Deshields, while more talented than those players, have some of the bad habits mentioned in the previous paragraph and should not really be contenders for the award.

I agree (mostly)--if you have an award for PLAYER --it should reflect what a good or great player must do---to me KLS is a great player---if the award for SCORER--then that must be it's title-Plum wins the scorer award---KLS wins the PLAyER award.

We have seen Mitchel, Plum and a bit of Diamond---as scorers they are good--Diamond needs motivation--Mitchel will try to Score--But KLS has not been shut down this year by defenses
Uconn held Plum in check until the game was settled then let her score. Yes I am biased towards KLS---this is a UConN Women's BB board--not Ohio, Tenn, or uW site.

Reaction Score
Objectively what do you think Lou has done better then Plum this year? While Plum has taken more shots, she is also shooting better from the field, from three, and from the free throw line. She is not just scoring more by taking more shots, she is shooting the ball better as well. Plum has more then twice as many assist with a much better assist to turn over ratio. Plum 5.3 rebounds per game, Lou 3.9 rebounds per game. Plum 45 steals, Lou 32 steals.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It's not blasphemous, just not accurate. Not sure their is another guard that can score from anywhere and in anyway. She is definitely a more complete player than Mitchell. It's not even close.
Since I'm a fan of tOSU, your default assumption seems to be that I'm comparing and contrasting KLS to Kelsey Mitchell, but KMitch isn't the only player on this list, is she? KLS isn't a more complete player that KMitch, but I won't belabor that point with you, you are after all entitled to your OPINION. Kelsey Plum is averaging 30 ppg while shooting 50% from the field, 40% in 3-point FG and 90% from the FT Line. Mitchell is the 6th leading scorer in the country and a two-time AA, Mitchell also leads her team in assists and steals. There are 19 players on the list and the comparison was to all of them not just one. Objectivity and sports don't mix well, but some of us try. To say Katie Lou Samuelson isn't the best guard or best player in America doesn't denigrate her in any way, it's the truth. That doesn't mean she's not a great player or that she doesn't play on a great team, but the Staley Award is an individual award not a team award and KLS doesn't deserve it this year, no matter who she plays for.

Reaction Score
Since I'm a fan of tOSU, your default assumption seems to be that I'm comparing and contrasting KLS to Kelsey Mitchell, but KMitch isn't the only player on this list, is she? KLS isn't a more complete player that KMitch, but I won't belabor that point with you, you are after all entitled to your OPINION. Kelsey Plum is averaging 30 ppg while shooting 50% from the field, 40% in 3-point FG and 90% from the FT Line. Mitchell is the 6th leading scorer in the country and a two-time AA, Mitchell also leads her team in assists and steals. There are 19 players on the list and the comparison was to all of them not just one. Objectivity and sports don't mix well, but some of us try. To say Katie Lou Samuelson isn't the best guard or best player in America doesn't denigrate her in any way, it's the truth. That doesn't mean she's not a great player or that she doesn't play on a great team, but the Staley Award is an individual award not a team award and KLS doesn't deserve it this year, no matter who she plays for.

1) You said she is "not close," so don't try to act as if you were not putting her game down. She is a finalist, not just for this award but also NPOY.

2) Stats do not provide the full story. Mitchell has the ball in her hand on every position. Who is better shooter, player in post, etc...

3) I agree that at this moment Plum deserves the award over everyone else.

Reaction Score

I wasn't sure where you were going with this - in that maybe you thought Lou really isn't a guard. I don't really classify her as a guard this year. But - whatever.

Now I see that isn't the case-- can you mention how many players at UCONN system in the system they paly in get a chance to even score over 20 per game which Lou is averaging right now? I think in the Geno era only two players ever have averaged over 20 per game.

There is this myth out there "deny Lou the ball." As long as she has decent teammates, overall it can't be done. She is too tall and just needs a pick. It's not like every team has players in the 6'1 and 6'4 range that are extremely quick and great defenders. Lou is 6'3. She really can't be stopped from shooting the ball.

So your comment is correct -- if you are talking about Lou. She would average an extreme amount in another system if she was the feature similar to Mitchell. They would just run different sets to get Lou open. Lou is 6'3 and has a high release. She can get off her shot anytime with a decent pick. She is tall enough to really punish small players and slower big players have no hope of getting close enough to her whether it be from movement or a pick for her to get off her shot - which she has a high release.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom